ImageImage

Alexander and Marion Comparison

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Alexander and Marion Comparison 

Post#1 » by raferfenix » Sat Jul 5, 2008 10:56 pm

I have long believed Shawn Marion would be the perfect PF on this team, so I am admittedly biased in this department. However, I think there is a lot about Alexander that could lead him to develop into a similar player, which just might be our team's intention:

1. Both are undersized, underweight combo forwards who can only play PF due to their crazy athleticism. Marion is listed as being 6'7 and 230, with Alexander at 6'8 and 230, and although I can't find Marion's combine information to compare it to I assume it is similar to Alexander's (one of the most athletic players in this draft). Where this could affect Alexander is that earlier in his career Marion played much more at SF, so even if we are planning on playing him long term at PF we might recognzie that he won't be able to do that until he improves. This could explain Hammond and Skiles hedging on how much Alexander will play at PF.

2. Both will play early in their career under Scott Skiles. Skiles took over half way through Marion's rookie year, and although there were other factors involved the team immediately improved. The next season Marion made a mjaor imporvement in his game (averaging 17 a game rather than 10), and I think attributing that in part to Skiles is no leap at all. Where this affects Alexander is that Skiles has experience coaching a similar player early in their career and getting them to develop---rapidly in Marion's case.

3. Both are extremely defensive minded and generally work horses who will do the little things. Even if Alexander never gets as good as Marion (who I believe is one of the best players in the league), he will still play a similar style, which is why I think this comparison is particularly important when discussing Alexander's long term potential.

So how about it guys---did we draft Alexander thinking he can be Skiles' Marion in Milwaukee, and if that's the case, how does that affect our other moves going forward?
andonewheel
Rookie
And1: 16

Re: Alexander and Marion Comparison 

Post#2 » by andonewheel » Sat Jul 5, 2008 11:08 pm

I don't think we drafted him hoping he'd play the majority of his minutes at PF. To me Alexander is a SF and still a work in progress- his game is far from polished or developed. Depending on what skills he works on he could become a typical SF or an undersized PF/power-game SF tweener.

I think of Marion as a unique talent and player and I can't realistically project someone to follow in his footsteps. He's a guy who can grab 12 rebounds and block two shots a game while also shooting 3's and guarding anyone from Allen Iverson to Dirk Nowitzki to Tim Duncan. That is such a rare package and I can't ever see Alexander matching up on different positions or pulling in rebounds like Marion.

I still think Alexander can be a great SF who splits some time effectively at PF to shift our tempo, but I don't agree with the Marion comparison other than superficial aspects outside of gameplay. I am optimistic like you in that I expect Skiles to get the best out of Joe and mold him into the kind of player we'd love to have.
raferfenix
RealGM

Post#3 » by raferfenix » Sat Jul 5, 2008 11:19 pm

andonewheel wrote:I don't think we drafted him hoping he'd play the majority of his minutes at PF. To me Alexander is a SF and still a work in progress- his game is far from polished or developed. Depending on what skills he works on he could become a typical SF or an undersized PF/power-game SF tweener.

I think of Marion as a unique talent and player and I can't realistically project someone to follow in his footsteps. He's a guy who can grab 12 rebounds and block two shots a game while also shooting 3's and guarding anyone from Allen Iverson to Dirk Nowitzki to Tim Duncan. That is such a rare package and I can't ever see Alexander matching up on different positions or pulling in rebounds like Marion.

I still think Alexander can be a great SF who splits some time effectively at PF to shift our tempo, but I don't agree with the Marion comparison other than superficial aspects outside of gameplay. I am optimistic like you in that I expect Skiles to get the best out of Joe and mold him into the kind of player we'd love to have.

Marion is a unique player----the key though is whether we want to develop him in a similar way. Of course I'm not saying Alexander can guard Tony Parker or can grab 12 reboudns a game right now, but if we think he can provide the kind of defensive versatilty and athleticism he does then we will plan accordingly.

I think this would most affect us in terms of how Skiles wants the pace of hte game to go, as Marion really flourished in a fast pace and Alexander would most definitely benefit from that as well.

The big quesiton is why you and others think Alexander can only be a great SF and not make the shift to PF like Marion?
andonewheel
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#4 » by andonewheel » Sat Jul 5, 2008 11:31 pm

I just don't think he's big enough to be a great PF. I think he can play a few minutes at PF when we want to play small ball and be effective in that role. I'd love for Joe to prove me wrong and flourish at PF but I don't think he's a good enough rebounder to be a starting PF and I don't think he'll be able to match up with big PFs who can shoot over him. A big vertical jump is great, but he's gonna have a tough time contesting the shot of big PFs without leaving his feet and selling out. Marion is much more the exception than the rule. Bottom line, I think Joe will be better at SF than at PF. It's hard to project his game to the pros so we'll find out.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#5 » by Chapter29 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 12:42 am

raferfenix wrote:3. Both are extremely defensive minded and generally work horses who will do the little things. Even if Alexander never gets as good as Marion (who I believe is one of the best players in the league), he will still play a similar style, which is why I think this comparison is particularly important when discussing Alexander's long term potential.

Joe Alexander is considered to be extremely defensive minded? That's news to me.

Much like Brett Favre you cannot pattern your game after Marion. Just a very unique talent.

I am not banking on Joe playing PF too often and will be happily surprised if he does and is successful. My guess is that he will see only limited time there. Given our current roster however he will see more time than I personally feel is appropriate.
Giannis
is
UponUs
bango_the_buck
Bench Warmer
And1: 149

Post#6 » by bango_the_buck » Sun Jul 6, 2008 3:12 am

I think Marion would be a good player for Alexander to try and emulate. He's got the physical tools for it to be at least feasible. Just so long as he doesn't emulate that shot...

Scott Skiles on being compared by reporters to Hall of Fame coach Pat Riley: "If I thought you guys knew anything, I'd be flattered."
raferfenix
RealGM

Post#7 » by raferfenix » Sun Jul 6, 2008 5:02 am

andonewheel wrote:I just don't think he's big enough to be a great PF. I think he can play a few minutes at PF when we want to play small ball and be effective in that role. I'd love for Joe to prove me wrong and flourish at PF but I don't think he's a good enough rebounder to be a starting PF and I don't think he'll be able to match up with big PFs who can shoot over him. A big vertical jump is great, but he's gonna have a tough time contesting the shot of big PFs without leaving his feet and selling out. Marion is much more the exception than the rule. Bottom line, I think Joe will be better at SF than at PF. It's hard to project his game to the pros so we'll find out.

Marion is more the exception than the rule no doubt, however, it is true that Alexander has a very similar size to him. This is why I don't get the argument that he's just not big enough to play there---other players of similar size have pulled it off, so why can't he?

Andres Nocioni played PF in a Marion kind of combo forward role for the Bulls, and I see no reason why Alexander couldn't do that in the same way. However, Nocioni didn't have nearly the athleticism that Alexander does---hence me brining up the Marion comparisons.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#8 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 8:19 am

:confused:
LOL....heehee.

No....no..

I don't :noway: see the comparison at all. Forgive me. Alxander=Marion which is in essence what you are implying? I'm sorry, I don't see it my friend...

There is nothing :dontknow: more to be said... :-?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks