ImageImage

Danilo Gallinari New Footage Mix (over 10 min long)!

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,030

Re: Danilo Gallinari New Footage Mix (over 10 min long)! 

Post#21 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:04 pm

I don't know how you truly judge the athleticism of any of these guys until you see them against real NBA competition.

I'm thinking of those threads of Yi dunking over all those little white guys from Lithuania that were posted. He couldn't do that last year very much in the NBA.

Gallinari doing stuff in Europe is as meaningless as Joe Alexander dunking in those youtube clips he has.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#22 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:04 pm

Well, we're all going by what we have read and have seen. All we have to go on with Gallinari is youtube and DX essentially.

I just haven't seen an explosive first step out of him. I see him as a strictly perimeter small forward who is skilled and can shoot, but isn't a good rebounder/defender.

Just my take, I realize many disagree and we shall see what happens next season.
smalls
Junior
And1: 0

Post#23 » by smalls » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:08 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:Looks an awful lot like Hedo on the court, and many have compared his game to him. 11.7/4.1/2.5 career type guy who plays below average defense. I don't see any reason he has more "upside" than Alexander. Are people just saying that because he's two years younger?

Paul Pierce!

R u serious??? Paul Peirce??? Honestly, I dont even know what to say to that besides R U SERIOUS???
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#24 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:15 pm

smalls wrote:
Rockmaninoff wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:Looks an awful lot like Hedo on the court, and many have compared his game to him. 11.7/4.1/2.5 career type guy who plays below average defense. I don't see any reason he has more "upside" than Alexander. Are people just saying that because he's two years younger?

Paul Pierce!

R u serious??? Paul Peirce??? Honestly, I dont even know what to say to that besides R U SERIOUS???

It was kind of a joke because Luke made a comment above that the 'Paul Pierce comparisons have to stop' and then proceded to post the above low ball prediction.

BUT, I do think that Gallinari plays in a comparible style. No joke.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
TheGhostDog
Senior
And1: 2

Post#25 » by TheGhostDog » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:25 pm

Will Perdude wrote:Gallinari has that herky jerky creativity that allows him to penetrate against more athletic players, get to the line at will, and draw and dish.

Herky jerky creativity is a good way to describe Gallinari. He has average wheels at best, but he gets past people by flinging his shoulders ahead of them unexpectedly and leaning in to establish position. If he were a running back we'd say he runs with great body lean. Couple this with his relaxed, never-rushed release, which allows him to both draw a lot of fouls and make impressive mid-air corrections, and I am comfortable saying he'll be very effective scoring in the NBA, even lacking that burst in his first step.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,747

Post#26 » by Licensed to Il » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:56 pm

I don't like the comparisons to Kukoc, because Tony started his career as one of the most athletic guys in Europe. I have seen footage of him dunking from just inside the free throw line, jumping over cars (serisously, take that Kobe), and making moster blocks. It wasn't until he hit the NBA a decade later that he had to rely more on crafty release points and so forth. Also, Tony K was one of the all time great passers in the game of basketball. No one is making that claim about Danillo.

I am not a huge fan of Gallinari. But I do think that he is going to be a legit second scoring option, and become a really fun offensive player to watch.
Neapolitan Buck
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by Neapolitan Buck » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:25 pm

Will Perdude wrote:luke, none of us have seen any of these guys enough to really know. if you really think you know enough about gallinari's defense, rebounding, first step, etc... from youtube clips... you are fooling yourself and no one else.

i know the point of this forumn and thread are to be armchair scouts... but keep perspective

Gallinari can defend, rebound, has first step. He is a tireless and kobe-like worker, he is coachable, unselfish, and wants to learn and to improve, plus his father was a Bruce Bowen-like player; he has toughness in his DNA. The kid is going to be great even in the NBA. That from a guy that sees italian league games, and that believes that european players rarely do well in the NBA.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#28 » by BuckFan25226 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:44 pm

He looks like a mix between hedo and his step back is identical to ersan. Seems a little slow with the ball and very weak around the rim. Oh oh oh oh, but i know what this team needs!!! A soft 6'9 euro player who can shoot from the outside, yes!
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
redred9
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#29 » by redred9 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:15 pm

BuckFan25226 wrote:He looks like a mix between hedo and his step back is identical to ersan. Seems a little slow with the ball and very weak around the rim. Oh oh oh oh, but i know what this team needs!!! A soft 6'9 euro player who can shoot from the outside, yes!

how on earth is he soft? He is about as soft as Luis Scola. In other words, tougher than anyone on the Bucks right now! Ridiculous comments. Yes he'll have problems at the rim just like Bogut and Yi did in their rookie years, but long term it shouldn't be an issue.

Do i think he's the best fit for the Bucks? Probably not. But he might end up long term a better player than Alexander, who should fit well with the Bucks.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#30 » by Nowak008 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:16 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
Nowak008 wrote::clap: Great work! Still plenty of room on the bandwagon. He by far has the most potential for anyone that we can pick at 8.

That's really nothing more than an opinion.

Yup. It is also when you were slamming him for a month straight.

Why does he have "by far" the most potential of anyone available at 8? There are likely going to be several 19 year old players available at 8 and Alexander is 21 but has only played basketball for five years.

Alexander being 2 years older is a big deal. The fact that he has only played basketball for 5 years is a knock against him not a plus.

Looks an awful lot like Hedo on the court, and many have compared his game to him. 11.7/4.1/2.5 career type guy who plays below average defense. I don't see any reason he has more "upside" than Alexander. Are people just saying that because he's two years younger?

Why are you looking at his carerer numbers that doesn't make any sense. Hedo was a late bloomer and was a damn good player this year. 19.5/5.7/5.0 FG%45 3P%40

The major difference between Gallinari and the Pierce (ridiculous)/Ginobili comparisons is first step. Both of those guys, while not top shelf athletes, have a great first step, while also attacking the rim relentlessly and being able to absorb contact and finish. Everything I've read and seen on Gallinari shows average footspeed for a NBA SF, and the times where he does meet contact at the rim he does not go strong, he throws up a flip shot.

Ginobli and Peirce have below average footspeed for SF's. Doesn't matter as much as your ball handing skills.

I just haven't seen an explosive first step out of him. I see him as a strictly perimeter small forward who is skilled and can shoot, but isn't a good rebounder/defender.

You don't need an explosive first step. Does Redd have an explosive first step? He has done fine with out that.

how on earth is he soft? He is about as soft as Luis Scola. In other words, tougher than anyone on the Bucks right now! Ridiculous comments. Yes he'll have problems at the rim just like Bogut and Yi did in their rookie years, but long term it shouldn't be an issue.

Yea. I am not sure where all of the soft stuff is coming from. For a SF he is not soft.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
beyond_the_arc
Starter
And1: 46

Post#31 » by beyond_the_arc » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:38 pm

I'll bet my life Gallinari NEVER has a season like Hedo just did.
Postby SubyWill on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Magic fan checking in, holy **** Harris is legit. Your GM should be fired.

No ****.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#32 » by BuckFan25226 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:50 pm

Nowak, Redd is not explosive like a LeBron or a Wade, but he has a very good first step. Being explosive and having a first step are 2 different things. Redd is very quick with the ball and has learned how to use his body and quick first step to blow by people and get to the rim.

And with Gallinari, watching that video, yea, he looked good, but who cares? So does everyone on a highlight video. And when I criticize Gallinari, I'm not speaking as if Alexander will be greater. But since someone brought him up, the huge difference between the two is Alexander is much quicker, stronger, faster, and simply more athletic then gallinari will ever be. I will say Gallarni shows definite flahses of a young Dirk, but if Gallinari becomes even a 15/8 type player, I'll be shocked.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,

blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
Neapolitan Buck
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by Neapolitan Buck » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:17 pm

beyond_the_arc wrote:I'll bet my life Gallinari NEVER has a season like Hedo just did.

To me you are seriously risking to die young :D
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#34 » by bango_the_buck » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:45 am

Actually, Gallinari looked longer and more athletic than I thought in those clips. Doesn't mean I think we should take him, but I don't think he's a complete stiff. With his skill level and competitiveness, I think he'll be a solid NBA player...
Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,718

Post#35 » by AussieBuck » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:31 am

Nowak008 wrote::clap: Great work! Still plenty of room on the bandwagon. He by far has the most potential for anyone that we can pick at 8.

I'm climbing on, move over!
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#36 » by Chapter29 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:15 am

Looks to be similar to Manu thats for sure.

Not very quick and his jumper though accurate lacks lift and it seems a bit herky jerky.

I expected to see a more fluid athlete.

I honestly don't have much interest in him. Lacks toughness and defense.

The Bucks will likely pass if need is taken into account at all.
Whiteman
Rookie
And1: 209

Post#37 » by Whiteman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:48 am

AussieBuck wrote:

I'm climbing on, move over!

I'm in too.

His skill and craftiness are obvious. If the reports about his mental toughness and drive are anywhere near correct, he's gonna be a very good pick.
Enrique
Senior
And1: 30

Post#38 » by Enrique » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:05 pm

If Both Gallinari and Alexander are on the board at #8 there likely will be a different player that I would choose. But if I had to choose between the two I'd take the Hedo clone over the Desmond Mason clone all day.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,761

Post#39 » by Ayt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:26 pm

Chapter29 wrote:Looks to be similar to Manu thats for sure.

Not very quick and his jumper though accurate lacks lift and it seems a bit herky jerky.

I expected to see a more fluid athlete.

I honestly don't have much interest in him. Lacks toughness and defense.

The Bucks will likely pass if need is taken into account at all.

Why do people think he lacks toughness? He's known for being a very intense player, and sometimes an in your face type player.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks