ImageImage

Outsider Opinions on the Bucks Draft

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Re: Outsider Opinions on the Bucks Draft 

Post#21 » by xTitan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:20 pm

Bayless landed in a perfect situation for him, some little guys are really good scorers but don't have PG instincts, they need to play next to a 2 or 3 who runs a teams halfcourt offense.....or they become effective 6th man.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#22 » by El Duderino » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:45 pm

After seeing how the first seven picks went, i hoped we either drafted Alexander or Bayless. The Bucks badly need bench help and if we had traded Mo, i think Bayless could have been great as a backup combo guard that brings offense and unlike some Arizona kids, he's not a softy that treats defense like it comes with a case of herpes.
pilprin
Pro Prospect
And1: 87

Post#23 » by pilprin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:26 pm

I'm okay with the ALexander pick, I would have taken CDR in round #2. Similar strengths, but plays the guard position.

I think Mason must be getting dealt. If the dude from UCLA will come in handy.
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#24 » by power4wardjinx » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:29 am

europa wrote:
You do realize Jefferson can't be traded until the end of August, right?

I suppose we'll have to wait until the end of August. Varejao can't be traded until Dec. 5. Were we in a hurry to get it all done in JUNE???

:lol:
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#25 » by power4wardjinx » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:37 am

Tell me, Paulpressey, why redd is here most likely when we have five soft players all manning the 2-3 spots on our beloved team.

RJ and Redd are complementary? They are the opposite of complementary -- they'll be fighting over the ball and we would be in the same fix we would be in that we were in 2004 when Timmy said "I don't want to play with this puke anymore, trade me," and we made one of the first of a series of lousy deals that left us the cellar Central team that we are.

There is nothing different now. RJ and Redd are oil and water. One or both are gone. Why do you not see RJ going anywhere??

Yi was described as "a keeper" ... C'mon, man, they are ALL on the table.
aaprigs311
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#26 » by aaprigs311 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:47 am

RJ isn't going anywhere, c'mon, man.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#27 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:49 am

europa wrote:
power4wardjinx wrote:Redd/RJ/Mason/Alexander/Villa - five guys, all of them on the table.

Actually that is not accurate.

Jefferson can be traded [b]immediately[b], even in a package involving some of our other players.

The 2 month waiting period only prevents us from aggregating his salary with one or more of our other salaries if that would be required to make a trade work.

power4wardjinx wrote:
europa wrote:

I suppose we'll have to wait until the end of August. Varejao can't be traded until Dec. 5. Were we in a hurry to get it all done in JUNE???

:lol:

Varejao can absolutely be traded prior to December 5th, he just has to consent to any trade prior to December 5th (and he can't be traded to Charlotte prior to then even with his consent).
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM

Post#28 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:05 am

power4wardjinx wrote:
There is nothing different now. RJ and Redd are oil and water. One or both are gone. Why do you not see RJ going anywhere??

Yi was described as "a keeper" ... C'mon, man, they are ALL on the table.

I am slightly hesitant to encourage the above...

But yes, technically everyone is on the table. Redd, Bogut, Jefferson, everybody.

It would be somewhat of a rare move to turn around at this point and flip Jefferson (by himself or with something else) to another team. So rare that the thought honestly hadn't even crossed my mind.
So yes, rare. But not totally unprecedented.

Usually you would just try to do everything at once in a multi-team trade if we are looking at moving Jefferson elsewhere, but sometimes that isn't always practical, so you make one deal first so that doesn't fall apart and then you look at making subsequent deals.

It does open up more possibilities, I suppose, when looking at further roster moves. Maybe the ultimate result would be Jefferson for a starting PF or PG and then with other assets (Mo, Villanueva, Dez) bringing someone in who would start at SF but get some of their minutes at another position (a SF/SG or a SF/PF) which would open up more SF minutes for Joe Alexander. Or any number of possibilities.

It would have to be a really good return for us to be trading Jefferson at this point though. We did just give up Yi for him (regardless of the value of including Simmons in that deal, it is still giving up Yi).
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#29 » by Chapter29 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:12 pm

I don't see Redd and RJ being terrible together. It really comes down to filling your role. Redd needs to be a bit more of a Reggie Miller type SG and RJ utilized more for his slashing and athleticism. I see Jefferson as more of a utility type SF who does it all, so blending him should not be that difficult. I don't see him having a hard time sharing the ball. He can defend and he's athletic. The harder part of it all would seem to be the Redd side of the equation.

As to trading him and trades in general. Hammond has no ties to these players. He has a messed up team with some assets. Every option should be considered. If that's flipping RJ, so be it.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#30 » by europa » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:03 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
europa wrote:
power4wardjinx wrote:Redd/RJ/Mason/Alexander/Villa - five guys, all of them on the table.

Jefferson can be traded [b]immediately[b], even in a package involving some of our other players.

I was under the impression Jefferson could only be traded by himself immediately but there was a two-month window after being acquired during which he could not be traded with other players. Is this part of Coon's FAQ incorrect?

In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:

For two months after receiving the player in trade or claiming him off waivers, if the player is being traded in combination with other players.
Nothing will not break me.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM

Post#31 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:55 pm

europa wrote:I was under the impression Jefferson could only be traded by himself immediately but there was a two-month window after being acquired during which he could not be traded with other players. Is this part of Coon's FAQ incorrect?

In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:

For two months after receiving the player in trade or claiming him off waivers, if the player is being traded in combination with other players.

The FAQ is not incorrect. It reflects the entirety of what I responded with.
On something like this, you can't really truncate what I responded with because the part you put in the post I am now responding to lacks some critical elements:

The 2 month waiting period only prevents us from aggregating his salary with one or more of our other salaries if that would be required to make a trade work.

You left out the part in italics.

As for the FAQ, the FAQ actually says this:
For two months after receiving the player in trade or claiming him off waivers, if the player is being traded in combination with other players. However, the team is free to trade the player by himself (not packaged with other players) immediately. This restriction applies only to teams over the salary cap. (Also see question number 72 for a special case where players can be traded together in less than two months.)

You again left out the part in italics. Question 72 gets more in depth as to why what I said in italics is correct.

I can assure you that it is how I say it is AND that the FAQ is accurate... simultaneously.
Not that myself or one of the other handful of people that helped Larry create the FAQ don't make the occasional oversight, but I've given this particular subject (trade restrictions) quite a bit of attention over the years ;)

To put it most simply, if you can construct a trade which can be broken down into multiple allowable trades, and one of those trades only uses Richard Jefferson from our end, then you can just do all of that as one big trade.

Here is the first example that came to mind (and please, I don't need anyone commenting on this being a good trade or not, I'm just using these players because the salaries work well for this example)

Richard Jefferson & Desmond Mason
for
Wally Szczerbiak & Joe Smith

That trade could be made immediately.
Replace Desmond Mason with Charlie Villanueva though and that would not work immediately (without adding in more players) because you cannot separate the deal into multiple allowable parts. That deal can only work if you aggregate Jefferson's salary with Villanueva's so that you can use the 125% plus $100k rule, and to do that you must wait for the 2 month waiting period to expire.

And there is a logical reason for this restriction, BTW. But I'm not going to bother getting into that explanation unless someone asks :)
g77g77
Freshman

Post#32 » by g77g77 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:07 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
And there is a logical reason for this restriction, BTW. But I'm not going to bother getting into that explanation unless someone asks :)

pls do elaborate and also why not let BYC status expire same as the day of the drafting, since trades is already allowed but not finalized? thanks a lot for the information, i really learned a lot. :D
We did, oh we did, we did, we did, we did. We're happy, no question.
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#33 » by DutchManDanFan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:11 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:And there is a logical reason for this restriction, BTW. But I'm not going to bother getting into that explanation unless someone asks :)

Mmmm, I think I have a question....
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,948

Post#34 » by Jez2983 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 12:52 am

Not to hijack this thread and take it back on-topic :) , but i'll post a few more reviews that I've found while waiting for patients to rock up.

Randy Kim at AOL sports Fan House:
Milwaukee Bucks: B-
(Acquisitions: Joe Alexander, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute)
Alexander knew he was going to the Bucks (he was smiling last night well before they announced the pick), but there was just something about him playing next to Yi that was so appealing, and not just because Alexander speaks Mandarin. All in all, Milwaukee's picks? Solid. Milwaukee's draft-day deals? Questionable.

This is pointless speculation, but what would Yi and Alexander on the same team have been like?

CollegeHoops.net:
This franchise doesn't really know where to go or what to do. Alexander had a great run towards the end of the season, but is destined to be a 6th-7th man type guy. That's not good enough with the 8th pick. C

We don't know what to do? I think this is the first clear indication of a direction in a while!

Aran Smith at Fox Sports:
Milwaukee Bucks
First round: Joe Alexander, SF, 6-8, 220, West Virginia
Second round: Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, SF, 6-8, 221, UCLA

The deal to bring in Richard Jefferson makes this team instantly better and gives them legitimate hope for earning a playoff spot in the East next season. Alexander's emergence from not being projected as a first rounder early in the season to a top 10 pick has some concerned, but his combination of athleticism, character and work ethic give him a great chance to live up to the pick. The Yi Jianlian trade leaves just one similar quasi-forward, Charlie Villanueva, for "Vanilla Sky" to compete with. Mbah a Moute was a solid mid-second rounder who might become a defensive standout in the league.

Grade: A-minus.

It looks as though our draft is panning out to be around a 'B' at this stage - OK, but not brilliant. Are we all happy with a B-level draft?

Carry on, GAD!
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"

Return to Milwaukee Bucks