The Official Ramon Sessions Is The Future Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Re: The Official Ramon Sessions Is The Future Thread 

Post#121 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:40 pm

Ragging, criticizing, whatever you want to call it, he has played NINE games this season under a new coach, often on the court with another PG. I'll wait beyond 9 games before determining what kind of player he is.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#122 » by paul » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:41 pm

europa wrote:But like I said before, if we're debating whether he's closer to Parker or Strickland I think the bottom line here is the Bucks have themselves a player and potentially a pretty damn good one. :)

Agreed. I know this is a thread on Ramon but I would also add that with him, Bogut, Luc, JA and to a lesser extent CV the young talent on this team was grossly undervalued before the season. I don't imagine any 'we have the worst young talent on any team in the league' comments will be re-appearing for a little while.

I've mentioned a couple of times now that I do worry a little bit about Ramon playing too much 2 guard, I just don't want him to get the 'must score' mentality ingrained in his mind. That being said he's playing terrific basketball right now and without doubt has excellent PG instincts whilst still being able to get to the rack almost at will. I'd like to give him some props on what I see as a solid defensive improvement from last season so far too, he's no glove but it's certainly getting better imo.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#123 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:42 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I'll wait beyond 9 games before determining what kind of player he is.

I don't know.....I only needed five summer league games to come to conclusions on Potsie.....

But if we are talking those 9 games this year, then I'd point to the 10 games last year where Ramon averaged 11 assists per game.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#124 » by Newz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:44 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Ragging, criticizing, whatever you want to call it, he has played NINE games this season under a new coach, often on the court with another PG. I'll wait beyond 9 games before determining what kind of player he is.

Tony Parker is a top 5 point guard in the NBA when healthy and has won multiple championships.

I'm sorry for ripping on Ramon Sessions by comparing him to one of the best players in the NBA... I guess? Maybe you'll learn to read and realize I am praising him rather than trying to say he is a bad player.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#125 » by europa » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:45 pm

LukePliska wrote:I didn't say he he should average 10 assist per game, I said he hasn't had a 10+ assist game yet this year.

But MD and I are simply wondering why you picked that specific number to use to refute the idea that he will be a PG who posts high assist totals. Why didn't you pick 8. Maybe it was because he's done that three times? :) It just struck me - and perhaps MD as well since he also noticed it - that you picked 10 rather arbitrarily.

I think we'd all agree Steve Nash posts high assist totals, correct? Do you know how many times he's topped 10 assists in a game this season? Twice. Like I said, that's rarified air in the NBA these days so I'm not sure why you picked that number to use as evidence that, in your opinion, Sessions isn't going to average high assist numbers.

That's all I'm saying. :)
Nothing will not break me.
Newz
Banned User

Post#126 » by Newz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:48 pm

europa wrote:
LukePliska wrote:I didn't say he he should average 10 assist per game, I said he hasn't had a 10+ assist game yet this year.

But MD and I are simply wondering why you picked that specific number to use to refute the idea that he will be a PG who posts high assist totals. Why didn't you pick 8. Maybe it was because he's done that three times? :) It just struck me - and perhaps MD as well since he also noticed it - that you picked 10 rather arbitrarily.

I think we'd all agree Steve Nash posts high assist totals, correct? Do you know how many times he's topped 10 assists in a game this season? Twice. Like I said, that's rarified air in the NBA these days so I'm not sure why you picked that number to use as evidence that, in your opinion, Sessions isn't going to average high assist numbers.

That's all I'm saying. :)

Why didn't you wonder why I picked 20 points or 15 shots attempted? Maybe I should have picked 15 points and 10 shots attempted, that way I could try and make him out to be a total ball hog.

Sorry for disagreeing with you guys about the type of player Sessions is. I now know that comparing a player to Tony Parker is the worst possible thing that you can do to a young point guard.
europa
RealGM

Post#127 » by europa » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:49 pm

paul wrote:
europa wrote:But like I said before, if we're debating whether he's closer to Parker or Strickland I think the bottom line here is the Bucks have themselves a player and potentially a pretty damn good one. :)

Agreed. I know this is a thread on Ramon but I would also add that with him, Bogut, Luc, JA and to a lesser extent CV the young talent on this team was grossly undervalued before the season. I don't imagine any 'we have the worst young talent on any team in the league' comments will be re-appearing for a little while.

I've mentioned a couple of times now that I do worry a little bit about Ramon playing too much 2 guard, I just don't want him to get the 'must score' mentality ingrained in his mind. That being said he's playing terrific basketball right now and without doubt has excellent PG instincts whilst still being able to get to the rack almost at will. I'd like to give him some props on what I see as a solid defensive improvement from last season so far too, he's no glove but it's certainly getting better imo.

Again, though, I go back to Skiles. I don't think Skiles will allow any player on the team to undermine the team's potential for success. He has already benched all five former starters at one point or another this season. Think about that. He's sent strong statements to this team that you play his way or you sit. If Sessions starts jacking up stupid shots time and time again, he'll sit.

I think one of the last things we have to worry about with this team is any player being allowed to consistently hamper this team's potential for success. Stotts and Krystkowiak are gone. The inmates aren't running the asylum anymore. There's a new sheriff in town and his name is Reggie Ha ...

I mean Scott Skiles.
paul
RealGM

Post#128 » by paul » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:49 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I'll wait beyond 9 games before determining what kind of player he is.

I don't know.....I only needed five summer league games to come to conclusions on Potsie.....

He he, eating a little crow there PP? :)

Oh and I think it was only 2 or 3 where he was active......
europa
RealGM

Post#129 » by europa » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:51 pm

LukePliska wrote:Sorry for disagreeing with you guys about the type of player Sessions is. I now know that comparing a player to Tony Parker is the worst possible thing that you can do to a young point guard.

Luke, please go back and read the two posts where I clearly stated that if we're debating whether Sessions is more like Tony Parker or Rod Strickland that ultimately it's a very good thing no matter which side of the debate you're on. This means the Bucks have themselves a player. I'm not trying to hammer at you. I just found the 10-assist number to be curious and I don't agree with the Parker comparison. That doesn't mean I think you're stupid (I certainly don't) and it doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion because I definitely do. I just think his game is closer to someone like Strickland than it is to Parker.

Bottom line - it's all good. Seriously. :)
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#130 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:51 pm

paul wrote:He he, eating a little crow there PP? :)..

I'm only eating the wing right now since Brook Lopez has looked like a much better prospect in both summer league and now in the regular season. But I'm more than happy to cook the whole bird up if Alexander ever becomes a player.... 8-)
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#131 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:51 pm

I always find it interesting that fans (of all teams) are so quick to label players. Hell, I think it should take a couple of SEASONS to really determine what kind of player Sessions will be.
paul
RealGM

Post#132 » by paul » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:54 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
paul wrote:He he, eating a little crow there PP? :)..

I'm only eating the wing right now since Brook Lopez has looked like a much better prospect in both summer league and now in the regular season. But I'm more than happy to cook the whole bird up if Alexander ever becomes a player.... 8-)

I'll bring the ketchup..... :)
Newz
Banned User

Post#133 » by Newz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:58 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I always find it interesting that fans (of all teams) are so quick to label players. Hell, I think it should take a couple of SEASONS to really determine what kind of player Sessions will be.

You're right Mickey... Why, on a message board about basketball, discuss player comparisons and project how you think a young player will turn out? Why in a thread about Ramon Sessions should I offer my opinion of what type of player he will turn into?

I agree with Europa though. I could care less if he average 50 assists or 5, as long as he is a good player. I was offering my opinion on a player who I think Sessions has a lot in common with and for some reason a few people thought I was 'ragging' on him for comparing him to a top 5 player at his position in the NBA.
paul
RealGM

Post#134 » by paul » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:58 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I always find it interesting that fans (of all teams) are so quick to label players. Hell, I think it should take a couple of SEASONS to really determine what kind of player Sessions will be.

I agree completely, which is why I felt so strongly when people were labelling JA a guaranteed bust and Sessions a junktime wonder (oh and it will happen again when either of them struggle). Many of us seek instant gratification around here, but the truth is we might still not know how good either of those guys can be two seasons from now. Patience sucks, but sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze 8-) .
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#135 » by xTitan » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:00 pm

I think what you are all forgetting is that Sessions currently is often playing the 2 guard when he is teamed with Ridnour. This team is really offensively challenged at times right now, no real consistent scorer so they are asking Sessions to be more of a scorer. What Skiles appears to be demanding is that guys attack the basket and it appears Sesseions and RJ are the 2 best at that right now.
Newz
Banned User

Post#136 » by Newz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:09 pm

europa wrote:I just found the 10-assist number to be curious and I don't agree with the Parker comparison. That doesn't mean I think you're stupid (I certainly don't) and it doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion because I definitely do. I just think his game is closer to someone like Strickland than it is to Parker.

I picked 10 assists before even looking at his stats. If I asked someone to give me a number to describe a guy who had a good assist game, I would think they would say ten. Why? Because when someone gets into double digit assists it is pretty impressive.

I picked 20 points for the same reason, because having a 20 point game is also a number that when you say someone is a 20 point per game scorer, then that is very impressive. I find it odd you only questioned the assist part.

Why didn't you question why I chose 20 points instead of 17 or 18?

I understand and respect you do not agree with the Parker comparison... And likewise I hope you understand I disagree with the Strickland comparison. The good thing is that we both think he'll become a very good player on the NBA level.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#137 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:14 pm

I don't care if people want to judge players based on a very small amount of games. Certainly it's their right. It's also my right to dismiss those judgments as premature.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#138 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:16 pm

LukePliska wrote:
europa wrote:I just found the 10-assist number to be curious and I don't agree with the Parker comparison. That doesn't mean I think you're stupid (I certainly don't) and it doesn't mean I don't respect your opinion because I definitely do. I just think his game is closer to someone like Strickland than it is to Parker.

I picked 20 points for the same reason, because having a 20 point game is also a number that when you say someone is a 20 point per game scorer, then that is very impressive. I find it odd you only questioned the assist part.

Why didn't you question why I chose 20 points instead of 17 or 18?

There are 26 players who are averaging more than 20 points a game. There is one player averaging 10 assists. I understand why you chose round numbers, most of us would have done the same. It's just that the 10 assist number makes less sense than the 20 point number.
Newz
Banned User

Post#139 » by Newz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:20 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I don't care if people want to judge players based on a very small amount of games. Certainly it's their right. It's also my right to dismiss those judgments as premature.

That's fine if you don't care who I compare him too. But to say I'm "ragging" on him because I compared him to Tony Parker is just absurd in him opinion.

It's like if I said Mbah a Moute's game reminds me of Shawn Marions and then someone comes and says that I am ripping on him.

That just didn't make any sense to me at all, since I don't think I've said a bad thing about Sessions this entire time....

I DEMAND AN APOLOGY! :wink:
Newz
Banned User

Post#140 » by Newz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:21 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:There are 26 players who are averaging more than 20 points a game. There is one player averaging 10 assists. I understand why you chose round numbers, most of us would have done the same. It's just that the 10 assist number makes less sense than the 20 point number.

That is a valid point and like you said... Most people would have picked 10 just because it would be the first number that popped into their head. Just like I picked 20 and 15.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks