ImageImage

OT: Luol Deng: 6-years/$70mm

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

yuedar
Rookie
And1: 58

Re: OT: Luol Deng: 6-years/$70mm 

Post#21 » by yuedar » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:25 am

to be honnest neither of them would get that kinda money from me if I was gm. I would take that 70 some million dollars or whatever it is deng is getting cut it in half and offer them both 3 year deals with that money split in 2 or 60/40 for those gorden haters (that favor deng) and if they don't like it owell... that money then would have been given to some major FA like baron or brand. You won't win jack with deng on your roster making that kinda money.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,022

Post#22 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:30 pm

yuedar wrote:to be honnest neither of them would get that kinda money from me if I was gm. I would take that 70 some million dollars or whatever it is deng is getting cut it in half and offer them both 3 year deals with that money split in 2 or 60/40 for those gorden haters (that favor deng) and if they don't like it owell... that money then would have been given to some major FA like baron or brand. You won't win jack with deng on your roster making that kinda money.

:-?
Im a little confused are u saying give a 3/30mil to each Deng and Gordon?
They both would most likely say no, but it doesnt solve the problem of them putting u into the luxury tax
More Bang For The Bucks
Starter
And1: 0

Post#23 » by More Bang For The Bucks » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:05 pm

that's too much $$ for a SF in today's game not named Lebron, have to agree with the Deng naysayers here. I like a Redd for Hinrich and Gooden type deal if another team foolishly overpays for Gordon. Redd or Hinrich playing SG under Skiles is an interesting question for Bucks and Bulls boards.
by LUKE23 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am
I certainly wouldn't be dancing in the streets or bestowing a bunch of praise on Hammond though.
It's like taking three huge dumps on your kitchen floor, then cleaning up one of them.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#24 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:44 pm

Sounds like this deal could be closer to $80 Million rather than the $70 million initially reported.
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#25 » by sonny » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:25 pm

More Bang For The Bucks wrote:that's too much $$ for a SF in today's game not named Lebron, have to agree with the Deng naysayers here. I like a Redd for Hinrich and Gooden type deal if another team foolishly overpays for Gordon. Redd or Hinrich playing SG under Skiles is an interesting question for Bucks and Bulls boards.

Can't see the Bulls trading for Redd and his salary.

carmelbrownqueen wrote:Sounds like this deal could be closer to $80 Million rather than the $70 million initially reported.

It's 70M but team incentives (2nd round of playoffs, conference finals) could make it 80M. If our team is that good, Deng will play a big role in it.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,496

Post#26 » by old skool » Fri Aug 1, 2008 2:35 pm

yuedar wrote:to be honnest neither of them would get that kinda money from me if I was gm. I would take that 70 some million dollars or whatever it is deng is getting cut it in half and offer them both 3 year deals with that money split in 2 or 60/40 for those gorden haters (that favor deng) and if they don't like it owell... that money then would have been given to some major FA like baron or brand. You won't win jack with deng on your roster making that kinda money.

A few posts earlier you said that that the Bulls should give Gordon a $70-mil contract. That is a lot of money to pay someone who cannot make your starting lineup.

Then you say that you would offer Deng and Gordon smaller contracts with a shorter duration, and use the rest of the money to sign a major free agent. That can't happen. Even if Deng and Gordon would sign a couple of $30-million contracts, the Bulls would not the cap space to sign a major free agent. The most the Bulls would be able to offer Brand or Baron Davis would be the MLE, which they obviously would not sign. What you would likely have is Deng and Gordon playing one more year for the QO, and leaving after this season for zero compensation to the Bulls. That plan would make sure that the Bulls are in the lottery for the next few years.

oLd sKool
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,754

Post#27 » by Ayt » Fri Aug 1, 2008 3:06 pm

old skool wrote:Gordon is a tough call for the Bulls.

At 6'1" he is an undersized SG, which always leaves the Bulls with a defensive mismatch. The Bulls expect Sefalosha to be the starter at SG in the long run, so they can't invest too much in Gordon.

Gordon is a very streaky shooter - which is good when he is hot and not so good when he is cold. On average, he is a sub par shooter, averaging .410 FG% for his career. He shoots a much lower percentage than TJ Ford.

Gordon is a poor ball handler. He averages more than 2 TOs a game, and is not a primary ball handler.

Gordon's strength is that he is a scorer. But he needs a lot of shots every night to score. And sometimes he goes into long slumps. There is a reason why he has started less than half of his games with the Bulls.

Deng is a much better player.

He is long, can score, rebound and defend. He shoots a fairly high FG%, .480 for his career. Almost all of that comes inside the arc. He needs to gain some weight and have his body mature. He is only 23 years old - two years younger than Gordon.

oLd sKool

You are really off on his shooting. He has a career FG% of .432 and .416 on threes. His 3PT% is the 10th best in NBA history and 4th amongst active players. He takes and makes a lot of threes (31% of his career attempts are threes), which means he's nothing like TJ Ford when it comes to shooting or scoring. He's more like a shorter Ray Allen.

That being said, he's not worth the money he wants and Deng is a much better investment. But Gordon can definitely shoot the ball extremely well. The problem is, that is all he does well, so he's either the starter on a team that can hide his deficiencies or he's a sixth man, which he apparently doesn't accept. I don't see anyone giving him a contract like Deng's.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#28 » by eagle13 » Fri Aug 1, 2008 4:45 pm

Deng is a very nice player with still more potential but is now waaaaaay overpaid. He got Bogut biedrins Oakafor $$$.

I'd love Redd for KH & DG
good to go also to mo for batt.

then cv & gadz for miller

Return to Milwaukee Bucks