ImageImage

Will the Olympics increase Redd's worth?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Will the Olympics increase Redd's worth? 

Post#1 » by DH34Phan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:56 pm

Say the USA dominates the Olympics and Michael Redd is hitting 3's consistently, do the prospects of trading him increase or decrease?

If he does well, we may have to keep him thinking he will evolve into a more complete player. A good performance by Redd may also urge other teams to make a "win now" trade, thus making it a better deal for the Bucks.

If Redd, and/or Team USA does poorly, we may be stuck with him, or we may have to sell him for pennies of the dollar.

Either way, I think the Olympics will have an effect of whether or not we even trade Redd, and what we would get back in return.
Dags
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: Will the Olympics increase Redd's worth? 

Post#2 » by Dags » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:01 pm

I think everyone already knows what Redd brings to the table. The Olympics tend to help out unknowns more than known commodities.
Das ist nümberwang!
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#3 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:09 pm

the olympics will certainly make redd want to play defense. they will also make him a better leader, and after playing with teammates that demand winning he will not tolerate losing any longer.

wait, that was what the olympic qualifiers did for him. who know what the actual olympics will do!
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#4 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:13 pm

He's been in the league many years. He is what he is.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#5 » by DH34Phan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:12 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:He's been in the league many years. He is what he is.

Is anyone on this forum entirely certain what Redd's value around the league is?

I honestly don't know what to expect what we will get back from trading him.
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#6 » by unklchuk » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:29 pm

Certainly possible in my mind that the Olympics will showcase Redd's ability to score points. Some GMs already know that; some would be impressed and offer more. In part, because their fan base would get more excited. And because Redd would be "happening" now.

Strong showing and Hammond will probably have a few good offers to consider. Poor showing and the rose-colored glasses will come off, and Michael may well remain a Buck.
AFAIK, IDKM
DMBucks22
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#7 » by DMBucks22 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:44 pm

Wow, is today really the first day that Realgm has worked 4 me in over 2 weeks? Thats messed up. For 2 weeks straight it never updated the new threads and even when I clicked on those they didnt work. Glad to see it back up for me.
DMBucks22
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#8 » by DMBucks22 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:44 pm

Wow, is today really the first day that Realgm has worked 4 me in over 2 weeks? Thats messed up. For 2 weeks straight it never updated the new threads and even when I clicked on those they didnt work. Glad to see it back up for me.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#9 » by jerrod » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:06 am

the only people that are convinced that redd's team usa performance has any bearing on his nba performance post on here
:wave:
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#10 » by Max Green » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:29 am

Yep, especially when he comes back as our Olympic Hero.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#11 » by xTitan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:35 am

MVP4Champ wrote:Yep, especially when he comes back as our Olympic Hero.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#12 » by unklchuk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:57 am

NBA basketball is show business. Performance on a high world stage won't have any effect? You must not have studied under PT Barnum.

Doesn't significantly change what he is as a player. But it demonstrates it under a degree of immediate pressure. And fancy performance will make him more marketable. Doesn't "make" a trade decision, but it nudges it.

Over & out.
AFAIK, IDKM
Neptune_Balla21
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#13 » by Neptune_Balla21 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:54 am

Teams around the league know Redd's game. They know how he stacks up with other scorers and are aware of his weaknesses. I would say that The Olympics could really Up his value if he does what he is supposed to do and does it well... which is to score and shoot at a high %. This also could be an opportunity to show people that he is improving in areas where he is known to be suspect, which is clearly defense and sharing the rock.

All in all I don't think things will change a whole lot.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#14 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:02 am

MVP4Champ wrote:Yep, especially when he comes back as our Olympic Hero.

It's amazing how serious you're being right now
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#15 » by stellation » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:38 am

I guess adding a bronze medal to his resume can't hurt too much :P
#FreeChuckDiesel
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#16 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:53 am

Excellently timed thread...

Perhaps. But the Olympics are after July 1st right? So any deal involving Redd could be done by then or on draft night.

So I am not sure...July 1st is when free agents can start negotiating and July 15th is then when free agents can sign with their new teams.

That may or may not effect any deals or deal involving Redd, but it might. But we will have to see in which way the Bucks will go and what latitude Senator Kohl will give GM John Hammond this summer.

We will know in about 3 days. No team can change the makeup and chemistry of their team and its personality more then the Bucks can with simply moving 3-5 players.

Any team can be different if you do that, but not as drastic as the Bucks if they move the right ones.

It might not be as important who they get, then who they actually move...that will have the biggest impact.

Coach Scott Skiles is enough of a change to be a huge impact as it is. Much less moving Redd, Mo or Simmons and Villanueva.

Perhaps there is some truth to the point that any move is a good move, and there is addition simply by subtraction...

We will see...
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#17 » by old skool » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:33 pm

I think that playing over the summer hurts the value of every player in the short run.

Teams know that those extra games can wear a player down. That reduces their minutes over the course of the NBA season and increases the likelihood of injury. That is why some teams refuse players permission to play over the summer.

I can't imagine that NBA teams use the Olympics to scout players for trade purposes.

oLd sKool
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#18 » by Badgerlander » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:11 pm

I think a good performance as well as Ray's performance in the championship will make it easier for the GM of the team that trades for Redd to sell the deal to the fans. Especially if there are lots of sportscenter highlights of him hitting 3s. It will just show how valuable he could be to a good defensive team with a good low-post game.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks