ImageImage

Bogut's role going forward?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,775

Re: Bogut's role going forward? 

Post#81 » by Ayt » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:37 am

emunney wrote:What's the over/under on time it takes until people realize that Al Jefferson is Zach Randolph without the cartoonish off-court violence?

That is a terrible comparison. How are they similar, other than having been featured on bad teams?
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#82 » by Chapter29 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:52 pm

I don't think Bogut's role will change much, outside of expanding slowly as his game and leadership continues to grow. I expect to see more sharing and ball movement this year losing the selfish G play. We started of last season with solid ball movement, but the trust went away quickly. Guys like Redd and RJ will still get the lions share of attempts I am sure, but hopefully within the offense.

I think that we will look to involve him early and consistently throughout the way you do any good, but not great big man. Get your inside game established early and then go to it periodically. Obviously Bogut is best when in the high post and moving to the basket. I would suspect that we will continue to look for that most often, but who knows he may be working on a sweet power post move.

The biggest factor in all of this is, IMO, Bogut will slowly emerge as a leader. This year perhaps, with a changing of the guard might be a perfect time. RJ and Bogut team captains.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,045

Post#83 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:52 pm

emunney wrote:What's the over/under on time it takes until people realize that Al Jefferson is Zach Randolph without the cartoonish off-court violence?

I guess I need to know if you are being sarcastic or actually willing to board the Al Jefferson is over-rated bandwagon I built last summer (it is still missing a wheel)

I would not trade Bogut for Jefferson. The defense Bogut brings is extremely valuable. And he's a true center.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Jakko
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#84 » by Jakko » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:16 pm

I think Boguts role wont change a great deal, but can see him getting another 2rbs and 4ppg average. Based purely on a more legit scoring threat at forward with Jeff, as well as Alexander going to the rim.

He is the rock of the team. Hes not mr higlight reel, or your top scorer, but in a good team orented situation hes going to be a great asset and facilitator to the top 2 scorers on the team.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#85 » by REDDzone » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:33 pm

Bogut is my favorite Buck.

With that said, Jefferson >>> Bogut.

How is Bogut one of the best young centers if his team can't win?

That is, unless we use this brilliant logic.

EDIT: Typo.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#86 » by paul » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:50 pm

REDDzone wrote:Bogut is my favorite Buck.

With that said, Jefferson >>> Bogut.

How is Bogut one of the best young centers if his team can't win?

That is, unless we use this brilliant logic.

EDIT: Typo.

Yeah FWIW I wasn't comparing Bogut to Jefferson now, I was comparing the 3rd seasons of their respective careers. Jefferson is superior to Bogut now purely on his huge offensive output alone - but his defense against C's is complete rubbish. They didn't do him any favors by taking another PF in the draft (via trade) imo although it might work offensively, he really needs someone to guard any decent opposing C for him.

That being said 'do you trade Bogut for Jefferson' is another question altogether, Bogut's weaknesses aren't nearly as glaring as big Al's and he is a year behind him experience wise.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#87 » by Newz » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:57 pm

His role if we want to win should be the 3rd or 4th option offensively, someone who can give you 12-15 points from the post every game on a high FG% while dishing out 3-4 assists per game.

He has to continue to become a better rebounder as he is average in that aspect of the game and bring defensive intensity every night. (Which shouldn't be a problem under Skiles)

If he can be 14/10/4 on 55% shooting I think we could be good, anything more than that we could be very good.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#88 » by REDDzone » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:57 pm

I completely agree Paul. I certainly take Jefferson over Bogut based on talent alone, Jefferson is simply a superior player IMO.

But if I had to choose between Bogut/AJeff as my CENTER? It gets a lot tougher and depends who else I have on my team. I hate Jefferson as a center, just too overmatched on the defensive end.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
gobbler
Junior
And1: 0

Post#89 » by gobbler » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:39 pm

First, I think that it would be a mistake to neglect Bogut's ability as a post scorer. Although Bogut is not as good of a scorer as Redd, Mo, RJ, etc., he can take advantage of some teams / matchups. The Bucks should try to test the interior early with Bogut. If Bogut can draw a double team or help, then Mo, Redd, RJ, CV are all guys who will kill you if they are left even slightly open. Many nights it won't work and Bogut will have to play a put-back or open dunk scoring role; however, if they don't test it early, the other 4 guys are willing to to shoot tough shots all night. Last year there were some teams and matchups that Bogut could exploit.

Second, and more importantly, the Bucks need to have good ball movement and distribution. You don't take full advantage of having 5 guys who can score by having them each take turns doing iso's against their defender like they would if the team had only 1-2 scoring threats. Instead, the Bucks need to move the ball around until someone gets a higher percentage shot. If they do this, Bogut should get as many scores as last year. He's got very good hands and would do well in this role, whether from the high post or the low post.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#90 » by emunney » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:04 pm

Ayt wrote:

That is a terrible comparison. How are they similar, other than having been featured on bad teams?

Uh, every single part of their games right down to the inability to slide their feet on defense despite being pretty quick-footed in the post on offense? Jefferson is bouncier because he's not crazily fat. They're both super-skilled in the post, they both take too many jumpshots which neither of them are very good at, they're both great on the glass, they're both bad passers. Overall I think Jefferson's a little bit better than Randolph at everything than except for guarding the post -- across the board as an indirect result of Randolph's fatness -- but I don't see how anybody could ignore the similarities in the way they play.

How are they so incomparable, other than each being unique snowflakes?
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#91 » by emunney » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:05 pm

Not joking, PP. All abooooooaaard.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#92 » by Wise1 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:12 pm

emunney, you forgot to add that not only are they both bad passers, they're both "unwilling" passers. Jefferson is the better player, but when he was with the Celtics, I used to refer to him as a young Zach Randolph in the making. At that time, he especially came into the game just to get his without being a particularly good "team" player. Black holes to the fullest. Zack still wears the crown though.
redred9
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#93 » by redred9 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:20 pm

What role Bogut has on the team next year really depends on himself. Assuming the chucker backcourt is broken up and we have some players more than willing to get him the ball, i still dont see Boguts role changing significantly unless he brings back that jumpshot of his. Then, we can talk about running offence through him in a Miller/Webber type of role or what have you. Then we might have something kinda special on our hands.

But its really all up to him. Its hard to picture his role diminishing, however.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks