ImageImage

Great Rumors from other papers today (Love, TJ, Wade)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Re: Great Rumors from other papers today (Love, TJ, Wade) 

Post#81 » by europa » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:15 am

I never cease to be amused at how so many people seem to be obsessed with my thoughts about Ford but they almost always seem to get them wrong. One would think that if you're that obsessed with someone's point of view and feel compelled to talk about it constantly you might get it right. At least once in awhile. A smart person would probably stop obsessing and move on instead of feeling the need to hammer away incorrectly at another poster time after time after time again. Maybe some day that will happen here though I'm sure not going to hold my breath waiting.
Nothing will not break me.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#82 » by midranger » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:48 am

So your position is that everyone is wrong but you?

I'm stun.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#83 » by El Duderino » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:36 am

Both Diaw and Ford have contracts that are likely bigger than they'd be able to get if they were free agents right now. So while some teams out there could be intrigued about adding either player to their team, both come with some negative value because of their contracts. A trade of them straight up doesn't strike me as unreasonable, not sure why the rumor though has the Raptors including their first rounder also.

Plus, for the Suns, i don't see TJ being a happy camper about coming off the bench. My guess is the Mr. Crabass side of Ford's personality would come out in full force at some point, if not right away as he doesn't see his name in the starting lineup. Ford and pick #17 would be outstanding value for Diaw, but if that comes with a chronically pissed off TJ, that just might be more headache than the trade value is worth.
europa
RealGM

Post#84 » by europa » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:42 am

I think there's a difference between Ford coming off the bench behind Jose Calderon than there is Steve Nash. I like Calderon a lot but he isn't Steve Nash and I'm sure Ford is smart enough to realize that. There's no question Ford wants to go somewhere where he'll be the unquestioned starter and he's certainly proven in his career he deserves that role. However, I think if he did end up in Phoenix, the chance to be on an elite team and learn from Nash would be enough to placate him as a backup until Nash retires.

I also would expect to see Nash and Ford paired together should this trade occur. That obviously makes for a highly suspect defensive backcourt since neither one of them is a good defender, but the offensive potential of having two PGs of this caliber on the court together might be enough to offset the defensive issues it would present.

But if the follow-up report is true, than Kerr isn't interested in Ford or anyone the Raptors are willing to deal. This could be one of those non-trades which the Raptors will end up being very happy never came to fruition.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#85 » by El Duderino » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:06 am

I wouldn't trade TJ/#17 for Diaw either, but i do think the Raptors need to trade Ford and they just may not get anything special in return. Like any pretty good, but nothing special player in the NBA, there is always going to be a limited number of teams interested in acquiring that player. Then you mix in the injury concerns with Ford and also being able to find a team with a match for sending equal money back, Colangelo isn't going to have a long line of teams with various trade offers for TJ.

I guess Colangelo could just bring back Ford with the Raptors this season if he doesn't like offers for TJ, but it sure doesn't seem like either Calderon or Ford want that to happen. Both guys want to start and feel they deserve to start, it's likely asking for more problems by keeping both and it'll only be a matter of when, not if Ford has to be traded for team unity sake.

Sometimes in cases like this, a GM has to make a choice between the two players and ship out the other guy, even if the return is less than he hoped for.
europa
RealGM

Post#86 » by europa » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:10 am

I agree the Raptors need to trade one of their PGs with Ford the likely guy to be moved. And I also agree that it's highly unlikely they will get equal value in return for him. I just think Colangelo needs to be smart and not just give Ford away. If Diaw is the best offer he can get for Ford, he might as well keep him and hope like hell Ford and Calderon can co-exist for at least half the year. Maybe then look to move one of them at the deadline if both are healthy. I just think the worst thing a GM can do besides making a bad trade is giving talented players away. I think Colangelo is smart enough to realize that. Certainly, his track record suggests he is.

I think he would be making a big mistake if he was so hell-bent on trading Ford he didn't make sure the trade at least took a step toward helping the team improve if not being a clear improvement. I've posted before that I think what Colangelo does with his PG situation will be one of the most interesting storylines of the offseason. The Raptors' immediate future may very well rest on what he does and the trade he makes.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#87 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:14 am

The Raptors really need a dynamic offensive player at the 2/3 more than anything. Bosh is really their only outstanding offensive force at the moment, they need another guy that can shoulder the scoring load and take some pressure off Bosh.
europa
RealGM

Post#88 » by europa » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:17 am

LUKE23 wrote:The Raptors really need a dynamic offensive player at the 2/3 more than anything. Bosh is really their only outstanding offensive force at the moment, they need another guy that can shoulder the scoring load and take some pressure off Bosh.

Yup. And Boris Diaw ain't that player.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#89 » by El Duderino » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:51 am

LUKE23 wrote:The Raptors really need a dynamic offensive player at the 2/3 more than anything. Bosh is really their only outstanding offensive force at the moment, they need another guy that can shoulder the scoring load and take some pressure off Bosh.

Yea to me, the Raptors look to be kinda stuck in that decent, but nothing special team land that's hard to get out of.

They have a great player in Bosh and then a couple a solid other pieces, but really nobody else on their roster besides Bosh is that close to being an upper tier player. He desperately needs a second player with him that is close to being say All-Star level if they want to move out from being nothing more than a fringe lottery team.

Colangelo had that chance when he landed the first pick in the draft, but right now at least, it looks like he drafted a big time bust for a first overall pick. They also are now picking 17th which makes it very hard to land an impact player and Ford isn't good enough to bring an impact player in return.

It's going to take a very very slick move by Colangelo to get the Raptors out from that dreaded fringe playoff team area because odds are with Bosh and some other decent players, they'll likely keep winning 40+ games, but not be good enough to win in the playoffs. That means no high draft picks, a tough spot for a GM to find that second impact player Colangelo so badly needs.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#90 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:55 am

El Duderino wrote:

Yea to me, the Raptors look to be kinda stuck in that decent, but nothing special team land that's hard to get out of.

They have a great player in Bosh and then a couple a solid other pieces, but really nobody else on their roster besides Bosh is that close to being an upper tier player. He desperately needs a second player with him that is close to being say All-Star level if they want to move out from being nothing more than a fringe lottery team.

Colangelo had that chance when he landed the first pick in the draft, but right now at least, it looks like he drafted a big time bust for a first overall pick. They also are now picking 17th which makes it very hard to land an impact player and Ford isn't good enough to bring an impact player in return.

It's going to take a very very slick move by Colangelo to get the Raptors out from that dreaded fringe playoff team area because odds are with Bosh and some other decent players, they'll likely keep winning 40+ games, but not be good enough to win in the playoffs. That means no high draft picks, a tough spot for a GM to find that second impact player Colangelo so badly needs.

Agree completely. It's a 41-43 win team for the forseeable future until they can land at least a reasonable second piece. Jose Calderon as your second best player isn't going to cut it.

Assuming #8 pans out reasonably well, I think I'd take our roster over theirs looking at the future, as of right now.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#91 » by Buck You » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:14 am

Also add in the fact that their best player is a power forward that would rather stay on the perimeter than go inside and whose defense isn't very good.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks