ImageImage

CV's Prospects Under Skiles

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,533

CV's Prospects Under Skiles 

Post#1 » by raferfenix » Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:29 am

With training camp coming closer and the chances of a trade declining, I thought it would be a good time to discuss Villaneuva's propsects for success this coming season if we do not end up trading him. Besides, we've talked about every tiny tidbit regarding Mo Williams, but for the most part it seems like CV has gotten a free pass despite CV being arguabley even further away from a Skiles kind of player.

CV is in a contract year though, somehting which certainly shouldn't be ignored. If he has a great year it can make him huge money, but on the flipside if he fights iwth Skiles and gets benched he's screwed. He'd have a real tough time with character issues if he demands a trade as well, especially consdiering he'll never have more of an opportunity to earn big minutes than here. Could this dynamic make him drastically increase his effort and concentration, maybe even long term, since he literraly may not be able to afford to not do everything skiles wants of him?

My biggest worry about even getting my hopes up for anything but a disaster at PF this year (assuming no move is made) is that the last thing our team needs right now is a one dimensional scorer. Even if we end up trading Mo that is far from our greatest need, but that probably is all CV can give us. Would Skiles be OK with only that from his PF, and even if he is would we remotely consider committing to him in that scenario?
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,527

Re: CV's Prospects Under Skiles 

Post#2 » by th87 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 7:50 am

Maybe this will motivate him to beef up, attack the paint, and play gritty defense.

A man can dream, right?
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#3 » by Jollay » Thu Aug 7, 2008 11:57 am

Last I checked the guy can average 8rpg in addition to his scoring--that's something at least.

So he gets 30mpg this year and its obvious this is a pivotal career year for him.

I never understood why people wanted to trade him; especially since he's only 23 and he's the only PF we have really worth 20mpg. Now that Yi is gone.

Why not see if Skiles/contract year motivates him?

At least we'll know for sure by midseason if the guy is worth keeping. I have not formulated an ironclad negative opinion of CV like 75 perecnt of the people here, yet, though.

Yes he doesn't get dirty enough and he's not the banger we need. But its not like we're acquiring Elton Brand for him and Mo or some other 1st tier PF....

And Who exactly is at the 4 in the east that has CV's offensive skills AND can bang like a champ down low? Not quite sure...
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#4 » by aboveAverage » Fri Aug 8, 2008 1:02 am

CV will be very good on offense all year, but will continue to slump defensively. His offensive numbers will grant him a decent contract.
BDUB_30
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by BDUB_30 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:15 am

Yeah ive made some pretty harsh critisims of CV ...but i can see where people are coming from.

Imagine if he lives up to that potential , plays within the system . Their is no doubt about it , he can stretch the defense out . I would love for him to really put all of his energy into defense / rebounding ...and then just take offensive opportunitys as they come . Cv creating for himself unless its by design makes me cringe ...

He is without a doubt an "X" factor , we dont know what were getting from him and it can be on either side of the spectrum .. If he is a buck and he shows some dedication and plays within the system , that will be HUGE for the bucks .

I dont know , call me unrealistic ..but i will maintain this untill the end , this bucks team is very talented ...
aaprigs311
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#6 » by aaprigs311 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:18 am

CV plays with no fire or passion. He could be such a talent and an asset. I'd be amazed if Skiles balanced out his game, and I'm doubtful. He'll never be the type of player any of us want him to be. He's Al Harrington without eyebrows.
BDUB_30
Banned User

Post#7 » by BDUB_30 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:28 am

Rafer , sorry to answer one of your questions more specificaly ..

i dont think skiles will be ok with anything short of giving all out effort on the glass and defensivly.. now thats not to say that skiles will pull cv when he gets beat ... but i think it will be looked at as to WHY cv gets beat ..If hes not intense , not moving his feet , not giving effort .. he will be yanked ..

Thats just my opionon on that , im not exactally sure how skiles will approach that ..but he does have an option on allen to replace CV ..and i dont think that Skiles is going to let guys not give effort .. I think in the end thats all this staff is going to be asking for ..Play intense , give effort , pass the ball ...If you look at this roster , their is an effort player ready to come in at ALL positions .. I think that was done by design ..If you dog it ,you will be yanked ...Their is no doubt thats why lue is here , if mo wants to be a baby and dog it , he will be yanked ..Same with CV , if hes not going to give that effort allen will play ..

I think it will be a situation kind of similar to Karl but possibly even more intense. Karl would pull any of the big 3 for dogging it , but he wouldnt really stay commited to that form of dicipline .. Karl mixed a healty dose of pulling your PT and then dogging you in the media if you didnt give effort .. I think skiles will just pull your ass and just let it be , and if you continue to play like that i dont think youll get back out there for awhile ...

I honestly think were going to see the best of what our players can offer .. they dont have a choice , its either play hard , play smart ... Or sit the bench and watch the vets do it ...Anyone on this roster thats not willing to conform is going to be very unhappy in milwaukee .. As for CV , he really doesnt have a choice .. AS its not just his pt thats getting pulled it will be his $$$$ .. If he was smart he would be getting ready to play serious basketball from day one ..
PaBuck
Sophomore

Post#8 » by PaBuck » Fri Aug 8, 2008 1:49 pm

Skiles has CV where he wants him with the contract year looming on the horizon. I was really hoping CV would not be traded because we can get a take on him this season. Skiles will get him to play into his system or he will ride the bench. Anyway, reallly wanted to see CV for a season under a coach that potentially could do something with him. Either a better player will emerge or we can be done with him.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#9 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Aug 8, 2008 1:57 pm

CV will top Yi in points, rebounds, and assists this year. If Skiles can get him to defend similarly to Yi, that trade will be hilarious in hindsight.
aaprigs311
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#10 » by aaprigs311 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 5:37 pm

Yi played defense? I could back the guy down for christs sake. He had a few nice blocks, but he got exposed more often than not.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks