ImageImage

TrueHoop giving Sessions props

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

TrueHoop giving Sessions props 

Post#1 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:44 pm

Here's a Sessions man-love thread for ya'. It may be that Hammond and Skiles are very confident in this kids abilities and feel like he will run the team better than Mo, hence the Lue signing (which many feel is a precurser to a MO trade).

The PG's job is to feel out the game and decide when to shoot and when to distribute. Sessions is showing he knows how to make that assessment.

http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop

BEST PLAYMAKER: Ramon Sessions, Bucks
He is very good at changing up the speed of play, controlling the game and taking what the defense gives him. Against the Grizzlies, he took just four shots, but handed out a game-high nine assists. He was more shot-oriented yesterday against the Pistons, scoring 21 points on 6-for-11 from the field, but still found time to give out four helpers, while reducing his turnovers from seven to two.
andonewheel
Rookie
And1: 16

Re: TrueHoop giving Sessions props 

Post#2 » by andonewheel » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:16 pm

From DraftExpress:
Milwaukee

Ramon Sessions: 21 Points, 6-11 FG, 0-1 3FG, 9-12 FT, 6 Rebounds, 4 Assists, 2 Turnovers

Sessions had a great game today, carrying his team over Detroit in a defensive battle. He solidified his spot on the Bucks’ roster last season, and has been a standout all week here in Vegas. He’s got tremendous quickness and very good ball handling ability, allowing him to get into the lane at will. This game was just another instance of Sessions making a move at the top of the key and getting to the rim. Though he’s not going to play above the rim, he gets to the line at a high rate, and shows a lot of savvy attacking the basket. Sessions is a good rebounder for a point guard, and played solid defense throughout this game against Detroit’s lesser guards. Sessions has developed quite a bit since his days in the D-League, and given Milwaukee’s positive feelings about him, may get more playing time than most would expect.

I can't wait to see Ramon in action next season.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,736

Post#3 » by DanoMac » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:28 pm

I really hope he's the starter next year.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#4 » by europa » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:06 pm

DannoMac20 wrote:I really hope he's the starter next year.

With Hinrich likely off the trading block, this is my hope as well. I think he's the best PG on the roster right now. How much better he'll become is up to him and how hard he wants to work to improve his game. But he has serious upside in my opinion. To be this good already in terms of playing such a critical position and understanding how to play it is very impressive.
Nothing will not break me.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#5 » by Nebula1 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:18 pm

He can't be stopped. He's the gift Larry Harris left for the franchise.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#6 » by europa » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:19 pm

Nebula1 wrote:He can't be stopped. He's the gift Larry Harris left for the franchise.

Harris' unquestioned strength as a GM was finding talented guards on the cheap. No question about that.
Nothing will not break me.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#7 » by Nebula1 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:25 pm

europa wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:He can't be stopped. He's the gift Larry Harris left for the franchise.

Harris' unquestioned strength as a GM was finding talented guards on the cheap. No question about that.

The Bucks are remarkable at this. Unless they land the #1, their 1st rounders tend to be busts while they land gems in the 2nd round. Oddity if you ask me. Also a trend that looks more than possible to continue with this last draft, although I'm hoping Alexander shows me something.
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Wade-A-Holic » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:12 pm

Ron Wolf was like that for the Packers. 1st round picks would suck. 5th round picks were pro bowlers with long careers.

The difference between Wolf and Harris, however, is that Wolf traded for Favre and lured Reggie White. Harris' big trade was for Charlie Villanueva and his big free agent catch was Bobby Simmons...
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#9 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:24 pm

Interesting analogy, WAH.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,280

Post#10 » by rilamann » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:47 pm

Wade-A-Holic wrote:Ron Wolf was like that for the Packers. 1st round picks would suck. 5th round picks were pro bowlers with long careers.

The difference between Wolf and Harris, however, is that Wolf traded for Favre and lured Reggie White. Harris' big trade was for Charlie Villanueva and his big free agent catch was Bobby Simmons...

The other difference and the most important difference between the two is that Wolf obviously understood the concept of building a ''team'' while LH obvioulsy did not.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#11 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:01 pm

Nebula1 wrote:
europa wrote:

The Bucks are remarkable at this. Unless they land the #1, their 1st rounders tend to be busts while they land gems in the 2nd round. Oddity if you ask me. Also a trend that looks more than possible to continue with this last draft, although I'm hoping Alexander shows me something.

Except for that whole Boozer/Gadzuric fiasco
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#12 » by Nebula1 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:33 am

rilamann wrote:
Wade-A-Holic wrote:Ron Wolf was like that for the Packers. 1st round picks would suck. 5th round picks were pro bowlers with long careers.

The other difference and the most important difference between the two is that Wolf obviously understood the concept of building a ''team'' while LH obvioulsy did not.

I know people harp on BPA BPA BPA in the draft, but to me I think there are a few simple rules.

1. Take a player, not a project
2. Draft from a good system (coach)
3. Don't reach - Just draft solid players
4. Never trade your first round pick, unless it's to add more 1st round picks
5. Draft guys with few character flags

Sure these rules might have you miss on some high potential guys, but almost never are you going to draft a bust.

So far, our last two picks, Alexander and Yi failed these rules. Alexander is a project and Yi was a reach and not from a solid system. Alexander has some good things going for him such as a good coach and good character.

I always though Harris' biggest mistake was trading away picks.
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by power4wardjinx » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:28 pm

europa wrote:Harris' unquestioned strength as a GM was finding talented guards on the cheap. No question about that.

I'll question that? At what point did any of Harris' guards win any games in Milwaukee. I think Slickless Larry thought anybody could play guard and, hence, we're stuck with Mo Williams and Michael redd. Damon Jones and Redd were awful in the playoffs vs. Detroit in 2004. They sucked. We let Damon go to Miami and bring in Mike James, Mo Williams, Eddie House for a minute and eventually trade James for Reece Gaines. No unquestioned strength shown there.

2006 we've got Mo, redd, TJ and Charlie Bell and we still can't win games. Then we acquire Steve Blake for Big Cat and trade Blake for Earl Boykins. The Harris era was like a romp through the little guard candy store and the Bucks could never beat anybody. It's not a strength, it's his biggest weakness. He's just like his dad - go big, as big as possible and let anybody play guard. Bucks lose.

The first Harris did during the transition from Ernie to him was draft a point guard (TJ) and then trade Sam and Ervin for Joe Smith. You keep Sam and suddenly you have somebody other than Michael Redd who can control the ball, not a rookie point guard who isn't very bright, and the Michael Redd conundrum never occurs. You can still sign Damon Jones and suddenly you're not losing the 4th seed in the playoffs and falling to a matchup with Detroit, then going the Mike James, Eddie House, Reese Gaines route the next year. ...

Guards were Harris' weakness, not his strength. He **** the team up with Redd, TJ and Mo. And we're still locked in that. A lot of 6' 2" -6'3" guys can ball, but Harris was a bad judge of that, very bad.
"Power forward ... again, that's something we'll probably have to address." - Larry Costello, Don Nelson, George Karl, Scott Skiles.
http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blog ... fault.aspx
dunhill
Junior

Post#14 » by dunhill » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:29 am

Nebula1 wrote:
rilamann wrote:

I know people harp on BPA BPA BPA in the draft, but to me I think there are a few simple rules.

1. Take a player, not a project
2. Draft from a good system (coach)
3. Don't reach - Just draft solid players
4. Never trade your first round pick, unless it's to add more 1st round picks
5. Draft guys with few character flags

Sure these rules might have you miss on some high potential guys, but almost never are you going to draft a bust.

So far, our last two picks, Alexander and Yi failed these rules. Alexander is a project and Yi was a reach and not from a solid system. Alexander has some good things going for him such as a good coach and good character.

I always though Harris' biggest mistake was trading away picks.

I don't think that's fair to Alexander. If you plan on using at PF yes - he's a project. From what I've seen he is a natural SF and that's his best spot. Now barring the Jefferson trade he was more than likely going to be the starting SF. Now you have to take into account that a top 10-15 player at his position is keeping him out.

Yi was an out and out project. Guys like Dwight Howard and Amare Stoudemire are/were projects worth gambling on (see physique/athleticism).
JoeHova
Lead Assistant
And1: 61

Post#15 » by JoeHova » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:29 am

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Except for that whole Boozer/Gadzuric fiasco

That wasn't a fiasco. Sure they missed on Boozer, but Gadzuric has been the 2nd best 2nd rounder out of that draft (other contenders are Rasual Butler, Darius Songaila, Luis Scola & Roger Mason). Because of the Bucks success in the 2nd round, people underestimate how difficult it is to find a rotation player in the 2nd.

It's been 6 seasons since that draft. Only 5 of those 2nd rounders have played 300 or more games (50 per year). Twice that number have played 0! Ten more have played 82 or less.
"Look, if he sees me on his lawn waving a gun around, he's gonna pretend not to be home."
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#16 » by Nebula1 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:44 pm

dunhill wrote:I don't think that's fair to Alexander. If you plan on using at PF yes - he's a project. From what I've seen he is a natural SF and that's his best spot. Now barring the Jefferson trade he was more than likely going to be the starting SF. Now you have to take into account that a top 10-15 player at his position is keeping him out.

Yi was an out and out project. Guys like Dwight Howard and Amare Stoudemire are/were projects worth gambling on (see physique/athleticism).

He's a project in the sense that he only recently started playing basketball. I think you can see it in the fluidity of his game. He's still a little boxy. That's not to say he won't take the leap and since he's a Buck, I hope he does. But just following the rules, I don't think you draft projects if you're trying to fill out a solid roster.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#17 » by Chapter29 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:49 pm

So who do you draft Neb? Who's not a project? Lopez, Baylesss? Seems to be the same deal too me, but I guess some player drafted in our range will make an impact this season. Most will just be role players that are a project to one degree or another.

Hopefully we picked that guy. Time will tell.
Giannis
is
UponUs
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#18 » by Nebula1 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:44 pm

Chapter29 wrote:So who do you draft Neb? Who's not a project? Lopez, Baylesss? Seems to be the same deal too me, but I guess some player drafted in our range will make an impact this season. Most will just be role players that are a project to one degree or another.

Hopefully we picked that guy. Time will tell.

I think Bayless will be a talented player, but we've got Sessions. Still not a fan of Lopez. I would've liked to see a combo that brought us Brandon Rush and Jason Thompson or JJ Hickson back, in terms of drafting. I think it will be interesting to see how Anthony Randolph does. Or even Donte Greene.

Non Projects:

Rush
Bayless

Projects:

Thompson
Randolph
JaVale McGee
Hickson
Batum
Greene

Extra Bigs:

DJ White
Joey Dorsey

I think there are several combos of 2 players there that might end up with better value than Joe Alexander alone.

I also would've liked to see a deal to trade the pick to Miami for Dorell Wright. Like Mo, Mason and the #8 for Haslem and Wright. That would've worked for me.

That said, I'm in Joe's corner. But I'm not going to be optimistic like I was about Yi.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#19 » by Chapter29 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:12 pm

I agree that Bayless is talented and that he's not a good fit here, but I still see him as a project. Most notably running a team and being a distributor.
Giannis
is
UponUs

Return to Milwaukee Bucks