ImageImage

Why was T.J. Ford's value so high?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Re: Why was T.J. Ford's value so high? 

Post#101 » by trwi7 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 3:41 am

ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:Now how many did he give up?

Not sure why that matters. He's being compared to Ford at 30+ minutes. Ford sucks on defense too.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#102 » by Buck You » Fri Jul 4, 2008 3:46 am

trwi7 wrote:
ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:Now how many did he give up?

Not sure why that matters. He's being compared to Ford at 30+ minutes. Ford sucks on defense too.

Ah, I didn't read the above posts. I was just responding to the CV stats. Carry on.
Bucky O'Hare
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#103 » by Bucky O'Hare » Fri Jul 4, 2008 5:17 pm

Kohl Is A Mome wrote:Well in this fantasy land of yours, did you make Ford bigger? The reason he wasnt playing more minutes is simple, for one thing they got better production from someone else, for another, Ford likely cant handle 36 per game. Though in the one season he did get about that much, he only got 6.6 assists. Not to mention his TOs jump up more at that point too.

Oh and this magical first year we went 12-14 without him after the injury (With him starting we went 29-26)
*Actually 12-15 for the season, does anyone remember why TJ missed our first game that season? I never realized it until looking things up.

Playing 20% more minutes = fantasy land? A guy can play 30 minutes and be productive, yet there's some "magical barrier" preventing him from playing 35-36 minutes and being productive? Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. He's played 35+ minutes per game before, there's no reason he couldn't do it again. The reason he didn't in Toronto is because Jose Calderon's emergence wouldn't allow it. And sure Ford is small, but there are smaller guys in the Hall of Fame. If a guy 6-foot can be a Hall of Famer, there's no reason to believe a guy 6-foot can't be a good NBA starter. Besides, Ford makes up for a lot of his physical short-comings by being an athletic freak.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#104 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 5:52 pm

midranger wrote:CV was a 21.4 points and 10.1 rebounds PF when given 30+ minutes. Clearly, given his incredible production, he should be given full starter's minutes on our team. We could be talking about a hall of famer.

Pssh.......give guys like Paul Grant, Joey Graham, Arujo or even Mark Pope those type of minutes and they would put up stats like that.
Bucky O'Hare
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#105 » by Bucky O'Hare » Fri Jul 4, 2008 6:58 pm

Charlie V's career production when he plays 30+ minutes (68 games)....
17.8 ppg
8.9 rpg
1.4 apg
36 mpg

Charlie V's career production, extrapolated to 36 minutes....
16.7 ppg
8.5 rpg
1.4 apg

He performs at nearly the exact same rate no matter the minutes given.
Simulack
RealGM
And1: 4

Post#106 » by Simulack » Fri Jul 4, 2008 7:29 pm

But how efficiently is CV scoring those 17.8ppg when he plays 30+ minutes? Those stats aren't particularly impressive to me when he is just scoring at the low percentage he always does. That is what he needs most to change if he is also going to continue to be such a poor defender.

Incidentally though, CV's TS% has actually been better than JO's the last three years: 54.7%, 52.1% and 50.2% compared to 53.0%, 50.0% and 48.9%.

The problem with O'Neal isn't just that he has been injured. He's also simply played horribly the last few years. If anything, his injuries were probably a boon to his team because, looking at his stats, I wouldn't be surprised if the Pacers actually played better the last two years when he was out of the game given that his defense isn't at the near DPOY level it was years ago.

Maybe he will return to his level of play from a few years back but the Raptors are taking a big gamble as he will be 30 when the season starts and has already played around 800 NBA games when you count the playoffs. Again, I don't see how that is good value for Ford the Raptors had to include a first rounder and an expiring contract.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,029

Post#107 » by midranger » Fri Jul 4, 2008 8:07 pm

My guess is that CV's FG% would be pretty high in those games as efficient scoring (and to a degree rebounding) is the only thing keeping him games.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks