ImageImage

TI: CV/Gadz for Troy Murphy

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

TI: CV/Gadz for Troy Murphy 

Post#1 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:17 pm

Here's a name that has not really been mentioned so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what the feelings are. IND fans have given some love for CV, so if they want CV they will need to take Gadz to make it work.

Why IND does it: They acquire a young PF to go along with the rest of their core of Ford/Granger/Hibbert. He would slide into the starting lineup quite nicely. Giving them Gadz gives them a bit of a logjam at C unless Foster ends up logging time at PF which I believe he has. If CV doesn't work out they can let him walk or S&T to another team. Hilariously this puts Ford and CV on the same roster. All depends on how they view CV.

Why Bucks do it: CV is not a player we want to move forward with and I don't think he wants to stay here as well. Gadz is $6M in useless salary and taking on Murphys $9M turns it into more productive salary since he would be our starting PF. He's not the uber-athletic PF that we are looking for, but take a look at the second half of the Pacers season and you will see some very nice stat lines. It appears he is healthy and can rebound at a very good clip. He also has some eye-popping assist stat lines going for 5+ more than a few times which shows he's a pretty solid passer. He doesn't block shots very well, but has active hands and has decent steals numbers. He is a also a solid shooter and can stretch the floor out to the 3 point line.

I see Murphy as an upgrade over CV for a few reasons. CV will not/can not follow a gameplan and stick to playing "within" himself. He has a low bball IQ and doesn't even appear to have the physical tools to be a defender much less the mental IQ. Murphy can stay within the gameplan and follow what the coach wants him to do. He can rebound extremely well and body his man up in the paint.

I'm no cap expert so any advice on what this would do to future moves is appreciated as Murphy has the same length on his contract as Gadz, it just seems to me that if we can't use Gadz, this would allow us to turn his salary into someone who could contribute much like Hammond did with Simmons salary.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Re: TI: CV/Gadz for Troy Murphy 

Post#2 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:29 pm

Hell naw!

Hell no! No no no.

You dont move Villanueva in your division for garabage like this. No way. Three years ago, yes. No now.

I like Murphy and some of the things he brings. But you can do better then this. Although you will have Gadzuric's contract gone.

But neither team does this. I might soften on this in a day or two and come back and give a more aggreeable nod to this proposed deal...

But on the surface and my immediate reaction I say no I'll pass. However, Murphy can play some C and he does stretch the defense and he can board and rebound and you never question his drive and hustle and professionalism...he is hard-nosed, tough, and plays with a passion and mean streak at times...

So I dont know. If you could put Murphy's gamesmanship in Villanueva's soft body you would have one of the best young PF's in the NBA.

So I am torn on this one...I guess. I talked myself into it as I type on and think about it. But the moment I saw it, I flipped out.

LOL...forgive me. I guess it is passable. Murph does not play like a 6'11 smurf like someone else I know who will go nameless if not hairless....oops.

That was closing the line at the expense of trying to be humorous. Charlie is a good kid though. Nothing but respect for him really...

I want to see him be great because he has a good heart. Just wishe he was a tougher baller.
andonewheel
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#3 » by andonewheel » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:40 pm

I'd prefer CV quite a bit over Murphy, so I don't like this move at all. I'd rather bring Foster here from Indiana, maybe they'd let him go with Rasho/Hibbert now.
jeremyd236
General Manager

Post#4 » by jeremyd236 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:48 pm

I just puked
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#5 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:15 pm

Well, I knew it wouldn't be a "popular" suggestion but when I read things on the Pacers board about Troy Murphy being a "hardnosed soldier willing to bang" it makes me jealous and want to trade in our StayPuft Marshmallow boy CV.

I would most certainly see Troy Murphy as an upgrade over CV in the immediate and I think he would work well next to Bogut and fit the Skiles/Hammond mold.

Everyone thinks we are getting Marion or Odom for Mo and I would love that, but some of you better be ready for an "unpopular" PF like Al Harrington or Troy Murphy if you aren't willing to enter this season with CV as our starter and I really don't see us winning with him as a starter.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#6 » by europa » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 pm

I wouldn't do it. Murphy doesn't bring the defense I believe is needed at PF and I don't like his contract at all.

Unfortunately, I don't think this can be ruled out as a possibility. You might want to save this one EastSide although I'll hope like hell you never have to bump it up.
Nothing will not break me.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#7 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 pm

This obviously would not be my first move.

But I think this idea has some merit if the alternative is no more deals this offseason. How much more though is Murphy owed?

I remember two years ago when we were looking at getting Murphy. It seemed that in some instances he did ok as backup center. So is he our starting 4 or our backup 5 in this scenario?
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#8 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:40 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:This obviously would not be my first move.

But I think this idea has some merit if the alternative is no more deals this offseason. How much more though is Murphy owed?

I remember two years ago when we were looking at getting Murphy. It seemed that in some instances he did ok as backup center. So is he our starting 4 or our backup 5 in this scenario?

It would obviously not be any of our first moves, I hope

:lol:

But, I'm trying to think outside the box and find a team that could potentially, maybe accept taking Gadzuric of our hands and I only posted this cause I thought the outside chance is that they might.

Now, I do view this as unlikely with regards to his salary as I think he might push us into Luxury Tax land (which would probably get a veto from Kohl) and would not be smart to be paying every starter almost or more than $10M.

Murphy's remaining salary is 10.1M, 11.0M, 11.9M
Gadzurics remaining salary is 6.2M, 6.7M, 7.2M (YIKES)

So, basically for me, it's would I rather pay Gadzuric who can't even give us 15min on the court that remaining salary or would I rather pay Murphy, who can give us 30-35MPG his salary. The answer to this question is simple to me. But obviously much more complicated when you factor in the rest of our roster's salary and whether this would push us into the Luxury Tax (unless subsequent moves were made)

In the end, its going to come down to how bad Hammond wants to win now and how badly he wants to rid this team of former failures and start in a new direction. Lots of it comes down to dollars and cents though. Gadzurics $20M and keep CV or Murphys $30M (And yes Murphy can definitely play some center)
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#9 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:57 pm

This is somewhat like a poor man's version of the Zach Randolph trade. Do you want to take on a guy who is still owed $30 million but statistically he'll produce much better than Gadz will.

I guess I'd pass. I thought Murphy was only owed his money for two more years.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
cam2win
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#10 » by cam2win » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:31 pm

Take his crappy play and steep contract aside, I vote no for the simple fact that my wife tells me he looks like a "booger" everytime she sees him in a game I'm watching. I simply could not deal with 82 games of my wife telling me that Troy Murphy looks like a booger.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#11 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:52 pm

OK, I can definitely understand all the complaints about Murphy, my main complaint is the money he's owed.

But, then this takes me back to another option which is a bit better: Al Harrington.

They're a good trade partner IMO, because I think we have a number of options we could offer them.

Mo Williams - They've lost Baron Davis and are in need of a point guard. Defense not required. It depends on how they view Mo and Monta long term. On one hand they are a very small backcourt, but they are both extremely gifted offensively. Mo is a shooter and Monta is a slasher. They could be pretty dangerous offensively.

If you want to dump Mo and get a capable power forward which I think Al is. He's only 28 and has the tools and the history to play defense. Under Carlisle, next to JO he was an able defender. I think Skiles could bring it out of him.

AL is owed 9.2M and 10.1M and then his deal is done. So, financially it is better and frees up some money sooner than later.

We could then still have a CV/Mase package to explore any other options out there or we could hold onto them and see how they fit in and make a decision closer to the deadline.

If Mo is not liked by GSW then I could definitely see them interested in a CV/Mase packaged.

We're not going to find a perfect replacement or find a perfect PF because those guys are usually hung onto.

Finding the right deal IMO, is sifting thru the all of the deals and just trying to find ones that are "less bad" and keep going until you don't think you are going to find something better.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#12 » by jerrod » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 pm

europa wrote: You might want to save this one EastSide although I'll hope like hell you never have to bump it up.

why would he bump it? he's not predicting that it'll happen
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,493

Post#13 » by Profound23 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:46 pm

Trade CV/Gadz for an overpaid version of CV?

Sounds like a Larry Harris move.
andonewheel
Rookie

Post#14 » by andonewheel » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:29 am

I've thought about this more and I'm even more against it. Murphy has a worse contract than Gadz so there is no cap benefit in getting rid of Gadz. CV is a talented big man with an expiring contract, I consider him to be a more valuable talent than Murphy without contracts being an issue. So we are getting less talent in return while moving in a worse direction cap-wise.

If we are able to move Gadz along with a positive trade asset we have, then we better get a shorter contract in return, hopefully somebody who can also contribute for us as well.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks