ImageImage

Hoopsworld writer trade idea -CV to Indy

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

CBUCK06
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Hoopsworld writer trade idea -CV to Indy 

Post#1 » by CBUCK06 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 2:53 am

One their website rignt now, interesting, Would CV and Dez work for Foster and soneone young? Speculation at this point but it's quiet around here.....
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Re: Hoopsworld writer trade idea -CV to Indy 

Post#2 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:05 am

I edited the title. There is no rumor or new information about CV to Indy, even though a CV trade could conceivably occur sometime down the road. This "story" is the equivalent of a "TI" post by one of us.

Here's the link.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9672

This is nothing but one of their "writers" thinking to himself that Indy might make sense for CV. Then he offers up the idea of the Pacers sending Troy Murphy here because of his "defensive intensity" that Skiles might like. Then the story links to an Indy star story that doesn't exist.

Edit: Ok, I found the broken Indy Star link that the hoopsworld guy tried to link to in order to support his trade idea. It is hard to see how this article leads to a CV trade, although the writer thinks Milwaukee will get the 8th seed over the Pacers.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

*sorry for the long post. I'm like GAD on salary cap issues when it comes to "Hoopsworld" stories.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#3 » by midranger » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:16 am

I had posted this trade....

Mil Gets:
Shawn Marion

Indy Gets:
CV
Mason
2nd round pick

Miami Gets:
Foster
Mo Williams
Maceo Baston (filler)

Basically the same idea for Indy. I don't know if I like the idea of plugging Foster in as our full time PF. He's definitely more of a center IMO.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
pasting_monkeys
Starter
And1: 1

Post#4 » by pasting_monkeys » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:24 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Edit: Ok, I found the broken Indy Star link that the hoopsworld guy tried to link to in order to support his trade idea. It is hard to see how this article leads to a CV trade, although the writer thinks Milwaukee will get the 8th seed over the Pacers.

The only thing i could find in the indystar blog that could be connected to CV is this:
Larry Bird even said they need to get a power forward that can score in the paint.

While CV is a good scorer, I'd hardly call him a post player.

And there's no way Hammond is going to take Murphy's contract off their hands. We're having enough trouble staying under the threshold as it is.

Although getting Foster is intriguing. Could he start at PF though?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#5 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:54 am

I'd love Foster as our backup center. But I can't see him at PF next to Bogut (or vice versa)

And Murphy's contract is still awful......

midranger
RealGM

Post#6 » by midranger » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:06 am

I'd take Murphy if the price were right, read: Gadzuric and Bell, but I don't think I'd do Gadz and CV. In part just because we're already so thin upfront, trading 2 for 1 would be tough.

I do think Murphy is a little bit better than he's often given credit for because of his insane deal. Imagine Rasheed Wallace if Rasheed wasn't crazy or a very good defensive player. That's how I see Murphy. Good outside shooter, adequate to good rebounder, fairly heady, doesn't really miss too many games.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,532

Post#7 » by raferfenix » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:50 am

midranger wrote:I had posted this trade....

Mil Gets:
Shawn Marion

Indy Gets:
CV
Mason
2nd round pick

Miami Gets:
Foster
Mo Williams
Maceo Baston (filler)

Basically the same idea for Indy. I don't know if I like the idea of plugging Foster in as our full time PF. He's definitely more of a center IMO.

I like this idea a whole lot, but I worry that both Indiana and Miami might want more. I think the Heat would demand Shawne Williams be included in the deal and I worry the pacers wouldn't be willing to do it. CV could be a great fit in O'brien's system while doing his best Antoine Walker impression, but his vlaue is so low around the league that I bet hte pacers would be real hesitant before they do this deal. Even worse, the pacers might demand one of the Bucks or Heat take Tinsley, and I'd worry a lot about that for us (even if all it entailed was a gadz swap). The heat tkaing on that much money at PG is also real unlikely sadly too.

for Miami, their suitors for Marion are decreasing and Wade is speaking openly about how much he likes playing with good PG's. Even if you're not a big Mo fan, it's clear he's infintiely superior to anything the Heat have on their roster and at the least comprable to any PG they may be able to trade for (assumign they don't deal wade or beasley). However, they definitely won't add that much salary unless they think it will make them at least competetive for the playoffs this year, and they desperately need major help at center and at least some help at SF to have that ensured.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,532

Post#8 » by raferfenix » Mon Aug 4, 2008 5:25 am

midranger wrote:I'd take Murphy if the price were right, read: Gadzuric and Bell, but I don't think I'd do Gadz and CV. In part just because we're already so thin upfront, trading 2 for 1 would be tough.

I do think Murphy is a little bit better than he's often given credit for because of his insane deal. Imagine Rasheed Wallace if Rasheed wasn't crazy or a very good defensive player. That's how I see Murphy. Good outside shooter, adequate to good rebounder, fairly heady, doesn't really miss too many games.

Murphy is better than what he's given credit for, but I just don't think we can afford to pay anotehr bad defender that much money. If we plan on trading Redd i'd feel differently, but otehrwise I'd prefer to wait till we can eventually dump gadz or bell for an ending contract and then just use that money on an MLE kind of player.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#9 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 9:04 am

paulpressey25 wrote:I edited the title. There is no rumor or new information about CV to Indy, even though a CV trade could conceivably occur sometime down the road. This "story" is the equivalent of a "TI" post by one of us.

Here's the link.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9672

This is nothing but one of their "writers" thinking to himself that Indy might make sense for CV. Then he offers up the idea of the Pacers sending Troy Murphy here because of his "defensive intensity" that Skiles might like. Then the story links to an Indy star story that doesn't exist.

Edit: Ok, I found the broken Indy Star link that the hoopsworld guy tried to link to in order to support his trade idea. It is hard to see how this article leads to a CV trade, although the writer thinks Milwaukee will get the 8th seed over the Pacers.

*sorry for the long post. I'm like GAD on salary cap issues when it comes to "Hoopsworld" stories.
Thank you paulpressey for the needed 'clarification' on this....

Much appreciated. And no you would not trade CVill in our own division to a team we will have to battle for the last spot with, for a guy like Jeff Foster.

I would trade Gadzuric for him straight up, but not Villanueva. You should get more for Charlie then that.

Now don't get me wrong, Foster is good at what he does and I would love to have him. But Bird if he had any sense would keep Foster there.

The Bucks are not getting the 8th seed with a team like this...

No ideal deal.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#10 » by carmelbrownqueen » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:36 pm

Since when did Troy Murphy and "defensive intensity" become synonymous? We are talking about the same Troy Murphy that I have seen play over the years.. I seem to remember an over paid jumpshooting PF (likes the three an off lot) who is slow footed on defense and lacks defensive intensity. He has pretty stats but he isn't necessarily an upgrade over CV defensively AND he's more expensive.

Now with that said, there was some talk about the Bucks acquiring Murphy but I just brushed it off as a really bad dream and nothing I wanted to see in reality.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#11 » by eagle13 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:30 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:Since when did Troy Murphy and "defensive intensity" become synonymous? We are talking about the same Troy Murphy that I have seen play over the years.. I seem to remember an over paid jumpshooting PF (likes the three an off lot) who is slow footed on defense and lacks defensive intensity. He has pretty stats but he isn't necessarily an upgrade over CV defensively AND he's more expensive.

Now with that said, there was some talk about the Bucks acquiring Murphy but I just brushed it off as a really bad dream and nothing I wanted to see in reality.

Amen.

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:And no you would not trade CVill in our own division to a team we will have to battle for the last spot with, for a guy like Jeff Foster.

Now don't get me wrong, Foster is good at what he does and I would love to have him. But Bird if he had any sense would keep Foster there.

Yep.
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#12 » by CableKC » Mon Aug 4, 2008 7:12 pm

I doubt that the Bucks would be interested in adding Murphy's contract despite the liklihood that they maybe interested in moving CV. I am guessing that other teams can offer something is a cheaper alternative for a player that seems to still have some potential.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
HicksvsKnicks08
Senior
And1: 0

Post#13 » by HicksvsKnicks08 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 10:13 pm

Pacer fan,

but I worry that both Indiana and Miami might want more

Indiana fans would have mixed emotions. CV might be nice, but the rep from the board here is he's soft ( strange, considering he is from Bushwick, Brooklyn a place I know there is nothing soft about) Foster is much, much better suited to play PF. He is very agile for his size and , I was amazed at the defense he played on Duncan. He only played C because O'Neal is soft and doesnt like to get boddied up by those bigger than him. Foster would work lovely next to Bogut. Foster though is probably our best trade asset right now , so we would want an immediate impact plaer in return.

I read the Murphy comment ( defensive for Skiles) LMAO!!!! No sir, you want to buy a piece of the Brooklyn bridge too??, lol The Murph man can rebound, block a few, pass well, and shoot exceptional for a man his size. Has lateral foot speed on D though will make Hibbert look like Chris Paul. Back to the original trade, I think It's actually one of the best trade ideas yet. Truthfully, I think only the Pacers would have to think if they are getting enough in return (Foster is also a 7 million exp contract)

What about a CV, Mason, future pick for Foster , Tinsley, 2nd?

PS Jefferson is underated. Skiles ( I know this from living in the Chi) will get the most out of him.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#14 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Mon Aug 4, 2008 10:19 pm

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Much appreciated. And no you would not trade CVill in our own division to a team we will have to battle for the last spot with, for a guy like Jeff Foster.

It doesn't matter that the Pacers are in our division. This isn't the NFL or MLB.
In the NBA, conference matters, not division.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
steger_3434
RealGM
And1: 5,448

Post#15 » by steger_3434 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 10:51 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Much appreciated. And no you would not trade CVill in our own division to a team we will have to battle for the last spot with, for a guy like Jeff Foster.

It doesn't matter that the Pacers are in our division. This isn't the NFL or MLB.
In the NBA, conference matters, not division.

I was wondering how long it would take you to chime in on this comment 8-)
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#16 » by Rockmaninoff » Tue Aug 5, 2008 1:43 am

midranger wrote:I had posted this trade....

Mil Gets:
Shawn Marion

Indy Gets:
CV
Mason
2nd round pick

Miami Gets:
Foster
Mo Williams
Maceo Baston (filler)

I forgot about Wade's cap hold in that other thread, PP. And, I'm delusional in my attempts to push Gadzuric as an asset.

But, this deal up above is about as realistic as it gets and would be pretty hard for the Heat and the Pacers to turn down. A good deal for all teams. Nice job, Midranger.

One question though: Is the 2nd round pick that is going to the Pacers, coming from Milwaukee or Miami? The reason I ask is because Miami has 4 second round picks next year, with 2 of them owed to Minnesota. One of which, is potentially Indiana's 2009 second round pick.

And, if push came to shove and in order to get the deal done, I'd still offer Miami our 2009 first round pick. Marion would be worth that.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#17 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Aug 5, 2008 2:06 am

So we'd offer up Mo, Dez, CV and a possible first for Marion?

I couldn't go for that. Too much to give up for a one-year rental unless we want to meet Marion's asking price of a four-year/$60mm extension (which makes his total deal 5-years/$77mm)

I'd do it if we didn't need to include the draft pick.

The only problem with Mid-Ranger's trade is that again Pat Riley being a fancy boy and all supposedly wants his cap space.

midranger
RealGM

Post#18 » by midranger » Wed Aug 6, 2008 12:19 am

I don't get the cap space plan. That assumes they let Marion walk, correct? So they'd have to sign someone significantly better than Marion in order to be a better team. That's a big risk.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#19 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Aug 6, 2008 2:45 am

midranger wrote:I don't get the cap space plan. That assumes they let Marion walk, correct? So they'd have to sign someone significantly better than Marion in order to be a better team. That's a big risk.

Reading all the Heat stories the last couple months you get the impression that Riley is hanging on to Marion's contract to go after a big name FA next season with that cap space. The Heat and Marion had a ton of talks last month about an extension but Marion wants a four-year extension (plus his current $17mm owed this year) at $15 million a year. I thought the news reports had Riley offering something like three-years/$30 million.

The thought was that Riley would let Marion play this year and then use his cap space to pull in Brand, Baron Davis or Boozer. Well 2/3rds of that plan went down the drain. But Boozer is still talking about how he lives in Miami, loves Miami, loves the owner etc. So it seems logical the Heat will either re-sign Marion next summer or go after Boozer. That doesn't seem so risky.

But I do agree that 2010 is risky. A lot of those guys on the market are going to get way overpaid by someone.....Riley might think he's getting LeBron and in reality he'll be allowed to give Juwan Howard a $110 million dollar deal like he did in 1996.
midranger
RealGM

Post#20 » by midranger » Wed Aug 6, 2008 3:25 am

I'm no capaologist, but just briefly looking at the Heat's situation, if they sign Marion or Boozer next summer to 15 million per and max Wade out the next summer, they'd be looking at ~40 million committed to 4 players total. My guess is that someone (think Cleveland) would pony up a MLE type deal to Daquan Cook (if he's any good in the next couple years) to make the Heat match or lose him for nothing, just to eat away another 5-6 million of their space. Add in various draft picks over the next 2 seasons and you're at about 50 million for 7 guys. I just don't see the room to max out Lebron or Bosh. I guess they could trade a couple picks to move Banks's awful deal, but that'd be a tough pill to swallow with no guarantees.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks