ImageImage

Landry to Follow Fellow RFA Childress to Europe?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

htr
Bench Warmer
And1: 61

Landry to Follow Fellow RFA Childress to Europe? 

Post#1 » by htr » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:27 pm

Make an offer Johnny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spo ... 04656.html
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,532

Re: Landry to Follow Fellow RFA Childress to Europe? 

Post#2 » by raferfenix » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:55 pm

He would be a great fit, and him being a local certainly doesn't hurt either---hell, it probably drastically increases the chances that he'd agree to a sign and trade to come here.

I would certainly trade CV for him, or I'd trade Mo for him and Bobby Jackson's ending deal.

After Childress bailed for Europe that Rockets will really think twice about holding firm with a contract offer, and if they are really not willing to pay him more and the Bucks are I can see them being much more amenable to a sign and trade than they would be otherwise.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#3 » by old skool » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:39 pm

The problem Hammond faces is that the Bucks cannot add much in the way of salary. They are close to the Luxury Tax the way things stand and if they add too much in future years, they would have to dump salaries to avoid the tax.

Because of that, I don't see anyway that the Bucks can add to their roster. They could do a sign and trade for Landry, but they would have to send a significant contract (and significant talent) to Houston in return. The Bucks would have to send a rotation player who is signed for a comparable number of years and dollars that Landry would command. So the cost for Landry would almost certainly have to be Mo, Redd, Bogut, or Jefferson. Houston would not want Gadzuric; they could pay Landry that money instead. So the practical issue becomes: which starter would you want to trade to for Landry?

It might work to trade Bell and Alexander for Landry. That seems like a lot to give up.

I don't see how the Bucks can add to their roster with a multi-year contract. If anything, they will look to convert a multi-year contract to a longer contract at a lower amount per year or a shorter contract. They have Luxury Tax issues to address that will make it difficult to sign CV and Sessions without dumping an existing starter for next to nothing.

oLd sKool
King Roosk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#4 » by King Roosk » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:09 pm

The Rockets have kept their MLE intact for the sole purpose of matching any offer thrown at Landry. He's a RFA, so we can match whatever he gets. If you give him more than the MLE then well...you'll regret it. Unless Morey (our GM) is planning a S and T, or Landry bolts to Europe, then Carl will be a Rocket next year. However, it's been a very annoying situation thus far.

And for what it's worth, Landry's skill set is limited. He's 24, has a bad knee, and is an undersized PF. That being said, he's a great energy player, can dunk the hell out of the ball, and isn't too bad at shooting a mid-range jumper. But trust me when I say that without a player of Mcgrady's caliber, Carl Landry will be exposed.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks