ImageImage

OT - Gaming Systems

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

DPGBucks
Junior
And1: 12

OT - Gaming Systems 

Post#1 » by DPGBucks » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:39 pm

I'm a guy who hasn't purchased any of PS3/360/Wii, so I'm wondering what's the best way to go?

I promised my kid a game system this weekend, and I want to get the best one for current and long term.
I'm leaning towards the PS3 for the Blu-Ray player, but the machine is quite a bit more expensive. The machine that we get will be used for sports games for me (2K b-ball, Madden) and fun/educational type games for my son. He enjoys Spongebob/Mario type games. He also want the guitar game, so throw that in the list.
Anyway, here are some questions:

Is the PS3 worth the extra money just for the blu ray player??
I've heard the 360 machines frequently break. Is this true?
Are the sports games fun on Wii??

Thanks for any info!
(If this has already been discussed in another thread, just lock it up and I'll try to dig up the old stuff)
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Re: OT - Gaming Systems 

Post#2 » by Badgerlander » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:46 pm

I'm not a big game system player, but I thought I should warn you that Wii sells out pretty quick at the local stores, so call around before you go out to get one. I know how much it sucks to have to break a promise to a kid over something you can't control. I've played Tiger on the Wii and it was really fun. Guitar Hero is a lot of fun too. I've never played anything on a PS3 and don't know anyone that has one. Good luck
aaprigs311
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#3 » by aaprigs311 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:54 pm

Nearly all my friends who have 360's have had problems with them. Whether it's something with the system or a game not working. I've always been a playstation guy and would spend the extra cash to avoid technical problems. 2k bball though? You gotta get NBA Live.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#4 » by crkone » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:54 pm

The Wii has a lot of good games that will get your son active (Wii sports) and has a few educational games such as the following links: Cosmic Family and Big Brain Academy

http://wii.ign.com/objects/873/873936.html

http://wii.ign.com/objects/853/853779.html

It doesn't have the Blu-Ray player but is cheaper and Wii Fit can get you into shape. :D

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#5 » by Mags FTW » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:03 pm

Guitar hero is on all of the systems, so that shouldn't affect your decision.

When you say sports games on the wii what do you mean? Like Madden, or are you talking about tennis, bowling, etc.?
Superfito
Senior
And1: 82

Post#6 » by Superfito » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:05 pm

360's died a lot in the past but it's not as bad anymore. Plus, there's going to be a $50 price drop on Sunday, I believe. It's an awesome system. I never even play my PS3--only use it as a blu-ray player--and I got sick of the Wii after a few months.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#7 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:05 pm

I'm a Playstation guy, but 90% of this board, if not more, is Xbox I'd guesstimate. It's quite likely you'll get a sway in that direction from this board, for good or for bad (no offense to anyone).

Personally, I significantly prefer PS's controller to that of XBox. I can't vouch for Wii's. I don't like playing sports games on anything else. Educational and kid wise, the Wii wins hands down and it's not even close. Nintendo focuses on that market far more than either Sony or Microsoft. Doesn't mean that there aren't games out there, but the selection will be much greater on the Wii.

Check out IGN, which crkone linked you to a couple times. Search through what's already been released on the systems, then look at what's ahead. If your main focus is just sports, though, XBox and PS3 will be virtually equal for all intents and purposes. They generally get the same games, so it comes down to controller preference more than anything. And, like I said, Wii wins for education and kids games.
Superfito
Senior
And1: 82

Post#8 » by Superfito » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:08 pm

crkone wrote:The Wii has a lot of good games that will get your son active (Wii sports) and has a few educational games such as the following links: Cosmic Family and Big Brain Academy

http://wii.ign.com/objects/873/873936.html

http://wii.ign.com/objects/853/853779.html

It doesn't have the Blu-Ray player but is cheaper and Wii Fit can get you into shape. :D

To put that into perspective...people burn around 40% more calories playing the Wii than other gaming systems, which still isn't much at all. I wouldn't base any purchasing decision on that.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,736

Post#9 » by DanoMac » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:10 pm

Like MikeIsGood said, I prefer the PS3. It hasn't failed me yet, and has a little better graphics system than the 360. Down the road, although the graphics aren't going to be dramatically different, will be a little better on the PS3. And the Blu-Ray player is a huge plus. Not to mention free online play to the X-Box Live's monthly payment plan. Many more problems on the 360 than the PS3 as well.

The Wii is fun, but it's only fun if you're playing with someone else. If you're by yourself doing all the motions and stuff, you just look like an idiot. I would never get the Wii as my full system for all games, but just as something fun for everyone. My best friend has the PS3 and the Wii, and only uses the Wii whenever a bunch of people are hanging out, and plays the PS3 whenever he's by himself.

PS3 would be my choice. A lot of people are going to try and sway you towards the 360. That's the cheaper of the two, so that's obviously the more common system.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#10 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:12 pm

Xbox has a price drop coming this weekend, so factor that in if price is a concern. The thing certainly does break a lot. I've sent mine in I think three times. The repairs have always been free, but I'm still without my dvd player in the meantime.
DPGBucks
Junior
And1: 12

Post#11 » by DPGBucks » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:12 pm

Thanks for the info so far-

How are the sports games on the Wii?? I'm talking about Madden football and 2K basketball. I can't really imagine how that would work with that Wii controller.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#12 » by jerrod » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:15 pm

my xbox died on me once, but i had bought the best buy warranty for it, so the next day i took it in and they handed me a new one and i switched the hard drives and went merrily on my way
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#13 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:16 pm

This should give you a good feel. Watch some of the videos to get a feel for how the controls work:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/812/812653p1.html
http://wii.ign.com/articles/799/799318p1.html

New MLB game comes out July 28th on the Wii:
http://wii.ign.com/index/release.html
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,377

Post#14 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:24 pm

Online gaming is the biggest difference between the systems. XBOX Live is far and away the best.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#15 » by jeremyd236 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:26 pm

I've had both the Xbox 360 and PS3 since launch, and I can honestly say that the 360 is a far superior product. Obviously, the PS3 is technologically more advanced, however it is not as fun. Plain and simple, the 360 is more fun.

The PS3 just had an online update like last week which now allows you to message friends, etc. while in a game. This is a huge deal for them, however Xbox live has had these features since the original Xbox. Sure, it's $50/year for Xbox 360, but as many people on this board would also tell you, it's worth that and more.

Aside from Blu-ray, there's nothing that the PS3 offers that you can't get from Xbox 360. Oh wait....there's Resistance 2 (yawn), but the 360 offers titles like Halo 4 which will be announced in 2 days, and Gears of War 2. It tells you something when a company like Harmonix decides to release Rock Band 2 two months earlier on the 360 than the PS3. Hell, EA and 2k make Madden and NBA 2k8 run at twice the frame rate on 360 than PS3.

In my opinion, the PS3 is for fanboys of the PS series (which I was until the 360 launch) who are in denial as to which system is more fun to play. If you're a tech guy who wants the "stronger" system, then get the PS3. But I'll tell you there's nothing more fun than an afternoon/evening on Xbox Live, whether it be NBA 2k8, Halo, COD4, or anything else. And when it all comes down to it, aren't you playing games to have fun? It's a no brainer.
BrewCityBBQ
Analyst
And1: 79

Post#16 » by BrewCityBBQ » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:33 pm

My 360 just took a crap on me last week, luckily I bought a PS3. I am officially done with the Xbox product line. Its a shame too because I was one of the biggest xbox supporters out there. Screw xbox get a Playstation 3. And yes I am now biased.
Redd Shaman
Junior
And1: 25

Post#17 » by Redd Shaman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:33 pm

i was ps2 forever and reluctantly bought the 360 and its Awesome. the controller, of course, was my biggest pet peve, but the 360 controllers are much closer to ps2's controllers than you think.
Stop. HAmmond TIme!
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#18 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:39 pm

jeremyd236 wrote:In my opinion, the PS3 is for fanboys of the PS series (which I was until the 360 launch) who are in denial as to which system is more fun to play.

:roll:

Exactly why I don't talk gaming on this board.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,377

Post#19 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:51 pm

Yeah these gaming threads are usually interesting and helpful for those looking for info but they always end up with personal attacks and battles.

Let's keep this one on topic and not get into a flame war. Otherwise it will be closed.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#20 » by jeremyd236 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:52 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
jeremyd236 wrote:In my opinion, the PS3 is for fanboys of the PS series (which I was until the 360 launch) who are in denial as to which system is more fun to play.

:roll:

Exactly why I don't talk gaming on this board.

Why? What is better on the PS3? What game does the PS3 offer that the Xbox 360 does not?

I think if you were to take a poll, 9 out of 10 people would prefer Halo and Gears of War over Resistence and MGS4

Edit: I'm not trying to "attack" the PS3. Remember, I own it. I'm not a guy who buys one system and trashes the other, not knowing anything about it. I own both systems and regret getting a PS3. I'm just saying.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks