emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,044

Post#2 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:59 am

I really don't want to go anywhere near Boris Diaw. I think he's a guy who put up stats in a system a couple years ago. Now he's the French Tim Thomas.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#3 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:01 am

If Diaw wasn't one of the most overrated players in the league and overpaid, I would consider this deal. Sadly, he is.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#4 » by Mags FTW » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:04 am

When are coming back out in Milwaukee? I want to tell you this trade sucks in person.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#5 » by Nowak008 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:13 am

Diaw isn't a good fit in PHX anymore. His game is too similar to Stoudamires. I think a change of scenery would be great for him. Also in this deal we get a lottery pick and save a lot of money. I would be happy to get this kinda value out of Redd. We get a guy who help the team now while still getting a valuable piece going forward.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:

LUKE23
RealGM

Post#6 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:16 am

Diaw just isn't very good. He and Amare's games are similar in what way? Amare is a power athlete and at the basket scorer with no passing ability and very minimal range, Diaw is a finesse mid post passing SF/PF that rarely goes inside. He had one great year in a perfect system, but there is a reason that he was drafted where he was and also a reason he did absolutely nothing in Atlanta before coming out of nowhere with that one great season.

He's at the top of the overrated list in the NBA. Top 5.
Nowak008
RealGM

Post#7 » by Nowak008 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:17 am

Mags FTW wrote:When are coming back out in Milwaukee? I want to tell you this trade sucks in person.

Hey I was in Miltown 2 weeks ago, your fault you didn't make it over to where we were.

Brewers game Sat? I'll bring the Natty light. 8)
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#8 » by Mags FTW » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:21 am

I'm working, but I can meet you out afterwards.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#9 » by Wise1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:25 am

Mags FTW wrote:When are coming back out in Milwaukee? I want to tell you this trade sucks in person.

:lol:
Nowak008
RealGM

Post#10 » by Nowak008 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:30 am

LUKE23 wrote:Diaw just isn't very good. He and Amare's games are similar in what way? Amare is a power athlete and at the basket scorer with no passing ability and very minimal range, Diaw is a finesse mid post passing SF/PF that rarely goes inside.

They are similar in that: neither are great rebounders, 3 point shooters(what PHX needs), or shot blockers. It is well documented that Diaw and Stoudimire have had problems co exiting.

He had one great year in a perfect system, but there is a reason that he was drafted where he was and also a reason he did absolutely nothing in Atlanta before coming out of nowhere with that one great season.

What does ATL have to do with anything? He was 23 when he was dealt.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:

Nowak008
RealGM

Post#11 » by Nowak008 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:38 am

Europa has to like this deal. It follows his plan of getting a solid veteran while getting a good young player. :)
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:

BankIt
Junior
And1: 0

Post#12 » by BankIt » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:26 am

No. The Bucks need Redd's scoring more than this trade.
If the Bucks receive Battier and Scola rather than the Diaw combination then we're closer.
Whiteman
Rookie
And1: 209

Post#13 » by Whiteman » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:48 am

LUKE23 wrote:Diaw just isn't very good. He and Amare's games are similar in what way? Amare is a power athlete and at the basket scorer with no passing ability and very minimal range, Diaw is a finesse mid post passing SF/PF that rarely goes inside.

Their games are very different, but they both prefer to play from the high post. Point is that Diaw was great when Amare was injured, but can't seem to play together with Amare.

You can argue that they Suns' system made him look great, you can also argue that the make-up of the current Suns team makes him look worse than he is.
He's also had some conditioning issues, he's probably not the most disciplined player.

As far as his game is concerned: he goes inside often enough. He's a decent finisher, but prefers to drive and kick. He's a great passer, decent midrange shooter (but doesn't really have 3-point range) and is able to post up any SF in the league. He's also a decent to good defender on the 3,4 and even the 5 spot.
He had one great year in a perfect system, but there is a reason that he was drafted where he was and also a reason he did absolutely nothing in Atlanta before coming out of nowhere with that one great season.

Does draft position still matter after 5 years in the league? After a 13/7/6 season that included 20/7/5 in the playoffs? He did nothing in Atlanta in his first 2 seasons in the league, because they played him out of position - at guard.
NotYoAvgNBAFan
Junior
And1: 1

Post#14 » by NotYoAvgNBAFan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:50 am

Sometimes I think you people are doing this deliberately to see what you can stir up! This does not make sense at all. You keep bringing up the same player over and over again...

If this is the best that a GM can do then there is no hope here whatsoever of turning this team around. You might as well kept Larry Harris. Diaw like Howard is garbage in a trade for Redd.

How many times did I tell you DONT BRING NO SOFT PLAYERS BACK HERE FOR REDD!!!!

WTH is Boris Diaw!? What the hell do we need with him!? He is another finesse jump shooter with no real dominant assets and the wrong type of player!

He is a complementary type player for a team like Boston or right where he is it. Not here on a team looking for a Star and an identity and some competitive toughness.

Are you people living on Mars!? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

How does he help Yi and Bogut in the paint? How does he enforce and take over games when you've dealt your franchise player? And what do you need with another draft pick????????????

I am astounded at some of you fans reasoning...You are the new school internet site fans that simply do not know how you build a winner.

We dont need Boris Diaw! Yi Jianlian or Ersan Ilyasova is Boris Diaw!

He is complementary player that needs to be on the right team for the right fit. You do not trade a role player for a franchise face and a guy for better or worse is an Olympian in Michael Redd!?

Plus you want two scrubs along with him on a team already beset by them and guaranteed contracts.

This is the epitome of short-sightedness. WTF do you think Diaw can do and bring here when he is surrounded around average to raw and very unproven players!?

You are back in the lottery agian next year without any trading chips to move then except Bogut!

Dumb deal....no way in hell should Hammond do this. This is a Larry Harris type trade with Herb Kohl restriants with the ok from his crooners and inner circle not a John Hammond one.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#15 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:33 pm

I don't see how anyone who watches the Suns at all can call Amare and Diaw's games similar. Diaw is a creator, Amare has zero passing ability. Diaw is not a power player at all, while that is Amare's game (attacking the rim with his athletic ability).

Diaw IS NOT GOOD. People are letting that 13/6/6 season or whatever it was cloud their judgment, if you look at the overall sample you will see that is an anomaly. And then you have a bad salary on top of that.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#16 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:38 pm

Whiteman wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Does draft position still matter after 5 years in the league? After a 13/7/6 season that included 20/7/5 in the playoffs? He did nothing in Atlanta in his first 2 seasons in the league, because they played him out of position - at guard.

He's played five full seasons. Outside of that one season, his best year is 9.7/4.3/4.8. He has zero three point shooting ability and is an average FT shooter, so you have to put him at PF. If you put him at PF he's a well below average rebounder. He's a below average scorer no matter what position you put him at. The only thing he does above average is pass the ball.

But I'll take a 297 game sample over an 81 game sample any day of the week.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wise1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:43 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I don't see how anyone who watches the Suns at all can call Amare and Diaw's games similar. Diaw is a creator, Amare has zero passing ability. Diaw is not a power player at all, while that is Amare's game (attacking the rim with his athletic ability).

Diaw IS NOT GOOD. People are letting that 13/6/6 season or whatever it was cloud their judgment, if you look at the overall sample you will see that is an anomaly. And then you have a bad salary on top of that.

Hell, he may have it, but he DEFINITELY doesn't like to use it. Fortunately for the Suns, he's a great finisher.
Wise1
RealGM

Post#18 » by Wise1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:44 pm

Diaw isn't going to help this team. I'd pass on him.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks