ImageImage

Luxury Tax Number Limits Bucks Roster Options

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,494

Luxury Tax Number Limits Bucks Roster Options 

Post#1 » by old skool » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:52 pm

I am guessing that the 2008-09 Luxury Tax number of $71.150-million means that the Bucks will not be able to add any significant contract to the current roster, and probably foreshadows a trade or two that dumps contracts for lesser skilled players.

The Bucks have six roster spots to fill on the fifteen man slate, and just over $6-million to spend if they are to avoid paying the Luxury Tax. That's an average of $1-million per spot - not enough to get anyone who is really going to make a difference in 2008-09.

Things could change if they can trade away some existing contracts, but I think that is problematic in its own right. Dez could be traded for PF with a comparable salary, but how many PF's making $5-million are going to contribute? Likewise, CV with his $3.5-million deal.

The only cheap contract that is a known option is Mbah a Moute. The rest of the roster additions, barring a trade, would have to be close to vet minimum deals (and vet minimum basketball ability).

Making matters worse, it is unlikely that the Bucks will obtain more skill by taking on a longer contract. The Bucks will quickly get to the Luxury Tax limit in 2009-10, discouraging the acquisition of any multi-year contracts.

The bottom line is that I don't see how the Bucks can add any significant skill to the roster, and very well could enter the 2008-09 season with their current core. Yes they might trade some combination of CV, Dez, Mo and Gadz, but they probably will not get a talent upgrade in the process. The Luxury Tax really restricts their ability to convert those contracts into a more talented roster, particularly given that centers and PF's command top dollar (remember that Jake Voskuhl cost the Bucks $3-million last year).

With so many roster spots to fill and so few dollars available, it looks like the Bucks roster might have to take a few steps backward before it can move forward again.

One of Larry Harris' strong suits was finding an inexpensive Euro player to fill out the roster. Maybe that is an option that will allow Hammond to concentrate some salary for a PF or backup C/PF.

I could also see the Bucks entering the regular season with only 13 or 14 players under contract. If they need more bodies due to injuries, they could always sign someone to a 10-day contract in a pinch.

In any event, there are not many dollars available to fill all of the openings that exist.

oLd sKool
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,026

Re: Luxury Tax Number Limits Bucks Roster Options 

Post#2 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:33 pm

OS....Good points....I'm going to send you to this thread. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=823521

Return to Milwaukee Bucks