ImageImage

1st team on Fox claims Anti-Bucks Conspiracy

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

1st team on Fox claims Anti-Bucks Conspiracy 

Post#1 » by smooth 'lil balla » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:02 pm

Did't want to put this in the 2002 playoffs are fixed thread as it deserves it's own thread.

Steve Czaban (I belive he's known in Milw for being on the bob and bryan show), lead Host of the First Team on Fox's national daily radio show in the morning claiimed there was a bigger fix than the Kings/Lakers fix. In my head I'm thinking, 2001 ECF, but there's no way that's what he's talking about.

He goes on to say, the Bucks/Sixers 2001 ECF was a huge fix. Goes on to point to all the stats.

48 more personal fouls called on Bucks during the series

11 technicals for Bucks, 2 technicals for Sixers

5 flagrant fouls on Bucks, none on Sixers

Scott Williams getting removed from game 7 for questionable flagrant fould call

Bucks shot only 3 free throws in one of the games

Dikembe Mutombo, who avearaged something like 6 free throws/game through six games got 19 free throws in game 7

Philly 6th biggest tv market, bucks 30th (or 39th)

This makes me sick. Stern must go!
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#2 » by BobbyLight » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:05 pm

There is talk of this on the general board. I always thought something was up, but talked myself out of it. Now I don't know.
gobbler
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by gobbler » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:14 pm

I still think the Miami - Dallas finals were fixed. I came into the series not even knowing who to cheer for and a big Wade fan. I left the series questioning whether I would ever watch the NBA again. It wasn't the last call that was all publicized either. It was horrible, horrible calls that allowed Miami to kill Dallas' momentum earlier in games. The NBA obviously wanted its exciting young star paired with the popular Shaq to win.
lawry beard wrote:Does anyone else find it ironic that the only player in the NBA the bucks can shut down is Bogut?
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#4 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:22 pm

I had a big problem with how D-Whistle was officiated as well. You hate to dislike someone for receiving a gift they didn't ask for, but it really wasn't fun to watch.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#5 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:31 pm

The foul/FT discrepancy was apalling, and Scott Williams getting a flagrant-2 and getting suspended for game 7 of the series was one of the biggest joke rulings I've ever seen. If we are talking conspiracies, this series has to be near the top of the list for speculation.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#6 » by europa » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:46 pm

Some (perhaps many) of the Bucks players at the time certainly believed there was something fishy about the way the series was being officiated. Wasn't it Ray who came out and directly stated the league didn't want to see a Bucks-Lakers Finals? I believe that was the case. If we're going to look at playoff series the league may have fixed against the Bucks, that one certainly comes to mind and I'll say again that the 87 Bucks-Celtics Eastern Conference semifinals series would be a very difficult one to ignore as well.
Nothing will not break me.
BobbyLight
RealGM

Post#7 » by BobbyLight » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:48 pm

Here is a link to the article you are refrencing europa. It's a very interesting read all these years later.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2001/200 ... 08098.html
Andrewoc83
Junior
And1: 4

Post#8 » by Andrewoc83 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:51 pm

It was Shaq and the Lakers vs. either the Milwaukee Bucks, a tiny market team that didn't have any league-wide allure or the 76ers featuring that year's MVP, Allen Iverson, Defensive Player of the Year, Dikembe Mutombo, and Coach of the Year, Larry Brown.

I would say, G-rob had a 9 foot jumper that could put all of this conspiracy talk to rest, but all of the fouls they called, and Scotty Williams' flagrant were just too suspicious for me not to second guess it.

I thought I suppressed all of these feelings, but they've all of a sudden come back, and it hurts again.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

Mark Twain
braindazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#9 » by braindazer » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:51 pm

Didn't Karl get in trouble for complaining about the calls?
it's always funny............... TILL I GET HURT!!!!
BobbyLight
RealGM

Post#10 » by BobbyLight » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:54 pm

Someone also mentioned the Kobe being from Philly sub-plot. Not saying that confirms anything, but it can add fuel to the fire.
europa
RealGM

Post#11 » by europa » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:58 pm

"I think there's no question about that. The league, as a marketing machine, the bottom line is about making money," Allen said. "It behooves everybody for the league to make more money, and the league knows that Philadelphia is going to make more money with L.A. than we would with L.A."

Somebody in LA needs to ask Ray about this quote. It sounds like Tim Donaghy (or his lawyer) could have said it.
europa
RealGM

Post#12 » by europa » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:59 pm

Here's another beauty. I had forgotten about this one. Somebody can ask Stern about this while they're at it. :D

Allen said members of his family had told him that they were sitting across from NBA commissioner David Stern on Sunday and noticed him stand up to watch a replay after it appeared Allen got away with committing a foul against Iverson that wasn't called.

"He jumped up real mad like he was cheering for Philly," Allen said.
THE DINJ
Starter
And1: 121

Post#13 » by THE DINJ » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:59 pm

There has never been a doubt in my mind that that series was fixed.
PaBuck
Sophomore

Post#14 » by PaBuck » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:01 pm

David Stern has always been about money and not the purity of the game. With this as your priority, it is no wonder that the NBA is in trouble. He may try to dismiss Donaghy, but when you plea bargain, you get nowhere unless you can substantiate, at least to some degree, your claims. Even Rose on ESPN last night said that with the subjectivity of foul calling, anything is believable.
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#15 » by smooth 'lil balla » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:12 pm

europa wrote:"I think there's no question about that. The league, as a marketing machine, the bottom line is about making money," Allen said. "It behooves everybody for the league to make more money, and the league knows that Philadelphia is going to make more money with L.A. than we would with L.A."

Somebody in LA needs to ask Ray about this quote. It sounds like Tim Donaghy (or his lawyer) could have said it.

This really makes me sick. The change at the executive level needs to be demanded by the owners and the players union. Hell, i'm sure some of the owners are even ok with the way the NBA is run (IMO memphis got something out of the gasol deal other than what's being reported).

The players union needs to demand a complete overhaul of the NBA executive committee (Stern and cronies).
BobbyLight
RealGM

Post#16 » by BobbyLight » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:22 pm

smooth 'lil balla wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The players union needs to demand a complete overhaul of the NBA executive committee (Stern and cronies).

Unfortunatley I don't think the players have much power here. I think we need the owners to step up and oust him and pick a new commish. Like you said, some owners may have no poblem with what is going on, but if I was an ower and a competitive person I would be wanting changes. Conspiracy or not, the NBA's officiating is in question way too often and needs to be fixed.

Something else I have found interesting latley is Mark Cuban has been given the company line for the NBA the last two or three years, after being the most rebellious owner in all the 4 sports. Now I feel like this has something to do with a little extra help the leauge may have gave him in the 06 Rockets series. Maybe Stern said "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine." This can only get more interesting.
PaBuck
Sophomore

Post#17 » by PaBuck » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:34 pm

The only silver lining I see in this dark cloud is that the Celtics may now have a legitimate shot at winning the NBA title. With the scrutiny the remaining games will be under, Stern will be afraid to influence the outcome. Finally we get to see a few finals not influenced by referee's call. :clap: News came a little late to save the Spurs!

As for Mark Cuban and Jeff Van Gundy, no matter how much money you have, stiff fines will eventually get to to buckle under to company policy!
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#18 » by WEFFPIM » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:37 pm

The 2001 ECF aren't as vivid in my mind as they probably should be, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it came out that it was fixed.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,212

Post#19 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:40 pm

PaBuck wrote:... News came a little late to save the Spurs!

Well the Spurs did win 4 titles.

As for Stern. He's 65, time to hit the road. The NBA could use a fresh face in charge. I believe Tags was 65 when he stepped down from the NFL. Of course Bud is 102 so who knows.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#20 » by WEFFPIM » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:40 pm

europa wrote:Here's another beauty. I had forgotten about this one. Somebody can ask Stern about this while they're at it. :D

Allen said members of his family had told him that they were sitting across from NBA commissioner David Stern on Sunday and noticed him stand up to watch a replay after it appeared Allen got away with committing a foul against Iverson that wasn't called.

"He jumped up real mad like he was cheering for Philly," Allen said.

I'm pretty sure rilamann posted a Youtube video of the end of Game 4 in which Stern walks over to Dikembe Mutumbo, shakes his hand, and they exchange words.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks