And1: 3,597

Re: OT: Paul Pierce 

Post#23 » by Balls2TheWalls » Tue Aug 5, 2008 9:57 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:
jerrod wrote:
emunney wrote:WRau: Based on what?

i'd go with the fact that kobe is better than pierce

Bullseye

It's still a BS assertion. There is so many things wrong with assuming a 1 for 1 swap like that immediately helps either team.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#24 » by WRau1 » Tue Aug 5, 2008 10:36 pm

Pierce is not good enough to make other players around him better and hes not good enough to where you double him. He can't put a team on his back and he lacks the "go for the throat" mentality that Kobe, KG, Paul and other top tier talent have. Pierce is a glorified 2nd banana (like Redd) who got a good match up in the finals. He was well rested from letting KG carry the Celtics all the way to the championship.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
BlueJeep
Junior
And1: 0

Post#25 » by BlueJeep » Tue Aug 5, 2008 10:43 pm

jerrod wrote:
weezybaby856 wrote:'
I need opinions on this PLEASE

my opinion is that someone with your username being upset at someone erroneously referring to themselves as the greatest is hilarious

so hypocrytical :D

next well have some grizzlies fan over here named DJKhaled4236296 stating "the grizzlies are THE BEST"
Im ruff around the edges like a thug with elegance
The world needs to get up off my nuts cuz everybody actin like some elephants

Buck the World

I have a Ruben Patterson sized man crush on Brandon Jennings
BlueJeep
Junior

Post#26 » by BlueJeep » Tue Aug 5, 2008 10:46 pm

VanillaSky wrote:pierce IS the best player on the celtics, not only was he finals mvp, but also the only celtic who showed up for game 5 in LA, ray and kg, were in uniform that night, but were no shows on the court, Pierce is the man in bean town! top 5 in the nba.....

1-kobe
2-labron
3-wade
4-DWILL
5-paul
6-172
173-brian scalabrine
174-pierce

FIXED, ur welcome

Buck the World

TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#27 » by TheOGJabroni » Tue Aug 5, 2008 10:49 pm

WRau1 wrote:Pierce is not good enough to make other players around him better and hes not good enough to where you double him. He can't put a team on his back and he lacks the "go for the throat" mentality that Kobe, KG, Paul and other top tier talent have. Pierce is a glorified 2nd banana (like Redd) who got a good match up in the finals. He was well rested from letting KG carry the Celtics all the way to the championship.

Do some people even watch the C's? Everyone knows KG is a tremendously talented player, clear top 10 in the league probably much better. But he does not have this "go for the throat mentality" that you speak of. Pierce does. He has willed the C's to victories on many occasions, and no not just this year. He has always had the scoring ability which has had people put him top 20, top 15 in the past. This year he displayed he has much more to his game than that. He is a very good distributor when he has talent around him, a well above average rebounder for his position, and more importantly, I can't think of too many people that played such suffocating defense on the likes of Kobe. While I don't agree that he is the best in the NBA, I can't blame him for having that state of mind. He's on top of the world. He is a Finals MVP on a terrific team that manhandled the Lakers.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#28 » by WRau1 » Tue Aug 5, 2008 10:56 pm

Such suffocating defense? You mean that every time that Kobe touched the ball, Pierce immediately had help?
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach

Post#29 » by TheOGJabroni » Wed Aug 6, 2008 12:44 am

WRau1 wrote:Such suffocating defense? You mean that every time that Kobe touched the ball, Pierce immediately had help?

It's not his fault that he had very good help defense, but even without it there were many parts of the game Pierce individually contained Kobe like only very few could.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,989

Post#30 » by midranger » Wed Aug 6, 2008 12:54 am

Pierce certainly looked like the best player in the world in the playoffs. However, Joe Johnson looked like the second best player, so I'm not sure what that proves.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach

Post#31 » by TheOGJabroni » Wed Aug 6, 2008 1:01 am

midranger wrote:Pierce certainly looked like the best player in the world in the playoffs. However, Joe Johnson looked like the second best player, so I'm not sure what that proves.

I don't think Joe was that impressive. I thought Josh Smith was just as, maybe even more important to his team. He caused so many match-up problems. It was unreal.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,989

Post#32 » by midranger » Wed Aug 6, 2008 1:07 am

bosFcelts wrote:
midranger wrote:Pierce certainly looked like the best player in the world in the playoffs. However, Joe Johnson looked like the second best player, so I'm not sure what that proves.

I don't think Joe was that impressive. I thought Josh Smith was just as, maybe even more important to his team. He caused so many match-up problems. It was unreal.

The Hawks were going to beat you guys until the Celts triple teams Joe literally every time he touched the ball. He was unstoppable 1 v 1.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,544

Post#33 » by Frank Nova » Wed Aug 6, 2008 2:01 am

jerrod wrote:

my opinion is that someone with your username being upset at someone erroneously referring to themselves as the greatest is hilarious

U my friend are obviously a souljah boy fan and do the superman dance and get silly in ur bedroom alone wayyyy to often to make a crack at me like that my friend..

and for the record, Lil Waynes last THREE albums speak for themselves and he is the BEST in the music industry, so maybe u should quit gettin silly and open ur ears
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#34 » by jeremyd236 » Wed Aug 6, 2008 2:34 am

Pierce is not the best player in the league, it's not even close. Last season, Pierce's team had the worst record in the league. In that same year, Lebron carried his pathetic team to the NBA finals.

Were the Cavaliers (outside of Lebron) really that much better than the Celtics (outside of Pierce)? No. Pierce at least had Jefferson who put up what? 22/11 this year? Nobody on Lebron's roster was capable of 22/11 at any point during their career.

Just because Pierce looks good on TV hitting those jump shots and jumping up and down yelling and **** doesn't mean he's the best player in the world, or that he's even close. Winning and making your teammates better are what make you the best player. Scoring points doesn't mean ****.

And nobody in the current NBA should ever be compared to MJ. Michael Jordan would not have lost against the Celtics, no chance in hell. He was absolutely dominant come playoff/Finals time. He sure as hell wouldn't lose with Phil Jackson as his coach and Odom/Gasol. Odom/Gasol alone are better than any two players he ever had on his team at once.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach

Post#35 » by TheOGJabroni » Wed Aug 6, 2008 3:49 am

jeremyd236 wrote:Just because Pierce looks good on TV hitting those jump shots and jumping up and down yelling and **** doesn't mean he's the best player in the world, or that he's even close. Winning and making your teammates better are what make you the best player. Scoring points doesn't mean ****.

So because he scores (and does a lot more than that you forget to mention) and supports his team, that makes him not the best player? I'm not disagreeing with anyone that says he's not the best, but he's made some kind of argument by beating two teams that have arguably the best two players in the world with Kobe and LeBron, and he did a fantastic job against both of them defensively while still helping his team with the scoring we are used to seeing and his overall completely improved offensive game, because now he DOES make his teammates better, see Rondo and Perk. While you can argue KG had that affect, I don't think Rondo and Perk would even be presentable in the starting line-up without PP as well.

jeremyd236 wrote:And nobody in the current NBA should ever be compared to MJ. Michael Jordan would not have lost against the Celtics, no chance in hell. He was absolutely dominant come playoff/Finals time. He sure as hell wouldn't lose with Phil Jackson as his coach and Odom/Gasol. Odom/Gasol alone are better than any two players he ever had on his team at once.

What? Rodman/Pippen>Odom/Gasol ANYDAY.
dunhill
Junior

Post#36 » by dunhill » Wed Aug 6, 2008 4:49 am

How quickly everyone forgets how far Peirce took some horrible Celtics teams. Antoine Walker was the second banana on most of those teams. What's Kobe done with no talent around him? Same as Peirce - sweet FA.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#37 » by WRau1 » Wed Aug 6, 2008 4:55 am

It's so funny watching the same fans that were calling for Pierce to be traded the last 3-4 off seasons, are now all over his knob. I don't really know of any top tier talents that allow there team to finish with the worst record in the League...
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
BlueJeep
Junior

Post#38 » by BlueJeep » Wed Aug 6, 2008 4:59 am

weezybaby856 wrote:
jerrod wrote:

U my friend are obviously a souljah boy fan and do the superman dance and get silly in ur bedroom alone wayyyy to often to make a crack at me like that my friend..

and for the record, Lil Waynes last THREE albums speak for themselves and he is the BEST in the music industry, so maybe u should quit gettin silly and open ur ears

since jerrod is not here to defend himself, i will admit for him that he is a huge fan of soljah boy and he does do the dance religiously b4 bed every night, thats probly why he doesnt have time to answer this back :D

but back the topic at hand, PIERCE IS THE WORST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE!!!!, i would never ever have that guy on my team, ever

Buck the World

jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#39 » by jeremyd236 » Wed Aug 6, 2008 5:16 am

bosFcelts wrote:
jeremyd236 wrote:Just because Pierce looks good on TV hitting those jump shots and jumping up and down yelling and **** doesn't mean he's the best player in the world, or that he's even close. Winning and making your teammates better are what make you the best player. Scoring points doesn't mean ****.

So because he scores (and does a lot more than that you forget to mention) and supports his team, that makes him not the best player? I'm not disagreeing with anyone that says he's not the best, but he's made some kind of argument by beating two teams that have arguably the best two players in the world with Kobe and LeBron, and he did a fantastic job against both of them defensively while still helping his team with the scoring we are used to seeing and his overall completely improved offensive game, because now he DOES make his teammates better, see Rondo and Perk. While you can argue KG had that affect, I don't think Rondo and Perk would even be presentable in the starting line-up without PP as well.

jeremyd236 wrote:And nobody in the current NBA should ever be compared to MJ. Michael Jordan would not have lost against the Celtics, no chance in hell. He was absolutely dominant come playoff/Finals time. He sure as hell wouldn't lose with Phil Jackson as his coach and Odom/Gasol. Odom/Gasol alone are better than any two players he ever had on his team at once.

What? Rodman/Pippen>Odom/Gasol ANYDAY.

No, I'm not saying that because he scores and supports his team he is not the best player. I'm saying those things and the hype he got for those 2 weeks DON'T make him the best player. There's a difference.

Rodman/Pippen vs Odom/Gasol is very comparable. I think Pippen and Odom have very similar games, but I guess you've got to say that Pippen is better. Obviously, Rodman rebounded and defended like no other. Gasol is a far better scorer and passer, that's not debatable either. He's also not a **** off the court.

Of course, Pippen played along side MJ for the majority of his (good) career so it's hard to judge who is better as an individual. MJ made players look great.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#40 » by emunney » Wed Aug 6, 2008 6:17 am

Pippen was better than Odom by a wider margin than Kobe is better than Pierce, and probably wider than the margin that separates Jordan and Kobe. I'd also take Rodman over either Odom or Gasol. Tough to put a value on a guy who gets 1 out of every 4 total rebounds along with God-knows-how-many loose balls and the ability to guard pretty much anybody. Lots of reasons that second Bulls 3-peat won over 200 regular season games in 3 years.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts

Return to Milwaukee Bucks