ImageImage

Monta gets a reported 6YR/$66M

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Re: Monta gets a reported 6YR/$66M 

Post#21 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:33 am

AussieBuck wrote:I think someone needs to conduct a study on how Bogut manages to score in the NBA with no post game except for that famous "lefty flip shot," no jump shot, no ability to score outside of 3 feet at all in fact and mediocre finishing at the ring. It's an amazing talent.

Tip ins, Dunks, and occasionally maybe an Alley-Oop.

Or it could be his amazing FT shooting
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#22 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:40 pm

DrugBust wrote:So, right now, do you value a guy that can dunk or a guy that can hit from the outside?

I think it is too simplistic to say Monta is a dunker. I think Emunney was using that skill as just one example of what his explosiveness can do. The part that goes along with that is the fact that Monta can explode to the hoop with a man on him. When we talk "dunker" we aren't talking about Joe Alexander or Gadz getting a perfect pass where they make a wide open dunk. Monta can bring it right at the heart of the defense and dunk it. That is a more consistent and valuable skill, as outside shooting can some nights run hot/cold and be more prone to being shut down by good defense.

But even if you don't agree on the offensive skills, Monta uses his speed in a Gerald Wallace type way on defense to disrupt a ton of things when he feels like it. He's just a uniquely skilled player.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#23 » by emunney » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:25 pm

I'd like to hire press to be the official translator for my unnecessary but unavoidable opacity. I definitely was not saying, "It's better to be able to dunk than it is to be able to hit a 3-pointer."
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#24 » by Rockmaninoff » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:53 pm

emunney wrote:I'd like to hire press to be the official translator for my unnecessary but unavoidable opacity. I definitely was not saying, "It's better to be able to dunk than it is to be able to hit a 3-pointer."

Good things happen when a player goes to the hole. I hear what you're saying loud and clear. Monta is one of the best in the game at exploding to the bucket. And, like PP said, it's a reliable skill.

I think this is a good deal for the Warriors. They lock up a guy who was putting up close to 20/5/5, in just his 3rd season, at a reasonable price. Plus, he is a huge fan favorite, even of fans of other teams.

I could see Biedrins getting the lowball offer now.

I wouldn't count the Warriors out just yet. Not with Don Nelson as coach, and not with a 60-point triumvirate of Ellis/Maggette/Jackson that averages 20 trips to the line per game.

I see the West starting to fade a little bit. In my eyes, the playoff locks are:

New Orleans
LA Lakers
Utah
San Antonio

...then the next 3 teams should be (but I think one of these teams could fail to make the playoffs)...

Houston
Dallas
Phoenix

...with the last spot going to one of LA Clippers, Portland, or Golden State.

I also think Don Nelson will do something crazy, like play Anthony Randolph at center, which isn't that crazy if Randolph can put on a few pounds and Richard Hendrix can provide some muscle at the 4 spot. It's sure to be interesting.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
Debit One
Starter
And1: 84

Post#25 » by Debit One » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:05 pm

I'm somewhat surprised that it took seven posts before this thread degraded into a "Mo sucks, no Bogut sucks" debate.

BTW - Mo sucks. :D
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#26 » by Badgerlander » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:11 pm

DrugBust wrote:
emunney wrote:The next time Mo flies down the lane and dunks in some center's face, let me know. Mo is a quick and fast player, but Monta is elite in terms of explosion with the ball in his hands. In the meantime, Monta can't shoot a 3.

I hope you realize how silly that sounds.

It's more important to be able to dunk on someone than it is to hit a three pointer consistently?

YES. Obviously to be a great guard you have to be able to do both, but I'll take someone that can finish at the rim and maybe get to the line than a chucker any day. Ellis got to the line 417 times last year or just over 5 times per game. Mo got to the line 186 times or 2.82 per game. Anytime you can get a starter on the other team in foul trouble it is huge and can create matchup problems. I think Monta is a better defender than Mo also. Monta led Mo in FG%, rebounds, steals, and turnovers. I'd take Monta any day of the week over Mo even at his new salary.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#27 » by jerrod » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:18 pm

i thought we didn't want mo being a focal part of the offense anymore? if you want him to get to the line 5 times game, he's gonna have to be
Joe Kleazy
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#28 » by Joe Kleazy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:34 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:
emunney wrote:I'd like to hire press to be the official translator for my unnecessary but unavoidable opacity. I definitely was not saying, "It's better to be able to dunk than it is to be able to hit a 3-pointer."

Good things happen when a player goes to the hole. I hear what you're saying loud and clear. Monta is one of the best in the game at exploding to the bucket. And, like PP said, it's a reliable skill.

I think this is a good deal for the Warriors. They lock up a guy who was putting up close to 20/5/5, in just his 3rd season, at a reasonable price. Plus, he is a huge fan favorite, even of fans of other teams.

I wouldn't count the Warriors out just yet. Not with Don Nelson as coach, and not with a 60-point triumvirate of Ellis/Maggette/Jackson that averages 20 trips to the line per game.

I see the West starting to fade a little bit. In my eyes, the playoff locks are:

New Orleans
LA Lakers
Utah
San Antonio

...then the next 3 teams should be (but I think one of these teams could fail to make the playoffs)...

Houston
Dallas
Phoenix

I also think Don Nelson will do something crazy, like play Anthony Randolph at center, which isn't that crazy if Randolph can put on a few pounds and Richard Hendrix can provide some muscle at the 4 spot. It's sure to be interesting.

WOW so were behind the hornets because they picked up posey and we lost turiaf.......while adding bynum and ariza again next year. We are still the favorites for next season in the west. Well unless they were in no particular order.

I do agree that the east has got better but not by much since any team other than the celtics are not a favorite. Miami will jump back into playoffs now that they are not tanking and detroit should still be good unless they make a big trade and ruin chemistry. I'm not sure about philly and atlanta yet. Orlando and toronto will be there though.

LAL
UTA
NOH
SAS
HOU
PHO/DAL ??
DAL/PHO ??
POR

BOS
DET
ORL
MIA/TOR ??
TOR/MIA ??
CLE
WAS
?????????? Any team could fall into this spot IMO.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#29 » by Badgerlander » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:38 pm

Monta isn't the focal point of GSWs offense. Last year I would say he was the 3rd option behind Baron and SJackson. I would like anyone/everyone on the team to get to the line 5 times. RJ should help a lot this year with that, and Sessions seems to be decent at it. Mo drives the lane to dish, but everyone knows it so they don't leave anyone open, so he dribbles, and dribbles, and dribbles, then chucks at the buzzer.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#30 » by Rockmaninoff » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:55 pm

Joe Kleazy wrote:
Rockmaninoff wrote:

New Orleans
LA Lakers
Utah
San Antonio

Houston
Dallas
Phoenix

WOW so were behind the hornets because they picked up posey and we lost turiaf.......while adding bynum and ariza again next year. We are still the favorites for next season in the west.

I do agree that the east has got better but not by much since any team other than the celtics are not a favorite. Miami will jump back into playoffs now that they are not tanking and detroit should still be good unless they make a big trade and ruin chemistry. I'm not sure about philly and atlanta yet. Orlando and toronto will be there though.

LAL
UTA
NOH
SAS
HOU
PHO
DAL
POR

BOS
DET
ORL
MIA
TOR
CLE
WAS
?????????? Any team could fall into this spot IMO.

Don't worry, your team will be dominant.

I just think that New Orleans has the best player and yes, Posey is a big time addition. The 'real' Kobe stopper if you will.

I think as the rosters stand, LA has a little more confusion in it's rotation, and New Orleans is pretty much set.

Now, you're crazy if you think the Heat are going to get the 4th seed. There is just too much uncertainty at the critical positions of point guard and center. Beasley, Chalmers, and Jones are nice additions, but they are not going to lift the Heat to the 4th seed. The Heat will be one of the teams fighting for the 8th seed.

It's a little early to do all this prognosticating. I only did the above to show that the Warriors are by no means out of it. But anyway, here is how I see the East as of now...

Detroit
Boston
Philadelphia
Cleveland

Toronto
Orlando
Washington

Milwaukee (over Indiana, Charlotte, and Miami for the 8th seed)
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
Zeus LA
Junior
And1: 118

Post#31 » by Zeus LA » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:32 pm

Monta is one of the better midrange shooters in the league these days. No, he can't shoot the 3 consistently, but he has added a lot of Rip Hamilton to his game over the last 12 months.
yuedar
Rookie
And1: 58

Post#32 » by yuedar » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:57 pm

As a fan of both teams (bucks and warriors) why the :censored: are there so many bucks posters posting on here? What does Monta have to do with the Bucks? Nothing!

I really don't think Mo and Monta can be compared. Bucks fans are screaming to trade mo with CV in some kinda blockbuster deal to get a PF yet I find them on here trying to pick at warriors fans against monta? Crazy... Monta > Mo any day of the week. :thumbsup:

Back on topic good signing by the warriors. Hopefully Beindris gets signed soon.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#33 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:06 pm

yuedar wrote: Monta > Mo any day of the week. :thumbsup:

Not at $11 million per.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
yuedar
Rookie

Post#34 » by yuedar » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:25 pm

Atleast Monta has been to the second round of the playoffs while playing a key starting roll on his team. Mo can't say that...

Also to develop a jump shot is easier then learning how to drive to the basket effectively. The nba has so many shoot around practices and alot of learning has to come on the court.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,018

Post#35 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:48 pm

yuedar wrote:Atleast Monta has been to the second round of the playoffs while playing a key starting roll on his team. Mo can't say that...

Also to develop a jump shot is easier then learning how to drive to the basket effectively. The nba has so many shoot around practices and alot of learning has to come on the court.

Mo Williams is actually pretty good at getting to the hoop.
yuedar
Rookie

Post#36 » by yuedar » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:59 pm

He's ok but Monta is better.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#37 » by crkone » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:00 pm

I thought you guys were overreacting on Ellis' bad shooting, but wow 42.5% eFG on jumpshots is Royal Ivey territory. He is great at getting to the basket though.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07GSW4A.HTM

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#38 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:14 pm

Zeus LA wrote:Monta is one of the better midrange shooters in the league these days.
I don't watch him much, but I'm not sure if I buy it based on the stats. Two point jump shot percentages:

Mo: 51%
Nash: 50%
Calderon: 49%
Terry: 48%
Paul: 47%
Ford: 47%
Parker: 47%
Hamilton: 47%
Cassell: 47%
Ellis: 43%

That's by no means a complete list (but this is: http://www.82games.com/FGSORT7.HTM ) - I'm just showing that there are quite a few short guards that shoot the 2 point jumper quite a bit better than Ellis does. Like many others here, I'm impressed by his ability to get to the basket, but I think you can only make big commitments to a small number of players considering the salary cap - and if you make a midget two guard one of your core players, it gets awfully hard to win the championship.

That's not a knock against Ellis at all - just a sad truth about the NBA. Lots of other teams are building around equally skilled (or better in some cases) players who have better size for their position, and it will show in the playoff standings.
Zeus LA
Junior
And1: 118

Post#39 » by Zeus LA » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:09 pm

adamcz wrote:
Zeus LA wrote:Monta is one of the better midrange shooters in the league these days.
I don't watch him much, but I'm not sure if I buy it based on the stats. Two point jump shot percentages:

Mo: 51%
Nash: 50%
Calderon: 49%
Terry: 48%
Paul: 47%
Ford: 47%
Parker: 47%
Hamilton: 47%
Cassell: 47%
Ellis: 43%

That's by no means a complete list (but this is: http://www.82games.com/FGSORT7.HTM ) - I'm just showing that there are quite a few short guards that shoot the 2 point jumper quite a bit better than Ellis does. Like many others here, I'm impressed by his ability to get to the basket, but I think you can only make big commitments to a small number of players considering the salary cap - and if you make a midget two guard one of your core players, it gets awfully hard to win the championship.

That's not a knock against Ellis at all - just a sad truth about the NBA. Lots of other teams are building around equally skilled (or better in some cases) players who have better size for their position, and it will show in the playoff standings.

Thanks for the stats.
You're right, according to the stats he's not elite for his position yet. The games that I watched, he certainly seemed to have improved his in between game, as defenders almost always played him for the drive. He was taking and making jumpers off the dribble a'la Tony Parker. It obviously didn't translate in terms of percentage over the season, however he was making good basketball plays nonetheless.

I'm not a Monta booster by any means, just trying to point out that his game is more developed than some have indicated here.
And now it's over to...Moira
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#40 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:17 pm

He's a good player for sure. The only negative to him is something we in Milwaukee know well - paying a high salary to a player who isn't one of the key cogs to a championship team can only be done once or twice before it starts to hurt your team in a big way. Could Monta be the 3rd option on a championship team? Sure. It's the rationalization we've become experts at with Redd and Mo (and Bogut?).

But I really think the Warriors are spending money just because they can - not because anyone thought it would be a great idea to enter the next five years with a core of Ellis/Maggette/Jackson.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks