ImageImage

Minny wants Joe Alexander? Miami to trade Mayo?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Re: Minny wants Joe Alexander? Miami to trade Mayo? 

Post#81 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:29 pm

It's a good thing because it shows his production this year (which was very good) came with minimal experience, and that he's picking up the game at a rapid pace (due to how hard he works at it). He's 21, not 22. With a proven developmental coach in Skiles is very easy to assume the improvement will continue to come, and no, it's not going to take him 5 years.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#82 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:29 pm

JVG was on TV last night. He said Beasley's going to be an All-Star from his first season on and go onto have a Hall of Fame career.

Jay Bilas was just on the radio and said that the three best players in in this class could flip a coin for the top pick, he sees them so equal. He also thought Beasley would dominate and was sort of pissed at the backlash against the kid the last 48 hours. He's equally enamored with Mayo. Cited what an incredible competitor he is. He was asked to judge this class as a whole, and like every other professional I've read, he said that it's a great class, and it's deep throughout the first round.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,489

Post#83 » by Profound23 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:31 pm

DrugBust wrote:JVG was on TV last night. He said Beasley's going to be an All-Star from his first season on and go onto have a Hall of Fame career.

Jay Bilas was just on the radio and said that the three best players in in this class could flip a coin for the top pick, he sees them so equal. He also thought Beasley would dominate and was sort of pissed at the backlash against the kid the last 48 hours. He's equally enamored with Mayo. Cited what an incredible competitor he is. He was asked to judge this class as a whole, and like every other professional I've read, he said that it's a great class, and it's deep throughout the first round.

He said the same thing about Bogut, so take that for what it's worth. But I like Beasley still, as well as Mayo after Rose of course. To be it's Rose 1, Beasley/Mayo 2. And everyone else is just eh. Maybe Bayless is the other one I could see being a decent performer.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#84 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:34 pm

Yeah, it's a much deeper draft than people are giving it credit for. If we do stand pat at 8 we're going to get a good player.
randy84
RealGM
And1: 6,390

Post#85 » by randy84 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:42 pm

LUKE23 wrote:It's a good thing because it shows his production this year (which was very good) came with minimal experience, and that he's picking up the game at a rapid pace (due to how hard he works at it). He's 21, not 22. With a proven developmental coach in Skiles is very easy to assume the improvement will continue to come, and no, it's not going to take him 5 years.

So Luke how long will it take him to pick up the NBA game. I am assuming that it will take him at least a year, so are we looking at 2, 3, 4 years.

I mean if that is the case and he is only going to end up being a "role player" and not a superstar then why not just trade the pick for veteran guys now?

You talk about his driving to the hoop and dunking and his stellar defense because of his athleticism, but where have you seen this. I know you read alot of scouting reports and watch a lot of video, but could you point me to a couple of games where you saw this. Maybe I missed those games or highlights.

You also mention his quick first step, but I didn't see any of that in the Connecticut game. Is there another game that he exhibited this? I mean his midnight madness highlights are great, but he is dunking against air and I really haven't seen any games where he drove and dunked on someone, but may you have. Let me know and maybe I will have to re-evaluate Mr. Alexander.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#86 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:49 pm

I'm just not going to argue it anymore with you. You have your opinion and I have mine.
redred9
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#87 » by redred9 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:06 pm

what bothers me about Alexander is his ballhandling ability, or seeming lack of it. You can have all the athletic ability in the world but if you can't dribble through traffic you're still going to be limited offensively. If he was younger, it wouldnt be so much of a concern because he would have time to learn. Its why i think Brandon Rush will be mainly limited to being a jumpshooter in the NBA unless he's being set up.

Don't get me wrong, i still wouldnt be upset at choosing Alexander later on today, but i think we are choosing a good hustling roleplayer as opposed to a potential star.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#88 » by Nebula1 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:21 pm

That'd be absolutely incredible to get Beasley somehow.

Alexander is a boring pick and I think there are guys drafted after him we'll wish we would've taken.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks