ImageImage

Summer league thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Summer league thread 

Post#1 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:17 am

The Bucks are playing 5 games in the Vegas Summer league which runs from July 11-20th.

The offical roster comes out this week. So far we know that Ramon Sessions, Joe Alexander and Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and D Leaguer Trey Johnson will all be on the squad.

Not a single game is televised on NBA tv, which is a huge bummer as far as I'm concerned. Summer league is much more watchable when broadcasters are calling the action The Jazz, Knicks and Blazers cover all of their summer league contests independently of NBAtv. It would be nice if the Bucks could provide a little covereage. It wouldn't kill the guys at FSN wisconsin or Time Warner sports to take a break from showing the edless hours o 7th grade girls softball tournaments They woulden't even need to pay for a plane tickets. Just do a little homework on the players, get the feed from vegas and broadcast right from the studio.

ANyway... NBA.com will have live streaming of every game, but last year there were no announcers for the games not televised on NBAtv.

Here is the schudle along some of the potential higher caliber sparring partners from each squad. Bold are players confirmed to be playing, and I'll update the list when the rosters become available.

Sat July 12 vs Memphis Grizzlies (OJ Mayo, Darell Aurther, Javris Crittenton, Mike Conley)

Tues July 15h vs Detriot Pistions (Rodey Stuckey, Amir Johnson, Aaron Afflalo, Alex Acker, Cheikh Samb)

Thursday July 17th vs Denver Nuggets

Sat July 18th vs Timberwolves (Kevin Love, Corey Brewer, Chris Richard)

[b]Sunday July 20th vs Cleveland[/b] (JJ Hickson)
andonewheel
Rookie
And1: 16

Re: Summer league thread 

Post#2 » by andonewheel » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:12 pm

Detroit looks good. Thanks for the info, I didn't know they would be online, I'll have to check them out.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#3 » by jerrod » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:17 pm

i watched the announcerless games in a tiny window huddled up next to my laptop last summer

i'll do it again
oshmeehan
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by oshmeehan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:18 pm

I see Alex Acker is playing without his contract situation with Barcelona being taken care of yet

Any chance that Ersan would play or is he heading back to Turkey soon to train with the National Team?

It would give Ersan a good chance to show his improvements in front of Bucks management
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,380

Post#5 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:42 pm

You would certainly think they would find a way to get these games on FSN or even broadcast on their website. Even if it's just a camera guy with no announcers and no replay. At least it's something.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#6 » by Mags FTW » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:59 pm

So is there a fans2hammond yet?
RookieOfTheYear
Senior
And1: 16

Post#7 » by RookieOfTheYear » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:31 pm

Do you have to pay for the NBA.com feed?
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#8 » by drew881 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:36 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:You would certainly think they would find a way to get these games on FSN or even broadcast on their website. Even if it's just a camera guy with no announcers and no replay. At least it's something.

Announcerless internet streams might work (I would love this over nothing) but silent, anouncerless TV wouldn't fly in my opinion. The fan base is completely different. Casual fans and regular TV watchers would question the lack of announcing and sound, and attribute it to poor quality coverage from FSN, in turn making them look bad.

Internet video is just so much better than TV I think these days, especially with P2P sites, that I justify not having cable. But TV is still caught in that it broadcasts to a very mainstream audience that maybe wouldn't go for such broadcasts on a large channel like FSN. Maybe a local station, as someone mentioned the other teams have local channels airing it (announcerless?)
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#9 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:48 pm

When you look at all the crap they have on Time Warner Sports and FSN I don’t think a silent NBA summer league game would be that bad in comparison.
But it would be very easy for them to get the broadcast feed, call the action from the studio and put the games on TV. ESPN had their announcers watch a feed of the World Basketball championships (in Japan) a couple years ago and broadcast from Bristol. NBAtv had Rick Kamla sitting in studio in Secaucus New Jersey broadcasting games from Europe all the time.

Dennis Krause is an NBA guy. All he would have to do would be to watch the summer league squad prepare in Milwaukee for a week, do a little homework on their opponents and sit back and call the action.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,380

Post#10 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:59 pm

They are trying to build up interest in the team, it would make sense to broadcast the summer games somehow. Otherwise no one will see Alexander until October.

Sessions is also an unknown to most people around here. No one was paying any attention to the Bucks when he played.

They should also get Alexander down to Summerfest to meet fans for a day or two.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#11 » by Nebula1 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:03 pm

Looking forward to watching this group. Hopefully at least the stream is decent. I would love to see a midnight replay or something like that.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#12 » by Mags FTW » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:35 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:They should also get Alexander down to Summerfest to meet fans for a day or two.

He was there on Friday.
smalls
Junior
And1: 0

Post#13 » by smalls » Tue Jul 1, 2008 3:45 am

i was out in Vegas last year during the summer league and i have to say it is a pretty awesome event if u happen to be a basketball junky :D It's 25 bucks for an all day entry(multiple games), and it's like watching the game in a highschool gym if it's at the......drawing a blank on the name but it's where the lady wolfpack play and is right next to the thomas and Mack . Plus this time of year the rates are a lil cheaper and with the wsop going on there is some really good gamblin to be had :wink: It is like walking into an oven though when u step outside though. So anyways what I am tryin to say is if u happen to like gambling(hell even if u don't) and Basketball it is definitely something u should go out there for.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#14 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 6:34 am

I am flabbergasted as to why no one has picked up Jamont Gordon of Miss St. Did he kill somebody or something?

Why wasn't he drafted? There has to be something someone knows that scares teams. I would bring him in on his talent alone...
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,944

Post#15 » by Jez2983 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 8:55 am

MBBOT, I've decided you are the internet board version of Monty Python.

And now for something completely different...

And then let the random/unrelated comments and emoticons fly forth!

:pityfool: :peace: :cowboy: :eek2: :devil: :cowboy: :guitar: :vent: :curse: :olympics: :hug:

I always wanted to do that!
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#16 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Jul 1, 2008 3:42 pm

I got hold of some of the names expected to be on the summer league roster and posted them over at brewhoop.com
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#17 » by fam3381 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 3:57 pm

Bumped you to the front page, Chuck.

http://www.brewhoop.com/2008/7/1/562737/summer-sampler
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,724

Post#18 » by emunney » Tue Jul 1, 2008 4:05 pm

Darius Washington, nice.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#19 » by Nebula1 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:45 am

I love summer league.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#20 » by Buck You » Mon Jul 7, 2008 3:05 am

Do they give out Summer league MVP'S? Because if they do Joe Alexander is my early pick.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks