ImageImage

OT: Madden on Tuesday

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

OT: Madden on Tuesday 

Post#1 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:34 pm

Looking for some input here. I'm not deep into football, but enjoy watching games whenever I happen to catch them. I saw that the latest Madden game is coming out next week, and I played the demo a couple times. Seems cool. But is it $40 cooler than last year's Madden?

I can buy last year's for around $20-25 on ebay, or the new one for $60 when it comes out. To those of you who know this game, were there any big improvements made? How much roster turnover has there been in the NFL - is it something I can manually update within an hour?

Who's getting the new game?
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Re: OT: Madden on Tuesday 

Post#2 » by jeremyd236 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:43 pm

Why would you buy last year's game? You can't manually update the roster like you can for 2k games. You can't change all the players' attributes.

This year's game looks like the best Madden ever on current gen systems, I think it'd be a huge mistake not to buy it.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#3 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:51 pm

jeremyd236 wrote:Why would you buy last year's game? You can't manually update the roster like you can for 2k games. You can't change all the players' attributes.
Can you make trades in the game to reflect real life trades?
This year's game looks like the best Madden ever on current gen systems, I think it'd be a huge mistake not to buy it.

What's new/different this year?
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#4 » by jerrod » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:57 pm

adamcz wrote:What's new/different this year?

the big thing is supposed to be the inclusion of online leagues. supreme and i are both waiting for that
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,223

Post#5 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 7, 2008 5:00 pm

Online leagues would be great.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#6 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Aug 7, 2008 5:08 pm

jerrod wrote:
adamcz wrote:What's new/different this year?

the big thing is supposed to be the inclusion of online leagues. supreme and i are both waiting for that

Sweet let me know if you get one going. We can draft a team and play two games before everyone quits, and starts ignoring your attempts to set up game 3. :D
jerrod
RealGM
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#7 » by jerrod » Thu Aug 7, 2008 5:22 pm

adamcz wrote:Sweet let me know if you get one going. We can draft a team and play two games before everyone quits, and starts ignoring your attempts to set up game 3. :D

:D i guess people are just in it for the drafts

which could be really cool, beacause i think that fall live update said something about having the ability to chat with a bunch of people at one time so maybe we can have a draft chat. an nfl draft would take a lot longer than an nba draft

MickeyDavis wrote:Online leagues would be great.

you should play with us, supreme's horrible so you can count that as a win already :D
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#8 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Aug 7, 2008 5:24 pm

And if I play, everyone gets to count on a win.
yuedar
Rookie
And1: 58

Post#9 » by yuedar » Thu Aug 7, 2008 5:41 pm

it all depends on what you want to do.

If you want to play online you HAVE to have this years version.
If you want updated rosters you better decide real quick to get last years version and download a roster update so atleast you have a semi updated roster.

If you are playing franchise get this years version. Hopefully they fixed the bugs out of last years franchise. In franchise mode teams would run out of kickers and punters and there wouldn't be enough in the league and the game would get stuck you couldn't sim past games because of it. It was very frustrating. Far as I know it was the first year ever to do that atleast since ive been playing since 2001.

This years game their biggest feature is a adaptable play style by the computer that will play to your skill level and adapt to how you play. If it holds true to what it claims to be it sounds like it will be worth buying into.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#10 » by Badgerlander » Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:04 pm

If you play fantasy football on EA sports site you can do your draft on Madden and it will break down the players during the draft and put them on your team etc.
ACGB
RealGM
And1: 2,709

Post#11 » by ACGB » Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:07 pm

I've already played it so here is what I thought of the gameplay.
The interface seems different this year, the play selector is blue and pretty arcade-ish compared to previous editions.
The graphics are better than ever.
On the 360 version if you hold LB you finally have 4 different icon options for the different plays instead of having to scroll around.
Seems more realistic, LB's no longer can jump 14 feet in the air while turning around and stopping on a dime in under 1 second to pick passes off.
However the QB's are still pretty unrealistic as I was able to instantly turn around and throw a bullet 20 yards down field while scrambling straight back with David Gerrard.

It's still a solid game though, I'd buy it for the online leagues but also for them finally giving you icons on plays.

Hope that helps.(Oh yeah, and the packers have a real nice ranking too for when you play with them in online ranked matches :wink: )
jerrod
RealGM

Post#12 » by jerrod » Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:09 pm

adam,

there is a demo you can download on xbox live
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#13 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:14 pm

Yeah I've played the demo, but I wouldn't know what in the demo is new and different. It seems cool, and I've got no problem buying it. Just wanted to post here first in case there was virtually nothing new, and you guys could warn me.
jerrod
RealGM

Post#14 » by jerrod » Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:36 pm

adamcz wrote:Yeah I've played the demo, but I wouldn't know what in the demo is new and different. It seems cool, and I've got no problem buying it. Just wanted to post here first in case there was virtually nothing new, and you guys could warn me.

it just occurred to me that the first line of the thread mentioned the demo :banghead:
RideEmCowboy24
Analyst
And1: 29

Post#15 » by RideEmCowboy24 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 3:26 am

anybody have the rosters by any chance? i wanna see if Nick Hayden from Arrowhead is in the game...he's on the Panthers roster still...just wanna see if he'd be in the game or not....it would be cool playing as someone i've actually met
RideEmCowboy24
Analyst
And1: 29

Post#16 » by RideEmCowboy24 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 3:31 am

nevermind....apparently he is...and he's a 72! there's like six guys on the team that are worse...sweet
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#17 » by jeremyd236 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:34 am

Any experienced Madden players want to play against me, gamertag jeremydadler
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#18 » by WRau1 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:52 am

I got an early copy of Madden 09 tonight (on x360) and it's pretty amazing. I've played three games into my fantasy drafted season and haven't seen the same tackle animation twice. Graphics are amazing. The only thing that I have beef with so far is that the being able to call new plays on the fly is a little bit cheating. If you have a fast QB (I still always draft S.Wallace) and a fast WR, you can direct him to any point on the field and complete passes. Overall its a great addition to what I feel has been a pretty poor series the past two years.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#19 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Aug 8, 2008 2:15 pm

So I definitely want to play in a draft league if someone sets one up. I won't have any idea what positions to prioritize, and I'm horrible at seeing the field when I'm QBing, so I will lose... But the demo is fun. I won't be back in NJ until late on the 19th though, so hopefully the draft could wait until after that.
jerrod
RealGM

Post#20 » by jerrod » Fri Aug 8, 2008 2:48 pm

i played a game of 08 last night against bluejeep and it only took me about a quarter to get back into my rhythm of throwing interceptions for touchdowns.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks