Durbanfish4
Sophomore
And1: 0

Bucks exploring options 

Post#1 » by Durbanfish4 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:38 pm

Bucks continue to explore options
By Tom Enlund
Wednesday, Jun 18 2008, 02:13 PM

Bucks general manager John Hammond has said that he will explore any and all options in an attempt to improve the team for next season. That includes the draft, free agency and trades.

The grapevine has been heating up as next week's draft approaches and any number of Bucks players have been linked to various rumored trades. But will the Bucks, who currently hold the eighth overall pick, actually pull the trigger on a deal to move up or down or even out of the draft?

Hammond said Wednesday that it was far too early to tell at this point.

Asked about the likelihood of a Bucks' trade, Hammond said, "I don't think there's any way to predict. But sitting here today at 8 on the 18th of June, I can say we don't have a deal to move up or to move down."

As the Bucks continue to explore their options for the draft, they are also preparing for a possible trade involving a team drafting in front of them since they would throw off all of the draft projections.

"That's what you're looking at too," said Hammond. "The potential for something like that happening before the draft and even on draft night...You look up and you say, ‘Wow, we didn't expect this guy to go here' and then usually within a few minutes, Commissioner (David) Stern steps up the microphone and says a trade has been made. You've got to prepare, but you can't predict."

The Bucks will continue to bring draft prospects into town for workouts in the days leading up to the June 26th draft. They have had two groups in already for workouts and they had another such session planned for Friday although Hammond said that workout may be cancelled. Two more workouts are tentatively planned for next Monday and Tuesday. The Bucks announce what players will be attending on the day or the workout.

There is much draft preparation to be done in the week ahead.

"It's still an ongoing process," said Hammond. "There's still a lot of movement ahead of us."

Looks like right now there are no deals available where the Bucks would move up or down the draft, although by Hammond not addressing whether or not there may be a deal to move out of the draft we can only infer that there may be something available.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Re: Bucks exploring options 

Post#2 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:44 pm

I expect us to keep the pick and use it at #8. Trading up, down, and out is fun to talk about, but the vast majority of the teams do not do this and/or cannot find another party to accomodate that request. Most teams end up using their picks where they are slotted at.

I have a feeling the Bucks feel comfortable about one of "their guys" slipping to #8, especially if they are as high on Alexander as most of the publications are stating.
cam2win
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#3 » by cam2win » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:50 pm

Enlund could have saved the 10 minutes it took him to research and type this blog by just writing......"I know nothing....."
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#4 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:55 pm

The only way #8 will be traded is with another player, I don't see it being traded alone. If Hammond doesn't see a guy at #8 who is worth having then chances are neither do the other GM's.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
monitor33
Senior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by monitor33 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:38 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:The only way #8 will be traded is with another player, I don't see it being traded alone. If Hammond doesn't see a guy at #8 who is worth having then chances are neither do the other GM's.

Well, to some degree I disagree with that. Some GM's look for pieces that fit, not for BPA. Maybe another team has a position they want to fill at that spot, or a player that they rate much higher.
Displaced Bucks fan. Here in LA, Heart at Kopps.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks