ImageImage

WOW! - Clips willing to trade for Z-Bo?!

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,844

WOW! - Clips willing to trade for Z-Bo?! 

Post#1 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:06 pm

Hoopshype gives this link about a Knicks/Clippers trade that was rejected by Donnie Walsh:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/baske ... ephon.html

Hard to believe Walsh would turn down an opportunity to unload Z-Bo! Doesn't say what the Clippers would send and what else they wanted in return, but if it was just Z-Bo for some friendlier contracts (Thomas and/or Mobley) then what the heck is Walsh doing? What does he think he'll get for Z-Bo - Eric Gordon or Al Thornton? Yikes, I'm glad Walsh isn't a Buck right now.

Anyway the Clips have a ton of cap space to absorb more salary than they send out, and if they were willing to take Z-Bo they're obviously desperate for a pf. The rfa's they're pursuing will end up being re-signed like they always do, so I would suggest that CV might be one of their best options. I like them as trade partners because they could provide a lot of salary relief, thus freeing up the Bucks to use the MLE. I would even suggest the possibility of a Redd/CV package that brings back Gordon and fillers (remember that salaries don't have to match since the Clips are way under the cap).
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Re: WOW! - Clips willing to trade for Z-Bo?! 

Post#2 » by Chapter29 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:48 pm

And NY said no. No!? Um.....yeah.
Giannis
is
UponUs
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,972

Post#3 » by drew881 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:01 pm

There was a realgm article about this i think a couple days ago. They mentioned D'Antoni wants to try to revive him for the first half of this season, in order to get a higher trade value for him. If they were offering Thomas and Mobley though, that doesn't do much for the knicks. The contracts might be a bit shorter (I'm too lazy to check) but none of them are going to receive playing time, as NY has a glut of players at SF and SG.

As for the clippers, I don't like the attempt. I'd rather see them overpay for Josh smith, or hold the cap room for another year and acquire someone better. Dumping it on Randolph is a waste of money.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,844

Post#4 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:05 pm

I don't think the Knicks will have very many chances to trade Z-Bo and should jump at anything that frees up cap space in 2010. Who cares if it makes the Knicks worse this year and who cares if they could have gotten a little more for Z-Bo later on? How much can he possibly increase his trade value? They need to get another high lotto pick and free cap space.

Right on about the Clips, they should save the cap space for next year. Of course, that's what they always do and they get ridiculed for it. But they would be wise to get another high lotto pick, develop Thornton and Gordon this year, then use the cap space (as well as the expiring contracts of Thomas and Mobley) next summer.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#5 » by tedbrogen » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:12 pm

Not to mention, expiring contracts will be quite valuable next offseason as teams start to make the big push for cap space during for the epic 2010 offseason.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#6 » by bigkurty » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:57 pm

The problem with us trading CV before acquiring another PF is that it puts us at a decided disadvantage at the bargaining table when dealing with FA's and when trying to work out a trade. Other teams and agents will know we absolutely have to sign or trade for a PF so they will use that against us to bend our arm a little bit to get a little more out of us than we probably would never have to pay or give up in trade to acquire the prospective player. Maybe I am wrong in this but I know if I were another team, i would use that against the Bucks. Thats why I just don't think we will trade CV to anyone like the Clippers anytime soon and why I think the very next move we make will be to sign a PF or make a trade to acquire one.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#7 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:01 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Hoopshype gives this link about a Knicks/Clippers trade that was rejected by Donnie Walsh:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/baske ... ephon.html

Hard to believe Walsh would turn down an opportunity to unload Z-Bo! Doesn't say what the Clippers would send and what else they wanted in return, but if it was just Z-Bo for some friendlier contracts (Thomas and/or Mobley) then what the heck is Walsh doing? What does he think he'll get for Z-Bo - Eric Gordon or Al Thornton? Yikes, I'm glad Walsh isn't a Buck right now.

Anyway the Clips have a ton of cap space to absorb more salary than they send out, and if they were willing to take Z-Bo they're obviously desperate for a pf. The rfa's they're pursuing will end up being re-signed like they always do, so I would suggest that CV might be one of their best options. I like them as trade partners because they could provide a lot of salary relief, thus freeing up the Bucks to use the MLE. I would even suggest the possibility of a Redd/CV package that brings back Gordon and fillers (remember that salaries don't have to match since the Clips are way under the cap).

Why is this even a thread topic...what does this have to do with the Bucks!? We know you dont like Randolph...those who don't are dummies. He is what we need.

But can't you read. Hammond's told you he is not making trades and improving this team by dumping salaries or taking on expiring like all of you fan want him to.

Let's please...move on from this!

If one guy like Randolph can come in and upset what you are trying to do when he is a legit 20/10 guy then that says more about any stumblebutt, sorry a-- organization then it does Randolph if you ask me.

Here, Skiles should be able to handle him...He is not Stotts and Krystkowiak and there is no guy who fits what we need on the court then he does.

If the Bucks do not want to be bothered with him, or the fact NY does not want to trade him within this conference is all a matter of speculation. Skiles has had bigger headaches then Randolph in both Pheonix and Chicago and did just fine...

But no one fits what we need now then he does! Deny it all you want to...But it is a fact. It is good thing you are not the RealGM of the Bucks just like you are glad Donnie Walsh is. GM Walsh is not insane and I will side with him over most fans opinions.

He knows Zach Randolph has some value at his age and is not gonna give him away. And Hammond is not into dumping salary and taking expirings. That is the first thing that came out his mouth when he got here...

Why you continue to insist that is what he should do is beyond me. He said he will improve the team through the draft, trades and free agency...Trades being the most likely way to go about doing it.
andonewheel
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#8 » by andonewheel » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:44 pm

*scratches head*

I don't really believe this story. Sounds like some rumors evolved to me. I can't see LA wanting to do it and I can't see NY turning it down. That's common sense to me.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#9 » by Rockmaninoff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:40 pm

I think Randolph for Mobley/Thomas makes a great deal of sense for both teams.

Clippers get a guy who at his best is a 'middle-class-man's' Elton Brand. If you can get past the stereotype, I think you'll find a guy who is mentally weak, but with the right leaders around him and no other 'knuckleheads' to conspire with, will conduct himself in a semi-professional manner.

He was having a fine season in 2006/2007 when he had something to prove, coming off of injury. Of course, the Blazers eventually started slipping from playoff contention, Randolph's focus dipped, there was a reported locker room incident with B. Roy, and his season flamed out.

I'm one of the few who think this guy can do good things in the right environment, with the right authority hierarchy. Davis, Randolph, and Thornton with GordOn as the 6th man off the bench has a lot of potential in my eyes.

I don't think the Clippers are legit suitors for Josh Smith. Atlanta will match any offer.

For the Knicks, of course Mobley and Thomas expire right in time for the magical summer of 2010 free agency extravaganza. Moving Randolph also accelerates Gallinari's placement in the starting lineup, at the 4. D'Antoni's new muse has got nothing to lose.

So, like I said at the beginning, this trade helps both teams, and as a basketball fan, I'd like to see it done.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#10 » by DH34Phan » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:47 pm

Davis/Gordon/Thorton/Randolph/Kaman is a pretty nice team. Davis is a top 5 PG, Thorton is a rising star, and Kaman is their version of Bogut, but proabably better. Keep Randolph in check while giving you 17/10, and let Gordon do what he does best (shoot).

I wouldn't be surprised if they won more games than the Bucks next season, even in the West.
andonewheel
Rookie

Post#11 » by andonewheel » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:47 pm

Why would LA do this deal without throwing deals at Okafor and/or Smith first? That makes no sense to me. What rush would they have to pull the trigger on this deal?
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#12 » by Rockmaninoff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:57 pm

andonewheel wrote:Why would LA do this deal without throwing deals at Okafor and/or Smith first? That makes no sense to me. What rush would they have to pull the trigger on this deal?

I'd guess it's because they know that Charlotte and Atlanta will match any offer that the Clippers present to those two players. Now, the Clippers could make offers that would drive up the price only to be matched, but that doesn't seem to happen to any team other than the Milwaukee Bucks.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
andonewheel
Rookie

Post#13 » by andonewheel » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:08 am

How do they know that? I don't think it's a sure thing that ATL matches a max or near-max offer for Smith. I do think CHA will match just about anything for Okafor but nobody knows for sure. Maybe Smith or Okafor would publicly ask their old team not to match the offer because they want to play PF for LA. Why wouldn't LA sign one of them to an offer sheet- if the other team matches, LA hasn't lost anything and can still pursue this trade.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,972

Post#14 » by drew881 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:44 am

andonewheel wrote:How do they know that? I don't think it's a sure thing that ATL matches a max or near-max offer for Smith. I do think CHA will match just about anything for Okafor but nobody knows for sure. Maybe Smith or Okafor would publicly ask their old team not to match the offer because they want to play PF for LA. Why wouldn't LA sign one of them to an offer sheet- if the other team matches, LA hasn't lost anything and can still pursue this trade.

The only negative thing about signing someone to an offer sheet is that you lose the 2 weeks that it takes for the other team to match, putting the clips in limbo for that time while other deals might be available. It seems like they are going to be somewhat methodical about it. They talked to smith this week I think, I'm sure they will talk with Okafor, and they'll will explore some trade options before offering a deal. If they miss out on one, others may be gone by the time they can make another offer. But still, I agree that they should go after one (Smith I think before Okafor).
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#15 » by Sigra » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:12 pm

Talking about Clippers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d8PhKNK ... 88&page=20

You have to watch it ALL.

PLEASE

:lol:
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#16 » by tedbrogen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:43 pm

The offer sheet deal is down to 7 days to match now. So, the Clippers could throw an offer sheet at whichever one of Emeka and Smith would sign right away, if it gets matched then go work on the deal for Randolph. I mean, do the really anticipate that in the week they wait to find out about a team matching that someone will swoop in and take Randolph?

They are probably the only team that will take him because they are desperate and Dunvealy is "on-tilt" from losing Brand. Maybe during the wait on the offer sheet, Dunleavy would have time to cool off and think, "Hey, wait a minute. Did I just almost make a panic trade for Zack Randolph? Even I am not that dumb. Am I ?"
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#17 » by raferfenix » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:44 am

tedbrogen wrote:The offer sheet deal is down to 7 days to match now. So, the Clippers could throw an offer sheet at whichever one of Emeka and Smith would sign right away, if it gets matched then go work on the deal for Randolph. I mean, do the really anticipate that in the week they wait to find out about a team matching that someone will swoop in and take Randolph?

They are probably the only team that will take him because they are desperate and Dunvealy is "on-tilt" from losing Brand. Maybe during the wait on the offer sheet, Dunleavy would have time to cool off and think, "Hey, wait a minute. Did I just almost make a panic trade for Zack Randolph? Even I am not that dumb. Am I ?"

Did dunlevy coach Randolph in Portland? He has been a great coach at getting problem players in line, and considering it'd only cost them Timmy and Mobley I can see them pulling the trigger if there's nothing better.
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#18 » by tedbrogen » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:30 am

But why wouldn't they at least get Emeka or Josh Smith to sign an offer sheet first?

They are better options, and at the very least the end up making another team pay more than they want to for a player and take away cap space from that team in the future.

I see no reason for them to rush into a Randolph trade when they have better options available. Unless for some reason Emeka and Josh have made it clear they won't sign an offer sheet with the Clippers (which I am not sure why they wouldn't because it will increase the amount of money they will get either way, and I know the Clippers aren't a great franchise but its not the like Hawks or Bobcats are special franchises).

Return to Milwaukee Bucks