ImageImage

Can he play the 4?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Can he play the 4? 

Post#1 » by Dexmor » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:13 pm

Can Alexander play the 4 and is he sopposed to? If so I think the whole night just made them a very good playoff team. RJ was a steal. I am a former Laker/Nets fan now Laker/Bucks fan who is from NY and has seen every single RJ game. The dream of him being A Laker died last night but the Bucks starting 5 can be very impressive if Alexander can play the 4. I don't know if he can.
Does anybody here know?
If you guys have any RJ questions I am your man.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Re: Can he play the 4? 

Post#2 » by LUKE23 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:14 pm

I doubt he starts at the PF next year. Likely a backup at the 3/4 depending on matchups. We still have Mo/Villanueva/Mason as trade chips.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#3 » by Badgerlander » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:21 pm

He played the 4 in college and I think his offensive game is better suited to the 4. Defensively I think he can get there, but I wouldn't start him against KG or anyone of that caliber as a rookie. Right now I think with the team that we have we have to start CV at the 4 so that we don't lose his head completely and to keep his trade value up.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,018

Post#4 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:23 pm

DocHoliday wrote:He played the 4 in college and I think his offensive game is better suited to the 4. Defensively I think he can get there, but I wouldn't start him against KG or anyone of that caliber as a rookie. Right now I think with the team that we have we have to start CV at the 4 so that we don't lose his head completely and to keep his trade value up.

Pretty much agree with all of the above. Hammond thinks he's more of a four right now but that it's up to the coach as to where he'll play and how he'll fit in.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#5 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Hammond does not think he is more of a 4.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=819272
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#6 » by Nebula1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:38 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I doubt he starts at the PF next year. Likely a backup at the 3/4 depending on matchups. We still have Mo/Villanueva/Mason as trade chips.

I agree with this. Alexander at 4 is just talk until the PF position is settled. I'd prefer that Alexander not guard Garnett or Duncan...
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#7 » by jerrod » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:39 pm

i really like the pick, but if hammond really doesn't think he's much of a 4, then it seems like a strange pick
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#8 » by LUKE23 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:41 pm

They drafted BPA in their minds, so it's not a strange pick regardless of position. They obviously think he's a better pro player than Bayless.
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#9 » by unklchuk » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:43 pm

^ That page sounds good to me.

I agree with the sage who said: "They took the guy they liked and who they probably felt was BPA. I'm fine with that, even if we already had acquired a SF earlier in the day." I'll apply that to Mbah a Moute too.

And I'm fine with what Skiles said yesterday, words to the effect that Job #1 was to acquire players you can win with and that Job #2 (balancing the roster) could come a little later.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:47 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Hammond does not think he is more of a 4.

His exact words:

John Hammond wrote:No question, we do think that Alexander can play the power forward position. That's basically what he's been his entire career for the most part at West Virginia. In fact, he played center some for them. So we do think that maybe his best position out of the gate may be the power forward position. You say, 'Well, maybe we're a little undersized if we do that,' but that's OK. I mean, right now in the NBA there are a lot of people that are playing small like that. So I think we can do that; that's going to be up to Scott.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#11 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:47 pm

Okay, it doesn't look like the other thread will be used, so here is what was said for anyone that doesn't want to check.

Captain Erv gave us a recap of what he heard Hammond say on the radio this morning. Referring to Alexander, Hammond "Said Alexander was a special kid that really wanted to be here. Will be able to play some 4 against smaller lineups, but won't be his primary position."

Then, here's my point...

That's what I expected as far as Joe goes. He's not a 4 in the NBA, and I think the people last night telling themselves that he was were just trying to make things work in their mind. My guess is that he was drafted to back up the 3 and play some spot 4 time while Jefferson is under contract. When Jefferson is traded/expires, they're probably hoping Alexander will be ready to step in full-time.

During especially tough perimeter offensive matchups I wouldn't be too surprised to see both of them out guarding wings. Not that Alexander was expected to be such a great defender in the pros, but Jefferson regularly got the toughest perimeter matchup during his time in Jersey, whether it was at the 2 or 3. I could see Jefferson being put on the 2 and Alexander being played at the 3 along side him just for the sake of athleticism/toughness. Granted, that would leave Mo and CV to be the only real perimeter threats (if they aren't traded).

They took the guy they liked and who they probably felt was BPA. I'm fine with that, even if we already had acquired a SF earlier in the day.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#12 » by SupremeHustle » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:47 pm

unklchuk wrote:^ That page sounds good to me.

I agree with the sage who said: "They took the guy they liked and who they probably felt was BPA. I'm fine with that, even if we already had acquired a SF earlier in the day." I'll apply that to Mbah a Moute too.

And I'm fine with what Skiles said yesterday, words to the effect that Job #1 was to acquire players you can win with and that Job #2 (balancing the roster) could come a little later.

Skiles said that? That's awesome. Hopefully our posters will realize that means Mo for Haslem ain't happenin.

Edit: pluralized the word "poster".
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#13 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:48 pm

DrugBust wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:Hammond does not think he is more of a 4.

His exact words:

John Hammond wrote:No question, we do think that Alexander can play the power forward position. That's basically what he's been his entire career for the most part at West Virginia. In fact, he played center some for them. So we do think that maybe his best position out of the gate may be the power forward position. You say, 'Well, maybe we're a little undersized if we do that,' but that's OK. I mean, right now in the NBA there are a lot of people that are playing small like that. So I think we can do that; that's going to be up to Scott.

His words this morning on the radio are that he can play some 4 but that's not his primary position.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:51 pm

Barring a trade of Redd, If JA wants to see the court he's going to have to learn to play the four in the NBA. Last night he even said he considers himself a four that can slide to the three.
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#15 » by Dexmor » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:56 pm

Why the hell would Mo get traded? He is the best pg on the team.
Also when RJ is traded or expires? You guys do know RJ is now your best player on your team along with Redd. And were was Redd in these situations?
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#16 » by Nebula1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:56 pm

Do we have enough left to get Elton Brand?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:56 pm

MikeIsGood wrote: I think the people last night telling themselves that he was were just trying to make things work in their mind.

I never saw an NBA SF when I saw Alexander, mostly because I don't know if he has the lateral quickness. I likened him to a more offensively skilled David Lee.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:59 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Do we have enough left to get Elton Brand?

I'm not sure what we have that would entice the Clippers. I would have previously said Redd, but they just took Gordon.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#19 » by Nebula1 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:01 pm

DrugBust wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Do we have enough left to get Elton Brand?

I'm not sure what we have that would entice the Clippers. I would have previously said Redd, but they just took Gordon.

What about Alexander so they can get rid of Maggette? It'd be nice if we could put together enough to pull Brand in, although I'm not sure what his contract specs are.
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,448

Post#20 » by steger_3434 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:06 pm

So Alexander is a 3/4 who is super athletic and came on late. He isn't quite a banger, but can hit the outside shot. Oh yeah, he's super athletic. Haislip anyone?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks