ManicBullsFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Agent says Lakers' Bynum wants maximum contract extension 

Post#1 » by ManicBullsFan » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:30 am

Agent says Lakers' Bynum wants maximum contract extension

By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

While the Lakers were making an announcement about their intentions to keep restricted free agents Sasha Vujacic and Ronny Turiaf, Andrew Bynum's agent announced his client's intentions.

Bynum can get a contract extension this summer from the Lakers. When his agent was told that Bynum suggested he would be willing to take less than the maximum of five years, $80 million, David Lee said they would be seeking the maximum.

"He was talking as a 20-year-old," Lee said in a telephone interview Monday. "He had not consulted with his representatives. I think the Lakers know how we feel about this."

The Lakers extended qualifying offers to Vujacic and Turiaf on Monday, which allows the team to establish a right of first refusal.

If Vujacic, whose offer was for about $2.6 million, and Turiaf, whose offer was for about $1.3 million, sign an offer sheet with another team, the Lakers can match the offer and retain them.

Both Vujacic and Turiaf are seeking long-term deals and hope their agents can come to an agreement with the Lakers.

The free-agent shopping period started at 9:01 p.m. Monday; players can't sign contracts until July 9. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said recently he would begin negotiations Monday night.

The Lakers could have a potential dilemma with Bynum.

He missed the final 46 regular-season games after he suffered a knee injury. He had arthroscopic surgery May 21 to remove some cartilage debris and smoothing some rough spots on the underside of the knee.

Bynum, a 7-foot, 285-pound center, has said he should be ready to start training by the second or third week of July.

"The ball is in their court," Lee said. "They've got a decision to make. The question is whether they believe in him the way I believe in him. It's their decision to make if they want him there for the future."

Bynum averaged career highs in points (13.1) and rebounds (10.2) last season. But he has played in just 163 games in three seasons.

"I don't think the Lakers have anything to worry about with Andrew's physical condition," Lee said. "The only thing is he wants to stay in the purple and gold. It's in their court."

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_web_lakers_01.4713233.html
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,769

Re: Agent says Lakers' Bynum wants maximum contract extension 

Post#2 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:34 am

I hope Bynum doesnt sign an extension, and then next offseason Minnesota signs him.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
icat2000
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#3 » by icat2000 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:36 am

Interesting, especially when Bynum has yet to make it back to the NBA after injuring his knees.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#4 » by Bernman » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:37 am

The owners should go on strike if he gets Bynum demands the max.
ManicBullsFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#5 » by ManicBullsFan » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:38 am

Its a gamble for Bynum not to sign an extension this offseason, with his injury uncertainty. But there's no way lakers give him a huge deal this offseason.
BrewCityBBQ
Analyst
And1: 79

Post#6 » by BrewCityBBQ » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:47 am

Bynum doesnt deserve the max, and if he gets it there is seriously something wrong with the NBA.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,944

Post#7 » by Jez2983 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:29 am

Most players must wish they're in a team that's so good that they're basically guaranteed to get to the finals (with some officiating help :) ) so their players only have to worry about how much money they get paid.
I'm sure Barkley/Malone etc would have loved to just whinge about getting max money than worrying about trying to get a ring.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#8 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:40 am

Every player would prefer the max. How is it newsworthy? His agent will ask for it, and the Lakers will say no. I'm sure the Lakers aren't stupid, so they won't even consider making him an offer like that. He'll play out the season, and if he dominates the league, they can offer him the max next year.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,497

Post#9 » by old skool » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:43 am

An agent has to justify his cut.

The Lakers can always let Bynum become a restricted FA. That's the way the process works.

Plus - Bynum is a youngster. He will have a shot at a max contract when he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

oLd sKool
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,011

Post#10 » by midranger » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:59 am

Why would they give him the Max this year?

If he can't come back they saved themselves a headache. If he can, they offer him the same max next year. It's not like at that point the salary could get worse.

This should be the same line of thinking if Bogut refuses a discount. Make him earn it on the court.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
bogutsdad
Senior
And1: 0

Post#11 » by bogutsdad » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:28 am

I wouldn't sign bynum for more than bogut. As it says he has only played 160 odd games in 3 seasons. Can you imagine if bogut went out for the season after his purple patch in january and then came out demanding being paid Max cos he had one good month. They have no idea how he is going to be next year and I don't think he would put up the same numbers with gasol and odom there. Him and his agent must be smokin' some good s%@t!
andonewheel
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#12 » by andonewheel » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:41 am

He won't get the max yet, but if he improves on his numbers from last season I'd bet he will next year. He's a legit center with lots of upside who appears to be realizing that upside. Even if he doesn't deserve the max just yet he'll still get it because of what he could become and how many teams want that. I'd assume the Lakers would match any offer as well. They make so much money on ticket sales, merchandise, TV exposure, etc. that I doubt the luxury tax even affects their thinking.
icat2000
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#13 » by icat2000 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:51 am

All depends on how he responds after the knee injury. I wouldn't be drawing any real conclusions until he plays some games at the moment he is an injured player yet to make their return.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#14 » by stellation » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:08 am

I'd hate to be the GM to make this call. Pretty much either way you go it's a good chance to be used as an excuse to hate you/fire you in the future.
#FreeChuckDiesel
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#15 » by fam3381 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:19 am

midranger wrote:If he can't come back they saved themselves a headache. If he can, they offer him the same max next year. It's not like at that point the salary could get worse.

Totally agree...there's just no incentive for the Lakers to go all-in right now.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,258

Post#16 » by rilamann » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:33 am

Dont get me wrong Bynum is solid but I think a lot of poeple including his agent overrate him.

I'd like to see how good he would be if he wasnt playing with Kobe and wasnt coached by Phil Jackson & Jabbar.

Im not knocking or hating on the guy for having a great teammate and great coaching but it is legit point.Like I said hes a good solid player but hes not worth the max and people make him out to be better than I think he realy is.

One thing Bynum's agent has going for him in the max contract negotiations was how the Lakers just absolutley fell apart after Bynum got injured.

hardy har har.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#17 » by jeremyd236 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:36 am

Perhaps someday a "max" contract will be in order for Bynum, but how can ANYONE get a max contract after a huge injury like that?

Oh wait...Gilbert Arenas. I guess if a one-demensional, career loser like Arenas can get a max contract (or two offers), then anyone with marginal superstar talent can. If I recall, the last two seasons the Wizards have done better or the same with Arenas out. Some superstar he is.

But Bynum will be a superstar someday. How old is he? LIke 20? Averaging 13 and 10
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#18 » by power4wardjinx » Wed Jul 2, 2008 6:59 am

Let the posturing begin - Laker fans saw this coming a while ago. Guys like Bogut and Bynum should be getting Chandler/Dalembert money but they want Dwight Howard money. Of course with guys like Michael Redd getting $91 mill who can blame them.

Yao was five years, $75 million. Bogut and Bynum should start stepping back from there.
"Power forward ... again, that's something we'll probably have to address." - Larry Costello, Don Nelson, George Karl, Scott Skiles.
http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blog ... fault.aspx
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#19 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:17 am

Bynum is young and dumb...lol

Remember when he dunked on Shaq and then bumped him going back up the court? Now from that time on I thought he had lost his mind!

I thought Shaq would have wiped the floor with him if he was a bit younger or the kid said something to him. But I wrote that off as young energy and exuberance.

I remember vividly when young Buck Kent Benson tried about the same thing 30 years ago Opening Night at the ole' Milwaukee Arena with Kareem, and he dropped him where he stood and laid him out cold, that practically ended his career for all intents and purposes. So it happens...

But this is foolishness...

You can't come back at what 20 years old he is? And demand anything! You did not even play a full year or make the All Star team.

It's absurd. If I were they Lakers I would laugh this off and tell him go sit down and wait his turn...

I would still take him over Bogut, but that is neither here nor there....
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#20 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:28 am

rilamann wrote:Dont get me wrong Bynum is solid but I think a lot of poeple including his agent overrate him.

I'd like to see how good he would be if he wasnt playing with Kobe and wasnt coached by Phil Jackson & Jabbar.

Im not knocking or hating on the guy for having a great teammate and great coaching but it is legit point.Like I said hes a good solid player but hes not worth the max and people make him out to be better than I think he realy is.

One thing Bynum's agent has going for him in the max contract negotiations was how the Lakers just absolutley fell apart after Bynum got injured.

hardy har har.
Um excuse me? Fell apart!? What the hell do you mean fell apart!? They made it to the NBA Finals WITHOUT BYNUM!

A team should always want to..... "fall apart"......all the way to the NBA Finals.

That is absurd...they were better off without him. Sure they could have used him against the Celts but the fact is, they got there without him.

They hardly fell apart and I am not a Lakers fan by any stretch of the imagination. But they did not :noway: 'fall apart' as you said.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks