ImageImage

Should we be chasing Josh Smith?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,944

Should we be chasing Josh Smith? 

Post#1 » by Jez2983 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 2:58 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53386/20080704/josh_smith_leaves_philly_without_contract_offer/

???

Philly hasn't made him an offer? Should we start pursuing a S&T with Atlanta moreso now? Josh Smith's rebounding/blocking and offensive would make this team absolutely dynamite. I know it's unrealistic, but is there anyway we could get there without luxury tax?
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Re: Should we be chasing Josh Smith? 

Post#2 » by LUKE23 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 3:00 pm

That's all well and good, but what could we legitimately offer that equals Josh Smith in trade value?
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#3 » by jeremyd236 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 3:44 pm

LUKE23 wrote:That's all well and good, but what could we legitimately offer that equals Josh Smith in trade value?

MO/CV
cam2win
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#4 » by cam2win » Fri Jul 4, 2008 4:12 pm

jeremyd236 wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:That's all well and good, but what could we legitimately offer that equals Josh Smith in trade value?

MO/CV

Yah right that be as big of a rip off as someone offering Yi and Bobby Simmons for Richard Jefferson.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,163

Post#5 » by skones » Fri Jul 4, 2008 4:47 pm

cam2win wrote:
jeremyd236 wrote:

MO/CV

Yah right that be as big of a rip off as someone offering Yi and Bobby Simmons for Richard Jefferson.

If I do recall, New Jersey went for it.
bucks59
Senior
And1: 3

Post#6 » by bucks59 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 5:54 pm

The Warriors might offer him the max or a ton of money, so it seems unlikely that we would get him.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#7 » by LUKE23 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 5:56 pm

New Jersey did it because they were stuck as a 35-40 win team with no upside, and for financial reasons to go after LeBron. Atlanta is an up and coming young team with a lot of potential right now, so I highly doubt they are going to be looking to move Josh Smith if they sign him.
MetroDrugUnit
Sixth Man
And1: 46

Post#8 » by MetroDrugUnit » Fri Jul 4, 2008 8:08 pm

I agree, for the sake of arguement you could say the same thing about thr Warriors signing Brand then tradin ghim for Mo / CV. We got our one gift trade, I'll be very supprised if there is another team out there that is in the same situation as the Nets who want to give us a deal like that. It doesn't help that everyone knows that we want to dump a few player make them look even less attractive and or valuable
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,003

Post#9 » by midranger » Fri Jul 4, 2008 8:26 pm

Josh Smith would be a great fit on GS Warriors IMO....

Ellis
Smith
Biedrins

...as your young (YOUNG!) veteran core would be dynamite at igniting and finishing the break. Add the potential that even one of Wright or Randolph works out, and that's a heck of a team.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
More Bang For The Bucks
Starter
And1: 0

Post#10 » by More Bang For The Bucks » Fri Jul 4, 2008 9:22 pm

I won't be surprised if Josh Smith is not back in Atlanta. I wouldn't give him a near max deal when I have Horford(prefer him at PF)needing an extension in a few years and Joe Johnsons deal. Wouldn't leave much money to fix their problem at center and PG once Bibby is gone. I would spend big at PG next summer to replace Bibby and try to get a center(Diop, Krstic?) now.
by LUKE23 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am
I certainly wouldn't be dancing in the streets or bestowing a bunch of praise on Hammond though.
It's like taking three huge dumps on your kitchen floor, then cleaning up one of them.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#11 » by europa » Fri Jul 4, 2008 9:25 pm

The Hawks didn't want Mo when he was a free agent last summer. I'm not sure anything has happened since then that would lead them to change their minds about him. I'm not sure Villanueva has much appeal to them either. If the Hawks lose Smith, I think they should look to move Horford to PF (which I think is his more natural postion) and find a quality center. And no, I'm not suggesting trading Bogut for Smith. Just saying that a quality center with Horford at PF would be the way I think they should go if Smith departs.
Nothing will not break me.
More Bang For The Bucks
Starter
And1: 0

Post#12 » by More Bang For The Bucks » Fri Jul 4, 2008 9:44 pm

great basketball minds think alike europa :D
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#13 » by Jez2983 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 11:53 pm

I know this is likely unrealistic, but I'm trying to generate discussions/ideas in this area. Obviously Smith is a much better option than someone like Collison or Shelden Williams and an idea I'd be much more comfortable with.

Ok, here goes, I'm going to commit suicide here, but hopefully we can get meaningful discussion:

Does any form of Sessions/Gadzuric+whatever get this done? Gadz allows Horford to play 4, and I'm sure we could sell Atlanta on Sessions, especially a team who haas been so short on PG's.

Mo/Redd/RJ/JS/Bogut. I'm excited.

Flame away.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#14 » by Chapter29 » Sat Jul 5, 2008 12:31 am

I'm excited too, but its for all of a moment until I realize the dream is over.

Josh Smith is a dream and its fun to think about how the Bucks would be with him, but it is just a dream. Certainly Atlanta would like to get their hands on Sessions, but they wont give up Smith to do so. Not a chance in hell and of course that doesn't even take into account the salaries. Gadz isn't likely to be seen as anything short of a spot minute player from any team in the league and given his salary he is negative trade value. For us he is a bench fodder and we stink. Why would anyone want him at 5-6M?

Smith is a very good player. Atlanta would be down right (Please Use More Appropriate Word) to trade him away for anything short of a very good player.

Lets take a look at our roster. Obviously very subjective and just off the top of my head.

Poor
Dan Gadzuric
Royal Ivey (FA)
Michael Ruffin (FA)
Awvee Storey (FA)

Below average
Jake Voskuhl (FA)
Desmond Mason +

Average
Joe Alexander (TBD)
Luc Mbah a Moute (TBD)
Ramon Sessions + (TBD)
Charlie Villanueva

Above Average
Charlie Bell -
Andrew Bogut +
Mo Williams

Good players (all-star caliber)
Richard Jefferson
Michael Redd
Josh Smith +

Great players (perennial all-stars)
Zero, zilch, nada, zippo, nothing.

So player for player the only ones that come close on our roster are RJ, Redd and Bogut. Bogut Atlanta would likely do in a heartbeat. We would decline. RJ and Redd? Well I don't think they covet a SF so RJ is out and heck Smith plays SF and PF, RJ cannot. Redd is the only guy I can think of where the Hawks wouldn't hang up the phone.

Since I believe that Smith is better than any our top players I fail to see how we could work a deal.

Redd and next years #1 for Smith and filler might get it done. I would maybe do that deal.
Giannis
is
UponUs
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#15 » by Jez2983 » Sat Jul 5, 2008 3:15 am

How about Redd and Sessions? Chances are for salary we may give Gadz and have to take Bibby or something like that to make things work, but I'm not knowledgable enough/have enough energy to see if it would work in the trade checker.

I really like the idea of turning a potentially good young player into a good experienced player, like we did with Yi. I know the chances of us pulling off a second trade like the RJ one is slim to f-all, but I'd love to see us go after another guy who performs on both ends, rather than a fill-in like Shelden Williams or Nick Collison. I can't say I think Haslem is that guy either - he's solid, but I reckon we need more than solid players to turn this team around.

Again, the voice of reason says there is a 0.05% chance of this happening, but I'd love for us to have a go at doing this.

LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#16 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Sat Jul 5, 2008 4:01 am

I'm pretty sure Atlanta wants to keep Smith. I don't think they want to help him go someplace else.
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#17 » by Jez2983 » Sat Jul 5, 2008 5:16 am

Well people were talking about getting Brand in, so I thought go one better and get probably the premier young PF in the game! Obviously Atlanta isn't going to let Smith go for nothing, so I wonder what they'd want.

What would it take to get it done? I may need to wander over to the Atlanta board and ask them what they'd like outside Bogut.

Chapter29
RealGM

Post#18 » by Chapter29 » Sat Jul 5, 2008 1:16 pm

Jez2983 wrote:Well people were talking about getting Brand in, so I thought go one better and get probably the premier young PF in the game! Obviously Atlanta isn't going to let Smith go for nothing, so I wonder what they'd want.

What would it take to get it done? I may need to wander over to the Atlanta board and ask them what they'd like outside Bogut.

Oh Brand was a pipe dream as well. I don't think anyone stated otherwise, not sure.

What would it take to get Smith? Bogut, Redd, Jefferson. Start the discussions there. Are you willing to part with one of these guys to get him? If so come up with some suggestions and see what people think. Heck post it on the Hawks board and get some feedback. My hunch is that a deal wont happen because one we don't make good trading partners and two they don't want to lose Smith. They need a C and a PG it would appear.

My suggestion would be Redd and next years 1st for him and a filler like Claxton in a S&T. Not sure I want to ever move a 1st, but that may be what it would take to get him. Even that might be turned down I don't know. I do know that Smith is very well liked in Atlanta, at least by the fans.
Giannis
is
UponUs
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,520

Post#19 » by Profound23 » Sat Jul 5, 2008 4:24 pm

Bogut, Redd, Jefferson?

LOL if all it takes it to trade either Redd or Jefferson then I am all for it, all though I would rather trade Redd in that situation. Trading Redd for Josh Smith is even better than trading for AK47 as Smith is younger and basically the same player just more aggressive.
Chapter29
RealGM

Post#20 » by Chapter29 » Sat Jul 5, 2008 4:33 pm

Profound23 wrote:Bogut, Redd, Jefferson?

LOL if all it takes it to trade either Redd or Jefferson then I am all for it, all though I would rather trade Redd in that situation. Trading Redd for Josh Smith is even better than trading for AK47 as Smith is younger and basically the same player just more aggressive.

I said it would have to start with these players from our roster and said Redd and a 1st may get it done. Otherwise Bogut would likely be required. I also said that Smith is better than any of our players. Read much?
Giannis
is
UponUs

Return to Milwaukee Bucks