ImageImage

OT: It's official, Childress to Greece

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Re: OT: It's official, Childress to Greece 

Post#21 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:03 pm

I think we need to offer a combo of Bell/ Gads to the greek team, for Childress.

Gads is a euro, we already know they dig Bell, and we wouldnt have to worry about the salrys matching because the cap here, is calculated in US dollars. There is not a euro cap number. It would be a huge loophole.... one worth looking into, imo. :D
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#22 » by Buck You » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:33 pm

Sucks for the Hawks. Last year when this same team offered Bell a contract I didn't think a player would actually go overseas. But, I guess that isn't the case now. Oh, and thanks for the info GAD and Fam.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,481

Post#23 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:01 pm

Josh Childress made a great decision. Good for him.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
buckaroo
Senior
And1: 0

Post#24 » by buckaroo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:18 pm

Isn't this the extreme example of take the money and run? I mean ATL seemed to break a barrier last year and now one of the key players sells out his team and fans for the bigger paycheck. Don't get me wrong. If my job said go live overseas and get a raise I would be all over it. But I don't work in an industry where the best of the best only work in one region. And I am not part of a team. If one of our players bolted to another country simply because they offered him more money, wouldn't we be calling him a sell out?
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#25 » by REDDzone » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:54 pm

Maybe Atlanta would now be interested in one of our 39 SF's.
dunhill
Junior
And1: 0

Post#26 » by dunhill » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:30 am

buckaroo wrote:Isn't this the extreme example of take the money and run? I mean ATL seemed to break a barrier last year and now one of the key players sells out his team and fans for the bigger paycheck. Don't get me wrong. If my job said go live overseas and get a raise I would be all over it. But I don't work in an industry where the best of the best only work in one region. And I am not part of a team. If one of our players bolted to another country simply because they offered him more money, wouldn't we be calling him a sell out?

You can't. Look at the circumstances. Low-ball offer and from the sounds of it extremely late. The ownership of the Hawks have earned the reputation of being the most incompetent in the NBA. They're still fluffing about with Josh Smith
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#27 » by bigkurty » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:53 am

For those statisticians out there who like Berri's work, it looks like ATL will lose about 10 extra games this year due to losing Childress.
http://www.wagesofwins.com/Atlanta0708.html

I don't know if I buy all of Berri's predictions but Thank God we didn't go with Sund as the GM. The guy is just clueless yet somehow can keep getting jobs.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#28 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:29 am

Looks like Carl Landry has been paying attention.. and may choose the same option:

Europe May Become Option for Carl Landry

Last Edited: Wednesday, 23 Jul 2008, 6:29 PM CDT
Created: Wednesday, 23 Jul 2008, 6:29 PM CDT

HOUSTON -- The agent for restricted free agent forward Carl Landry told FOX 26 Sports Wednesday playing outside the NBA may become an option for his client.

Landry played his rookie year with the Houston Rockets during the 2007-2008 season.

The Atlanta Hawks lost restricted free agent guard Josh Childress to the Greek club Olympiakos Wednesday. Like Childress, Landry is a restricted free agent. The Hawks could match any offer Childress gets from an NBA club but that option doesn't exist for teams outside the NBA.

Landry and the Rockets are in a similar situation.

"Carl would entertain all serious offers," said Buddy Baker, Landry's agent. "There is serious interest in Carl by both other NBA teams and internationally."

Landry averaged 8.1 points and 4.9 rebounds a game during his first year in the NBA.

"Carl and his agent are doing what they think is best for him and if that includes exploring Europe that is their right to do that," said Daryl Morey, Houston Rockets General Manager.

"We continue to want Carl as a Rocket. We have a difference of opinion on the next steps to get him re-signed, but we have not changed our desire to see him return."
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages ... geId=6.1.1
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#29 » by DutchManDanFan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:46 am

bigkurty wrote: I am a contrarian when it comes to the market though so now that everybody is freaking out over it, if we can get even minor relief in fuel prices, I think the economy is about due to make a comeback. But thats just a guess.

Don't count on fuel prices to help the economy. I pay € 1,60 per liter overhere. Fuel prices in the US are much lower. They won't go down, you are lucky if the increase will be mild. I think another Republican president will be brutal for the US economy and the $.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#30 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:24 am

bigkurty wrote:For those statisticians out there who like Berri's work, it looks like ATL will lose about 10 extra games this year due to losing Childress.
http://www.wagesofwins.com/Atlanta0708.html

If nobody else on the Hawks roster explodes and has a breakout year that is. Childress could be a winscore poster child. Because he only scores 11.8 ppg, he is underrated by most any other metric. Casual fans look mostly at ppg, and most others look to EFF or PER, which both give points to volume scoring.

What makes him so valuable is that he only needs 7.5 shots to get those 11.8 points, and he only turns the ball over 1.3 times per game. He only gives you a few mildly positive things, but more importantly he gives you almost zero negative things.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#31 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:46 pm

That link to WOW that Kurty posted was interesting.

What is interesting now about WOW is that we're getting the metrics down on this board and having some history to compare it to. If Atlanta is a 28-win team next year (assuming Smith is back) then Berri will have some good backing evidence for his system.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#32 » by jerrod » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:06 pm

from a yahoo article

"Well, Miami’s Dwyane Wade laughed as he delivered a baseline bid to leave the NBA in the summer of 2010. “Thirty million a season, non-taxable?” Wade said. “I might have to think about it.”"

“With the money being said that guys can get over there, it’s unbelievable,” Wade said. Not only do you have international players coming to America, you’ve got American players going international. And you’ve got big-time players doing it now. It’s interesting.

“If they offer me $40 million a year and no taxes, I might have to go over there. I’ll have to see you guys later.”"
-----

they better hurry, wade's price is climbing at 2.5 a year per paragraph :)
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#33 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:15 am

I was going to post in that RFA thread but it was locked, I assume because it was too similar to this one. So ill just post it here

weezybaby856 wrote:I dont know if this was brought up or not yet but if it was Im sorry I just want to throw in my 2 cents on this and see what everyone thinks...

Honestly it seems to me that every team w/ significant RFA's are playing some real hard ball out here this offseason.. My theory is teams are scared to overpay players and get less production because everyone knows the situation, I call it the "Shaun Alexander"..

Contract year and your the best thing anyone seen since sliced bread, ur team tells u that for ur performances last season ull never have to worry about money in ur life and the rest of ur career is a joke..

I really think teams are scared of this happening and its making more sense to me everyday..

The Azuibuke match was the eye opener for me.. No one is offering anyone squat it seems, other teams and the RFAs original team all included..

When GSW matched the Clips offer it made me realize that maybe every team is waiting to just match offers and take the stress completely off their franchise..

Take Josh Smith for example, ATL made no offer yet, team like Denver comes along, hey Josh we'll give u 5 yr 60 mil and he accepts.. ATL says ok well we will match it and J Smith is back in ATL just as simple as that

Is this a good way to be treating the players? I realize the players are only in it for the money but still?

The problem is alot of these guys are frustrated with their management, and therefor dont want to sign offersheets. (Because when their management matches them then they're stuck. Sure they could technically refuse to play and demand a trade, but thats not to their advantage at all. A team wont just cave in and give them away (the majority of the time anyways), plus the teams trying to acquire them certainly dont want to run the risk of that same thing happening to them after awhile.

Though there are some guys who just feel they arent being offered enough money (generally because they arent worth that much) and those are the ones that are tempted to go overseas where teams overpay to get an NBA player *cough*Childress*cough*.

But you wont see someone like Emeka go that route for multiple reasons, the main one being his Qualifying offer is over 7 million dollars. Which is certainly a viable option to take for 1 year and then have the freedom to go wherever he wants.

So it comes down to not liking either Management, the Money offered, and it depends on how big their QO is and whether they are comfortable taking the risk for 1 year in order to gain freedom for the next. (For example Josh Smiths is only 3.2 million)
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by DutchManDanFan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:30 am

Can a team offer Josh Smith a 1 year contract and does he become unrestricted then for next year?
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#35 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:11 pm

DutchManDanFan wrote:Can a team offer Josh Smith a 1 year contract and does he become unrestricted then for next year?

Nope.

Offer sheets must be for at least two seasons, not including option years.
If the player received a max QO (which Smith didn't) then it would have to be for at least three seasons, not including option years.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#36 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:32 pm

Atlanta signed Maurice Evans to replace Childress...nothing against Mo Evans but I would have preferred Childress if I were the ATL.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#37 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:56 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:Atlanta signed Maurice Evans to replace Childress...nothing against Mo Evans but I would have preferred Childress if I were the ATL.

I think you are confused

Maurice Evans signed with the Warriors
bigkurty
General Manager

Post#38 » by bigkurty » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:57 pm

According to Berry, Evens contributed to 0.2 wins last year. Haha, this thing is like my new favorite stat. I am going to watch this thing like a Hawk (pun intended) this year to see if the Childress for Evans swap equals about 9-10 extra losses. Now I know if someone has a break out season, that could alter it but according to Berri's theory, ATL should definitely be much worse at this point in time.
bigkurty
General Manager

Post#39 » by bigkurty » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:58 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
carmelbrownqueen wrote:Atlanta signed Maurice Evans to replace Childress...nothing against Mo Evans but I would have preferred Childress if I were the ATL.

I think you are confused

Maurice Evans signed with the Warriors

Ahh Damn, Nevermind then.
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by DutchManDanFan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:43 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:Nope. Offer sheets must be for at least two seasons, not including option years.
If the player received a max QO (which Smith didn't) then it would have to be for at least three seasons, not including option years.

OK Thanks. What if a team gives him a 2 yr $ 30 M offer. Is he unristricted after those 2 years? And which teams can make such an offer?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks