ImageImage

Hammond on 620

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Hammond on 620 

Post#1 » by Captain Erv » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:38 pm

I'm not sure how long the interview was, but I just heard about the last 5 minutes of the interview with Hammond on 620.

Basically said that the Yi trade was based on the court and not about marketing, ect.

Said that he hadn't spoken with Jefferson yet, just his agent, but didn't give any info about how Jefferson felt about the trade.

Said that this trade wasn't about a "win now" mode. It was a trade to make the team better and competitive and give the fans a reason to support the team.

Said Alexander was a special kid that really wanted to be here. Will be able to play some 4 against smaller lineups, but won't be his primary position.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,665

Re: Hammond on 620 

Post#2 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:17 pm

That's what I expected as far as Joe goes. He's not a 4 in the NBA, and I think the people last night telling themselves that he was were just trying to make things work in their mind. My guess is that he was drafted to back up the 3 and play some spot 4 time while Jefferson is under contract. When Jefferson is traded/expires, they're probably hoping Alexander will be ready to step in full-time.

During especially tough perimeter offensive matchups I wouldn't be too surprised to see both of them out guarding wings. Not that Alexander was expected to be such a great defender in the pros, but Jefferson regularly got the toughest perimeter matchup during his time in Jersey, whether it was at the 2 or 3. I could see Jefferson being put on the 2 and Alexander being played at the 3 along side him just for the sake of athleticism/toughness. Granted, that would leave Mo and CV to be the only real perimeter threats (if they aren't traded).

They took the guy they liked and who they probably felt was BPA. I'm fine with that, even if we already had acquired a SF earlier in the day.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#3 » by europa » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:00 pm

Captain Erv wrote:Said Alexander was a special kid that really wanted to be here. Will be able to play some 4 against smaller lineups, but won't be his primary position.

Sounds like he'll be the primary backup at SF & PF next season. I would be surprised if Villanuea is kept so I'm guessing Hammond's next priority will be to find a starting-caliber PF with some combination of Mo, Villanueva and Dez's expiring deal used as bait. Or he could pull out the plugs to try and get Hinrich and then go with a stop-gap approach at PF for a year.
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#4 » by unklchuk » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:08 pm

If they went the Hinrich route, could they sign a PF to a full or near full MLE and just pay some tax, for perhaps just one year?
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#5 » by Jollay » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:42 pm

Maybe I'm obtuse. Confused how we're going to deal CV and have a grand total of 0 power forwards on the roster. Or deal CV to a team looking to give up a better PF for CV.

We're keeping CV I believe.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#6 » by xTitan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:49 pm

Jollay wrote:Maybe I'm obtuse. Confused how we're going to deal CV and have a grand total of 0 power forwards on the roster. Or deal CV to a team looking to give up a better PF for CV.

We're keeping CV I believe.

Well lets see, perhaps adding more players or a future draft pick to a trade...or maybe not getting someone who is alot better than CV but someone who brings a different skill set...like toughness, unselfishness, desire.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,494

Post#7 » by old skool » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:55 pm

I think that the Bucks could get a Brian Skinner type player for a reasonable amount of money - maybe a two year deal. A hard working banger to solidify things at PF.

Villanueva has to go for two reasons. One, he is not a true PF and never will be. That leaves him without a spot on the Bucks. Two, his rookie deal is expiring and a contract decision needs to be made. The Bucks have enough contract gaffes in their recent past. They don't need to sign CV to a contract they don't want to have. They need to move him for a useable player, not necessarily a better player.

oLd sKool
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#8 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:56 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland would deal Varejao for CV. Remember how stoked we were about the Bogut/Villanueva chemistry in the rookie game? Lebron/Villanueva in the McDonalds game was that times ten.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Jollay » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:52 pm

My point is, we bring in a Brian Skinner type, or an AV type sure.

And that guy plays 40 minutes a game at the PF?

Cause I'm confused who gets the other minutes big behind that guy and Bogut if CV goes. Gadz, Voskuhl, and a 21 year old small forward, really?

Incidentally, Varajeo averaged 18mpg last year.

Who exactly can we acquire that can play 35 mpg that is an active wide-body that is expendable for CV and picks?

Either someone bites on a top notch PF for CV, Mo, and picks option, which I can't see anyone doing--or we have to tandem CV with a Skinner type.

But that Skinner type ain't likely to play 35mpg--or else we couldn't acquire him by trade in the first place most likely, especially for CV.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,026

Post#10 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:59 pm

Jollay wrote:Either someone bites on a top notch PF for CV, Mo, and picks option, which I can't see anyone doing--or we have to tandem CV with a Skinner type..

All these threads are really the same topic. But I'm on board with what you are saying if you'd concur that we need a PF of at least Haslem/Varajao quality to team with CV. Skinner of 2003 might fit that but not the current day version.

I do not want to acquire Haslem or AV and then just dump both CV and Mo. Keep one guy for the bench scoring. CV is cheaper than Mo. Plus in the odd event CV ever gets it, he's 6-10" and valuable. We can probably keep him two more years before he'd be an unrestricted free agent.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,665

Post#11 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:02 pm

Jollay, Anderson averaged 28 minutes per game. Just throwing that out there.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Jollay » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:07 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Jollay, Anderson averaged 28 minutes per game. Just throwing that out there.

Thanks--I was surprised at that when I saw 18 mpg.

My point remains...30mpg for Gadz, Alexander, Voskuhl next year at the 4,5, with AV as our PF (as an example). More when he or Bogut are in foul trouble? (EDIT: OR SUSPENDED FOR FLOPPING)

We traded away one of the soft PFs, I would just assume keep one (CV) to combo with a PT banger and provide scoring off the bench.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:36 pm

Well, one team that has a plethora of PFs now is... New Jersey! They drafted Anderson and already have Swift, Sean Williams, Josh Boone, and... Yi. I'd love to get Williams. He just wants to block shots, dunk, and rebound. And DesMas' expiring contract makes trade maneuvering much easier.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#14 » by bango_the_buck » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:52 pm

The only free-agent PF that looks appealing is Ronny Turiaf, but he's restricted and I see the Lakers matching any reasonable offer...
RamonSessions
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#15 » by RamonSessions » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:59 pm

Ruzious wrote:Well, one team that has a plethora of PFs now is... New Jersey! They drafted Anderson and already have Swift, Sean Williams, Josh Boone, and... Yi. I'd love to get Williams. He just wants to block shots, dunk, and rebound. And DesMas' expiring contract makes trade maneuvering much easier.

Sean Williams would be an astounding pickup for the Bucks, too bad we just made a deal with their team, and they wouldn't want Mo. I doubt, seriously doubt they give up Williams for Mason even if he's an expiring , and they're looking to get LeBron.

If they match Kristic and really want to keep him, I see that opportunity as becoming more open and in that case we definitely should pursue him. I'm an advocate of getting him or D Lee somehow, both will be hard to obtain though and very dependent on various situations with the respective teams falling through.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:06 pm

RamonSessions wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Well, one team that has a plethora of PFs now is... New Jersey! They drafted Anderson and already have Swift, Sean Williams, Josh Boone, and... Yi. I'd love to get Williams. He just wants to block shots, dunk, and rebound. And DesMas' expiring contract makes trade maneuvering much easier.

Sean Williams would be an astounding pickup for the Bucks, too bad we just made a deal with their team, and they wouldn't want Mo. I doubt, seriously doubt they give up Williams for Mason even if he's an expiring , and they're looking to get LeBron.

If they match Kristic and really want to keep him, I see that opportunity as becoming more open and in that case we definitely should pursue him. I'm an advocate of getting him or D Lee somehow, both will be hard to obtain though and very dependent on various situations with the respective teams falling through.

Yeah, and if we can't get Williams, I'm sure they'd be happy to trade Swift for Mason and a 2nd rounder. 5 PFs - with 4 of them being limited offensively and the other a jump shooting rookie - is a bit much.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks