Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Katz on Draft 

Post#1 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:53 pm

Barring trades, NBA draft taking shape

Monday, June 23, 2008 | Print Entry

Barring trades -- and there are likely to be at least a few -- this is how I see the top dozen picks going in Thursday night's NBA draft (as of Sunday night after numerous conversations over the weekend with teams and agents):

1. Chicago -- Derrick Rose, Fr., Memphis: The Bulls will still play this close to the vest until Thursday. Rose does force them to make some personnel moves in the backcourt, but taking Rose means they get an extension of new coach Vinny Del Negro, a former NBA guard, at the point and an anchor at one of the most important positions on the floor.

2. Miami -- Michael Beasley, Fr., Kansas State: There is always a chance the Heat package this pick. But according to a number of sources within the league, the Heat probably won't pass on Beasley as an asset, at the very least. Putting Beasley next to Dwyane Wade and Shawn Marion is a potent offensive machine for new coach Erik Spoelstra.

3. Minnesota -- O.J. Mayo, Fr., USC: The Timberwolves have considered Brook Lopez and Kevin Love and are scheduled to work out Eric Gordon and Jerryd Bayless on Monday. But here is the reality for the T-Wolves: Mayo is fast becoming the third-most coveted player in the draft. So, you take Mayo and then deal with your issues at guard.

4. Seattle -- Brook Lopez, Soph., Stanford: The Sonics are interested in Mayo, Lopez, Bayless and Russell Westbrook. There is always the possibility that the Sonics could deal, too. But Lopez makes sense for them, and I was told he is No. 1 on the list if Mayo is gone. Lopez gives the Sonics a solid low-post presence at the 5, with Chris Wilcox and Nick Collison easily playing next to him.

5. Memphis -- Kevin Love, Fr., UCLA: The Tigers need skilled post players, and no one is better than Love. This roster is screaming for someone like Love in the post. Don't underscore the value of having assistant coach Kevin O'Neill on the staff, too. O'Neill watched Love get the best of Arizona this past season and is a huge fan of Love's game.

6. New York -- Eric Gordon, Fr., Indiana: The Knicks will likely think long and hard about Gordon versus Italy's Danilo Gallinari, but Gordon is readier to contribute now. He's a combo guard who could play well in Mike D'Antoni's uptempo system. And it's an easier sell for Donnie Walsh in New York to go with an American player with name recognition. If Mayo somehow slipped, then he would be the top player on the board. Westbrook is also a possibility here, too.

7. L.A. Clippers -- Jerryd Bayless, Fr., Arizona: The Clippers need a point guard with Shaun Livingston's return from the knee injury still an unknown. Mayo is coveted, but he won't fall this far. Gordon and Westbrook are also in play, but Bayless probably gets the nod, according to a number of sources, over Westbrook if there is a choice.

8. Milwaukee -- Joe Alexander, Jr., West Virginia: The Bucks' interest in Alexander is increasing. Alexander wants to be a Buck, speaks Mandarin (which could help with Yi Jianlian), and the fact that other teams, like Phoenix, have an interest in Alexander makes him even more enticing.

9. Charlotte -- Russell Westbrook, Soph., UCLA: This is the drop spot for Love and Lopez. If either one is still on the board at No. 9, then he likely goes here. But in this mock, they're not available. Coach Larry Brown loves defense, and Westbrook can deliver on that end.

10. New Jersey -- Danilo Gallinari, Italy: There are certain sources that usually don't get a thing wrong. One of them is adamant that Gallinari won't slip past No. 10. Gallinari stayed in the draft to go in the top 10 and going to a team in the tri-state area was the intent.

11. Indiana -- D.J. Augustin, Soph., Texas: The Pacers want a lead guard. Augustin will likely be the best one remaining. This makes too much sense.

12. Sacramento -- Anthony Randolph, Fr., LSU: Coach Reggie Theus wants to continue to get his team up and down the court, and Randolph's game fits perfectly for that. Randolph was talked about at No. 8, but he's more likely to slide a bit to the back side of the lottery.

The NBA confirmed the following 16 players will be invited to New York for Thursday's draft:

Joe Alexander, Jr., West Virginia
Darrell Arthur, Soph., Kansas
D.J. Augustin, Soph., Texas
Jerryd Bayless, Fr., Arizona
Michael Beasley, Fr., Kansas State
Danilo Gallinari, Italy
Eric Gordon, Fr., Indiana
DeAndre Jordan, Fr., Texas A&M
Brook Lopez, Soph., Stanford
Robin Lopez, Soph., Stanford
Kevin Love, Fr., UCLA
O.J. Mayo, Fr., USC
Anthony Randolph, Fr., LSU
Derrick Rose, Fr., Memphis
Brandon Rush, Jr., Kansas
Russell Westbrook, Soph., UCLA

If you're looking for who will be left sitting the longest, it will likely be Jordan.

Final nuggets

(culled from a number of NBA sources the past few days)

• Phoenix did call Milwaukee trying to get No. 8 to get to Alexander. The Suns are looking for a small forward. It's no secret that guard Leandro Barbosa is on the block.

• Miami is still a viable trade partner for someone and had interest in Toronto's T.J. Ford up until a few weeks ago. Miami originally was intrigued by Ford in 2003 before going with Dwyane Wade.

• Portland is definitely shopping No. 13, and moving lower in the draft for someone like Serge Ibaka is a possibility.

• Other teams to keep an eye on for trades are Memphis, Seattle and New York.

• The player who may be moving up from the second round into the middle of the first is France's Alexis Ajinca.

• Kansas junior guard Mario Chalmers is also climbing and could go as high as No. 15 to Phoenix if the Suns keep the pick. Chalmers' drop spot may end up being Orlando at No. 22.

• Rider senior Jason Thompson is a viable candidate at No. 14 to Golden State. If that happens, it could be the upset of the draft.

• Stanford sophomore Robin Lopez may not get past Phoenix at No. 15, either.

• The two most disappointed players on draft night might end up being Nevada sophomore JaVale McGee and Syracuse freshman Donte Greene.

Sounds like a lot of teams are coveting Alexander in the mid lotto range (Portland and Phoenix tied to him already), I just don't think either of those teams have things they would trade that I would want to move back that far.

Interesting that he has Seattle going with Lopez and has Bayless falling to 7.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Andy Katz: Suns Tried To Get 8th Pick 

Post#2 » by europa » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:54 pm

From his blog today:

Phoenix did call Milwaukee trying to get No. 8 to get to Alexander. The Suns are looking for a small forward. It's no secret that guard Leandro Barbosa is on the block.
Nothing will not break me.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Re: Andy Katz: Suns Tried To Get 8th Pick 

Post#3 » by carmelbrownqueen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:56 pm

I like Barbosa, but not enough to give up the 8th pick for him.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#4 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:56 pm

Man you're slow europa.
Pressey
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Pressey » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:57 pm

There sure does seem to be alot of attempts at maneuvering in a draft that isn't exactly loaded with can't miss prospects.
dedned
Analyst
And1: 1,333

Re: Katz on Draft 

Post#6 » by dedned » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:57 pm

How did the Tigers acquire the Grizzlies pick? They shoulda traded further up and grabbed Rose.
Whiteman
Rookie
And1: 209

Post#7 » by Whiteman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:01 pm

Barbosa's an undersized two-guard who can score in bunches but does little else. Really not the player we need.
yoyomayoma
Pro Prospect
And1: 19

Post#8 » by yoyomayoma » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:02 pm

I wonder what the offer from Phoenix would be? I don't think Barbosa for 8 is even close to fair. Barbosa and 15 for 8 is probably fair but I don't think he's a good fit for the system we're going to run.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,661

Post#9 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:03 pm

No way I'm giving up #8 to bring Barbosa to this team. Not what we need.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,236

Post#10 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:15 pm

I just tried the new "merge" function and it looks like it worked. On the old board it would usually not work and one of the topics would get deleted.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#11 » by Badgerlander » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:33 pm

Seattle definitely needs another Center to team with Swift, Sene, and Petro, lol.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#12 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:46 pm

Katz wrote:But here is the reality for the T-Wolves: Mayo is fast becoming the third-most coveted player in the draft. So, you take Mayo and then deal with your issues at guard.
This makes not even a bit of sense. Because Mayo is coveted by the masses, the Wolves just "have" to take him? The present participle "becoming" implies that Mayo's rise is due mostly to fan interest or how well the guy interviews, because if it was related to his basketball ability, the last opportunity for that rise to occur was in the NCAA tourney (with height confirmation occurring at the combine).

I'm not knocking Mayo as the #3 pick; just knocking Katz for saying that a players' "covetedness" should impact your team's roster going into next year.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,974

Post#13 » by drew881 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:54 pm

Hmmm, Westbrook going at number 9...Doesn't he have a promise from someone in the top 7? Is Katz not aware of this, or is this Katz interpreting that Westbrook just doesn't want to work out for the Bucks.
spectre_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#14 » by spectre_ » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:01 am

drew881 wrote:Hmmm, Westbrook going at number 9...Doesn't he have a promise from someone in the top 7? Is Katz not aware of this, or is this Katz interpreting that Westbrook just doesn't want to work out for the Bucks.

He came and worked out for us on the 19th. The reporter asked him straight up if we'd promised him anything and he said that he had yet to talk to anyone.

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/2008_draft_w ... _day7.html

I don't think there is a "promise".
RaptorJ wrote:they (Bobcats' fans) seem to be some of the least intelligent posters on RealGM from some of the trash they say.

Irony
Neptune_Balla21
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#15 » by Neptune_Balla21 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:47 am

Definitely don't have any desire to give up #8 for Barbosa.
I would like to believe that Hammond would go with Westbrook over Alexander... not the opposite. :-?

Although I guess I would still be okay with it.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#16 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:06 am

Great job by Katz...

Pheonix has nothing we need to move down with them. Marion Chalmers would be an absolute boon for the Magic to take. He is exactly one of the type of players they need and can use.

In fact, they should enter the TJ Ford sweepstakes as well.

Can you imagine TJ dishing to Lewis, or Howard on the break and flinging the ball out to Turkgolu (although they would probaly have to give up Turk to get him?).

TJ and Nestrovic to the Magic for Turk and Evans perhaps and then pick up Brandon Rush with their pick?

That might work...

But the Bucks dont need anyone from Pheonix unless we can swing a three team deal. Things are getting real dicey now...

I am still buggin out trying to figure how TJ Ford and Nestrovic can persumably get you Jermaine O'Neal!?

If that is the case, why can't the Bucks send Mo and Gadzuric and Simmons to get him?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks