ImageImage

Theo Ratliff

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

FutureBuck2008
Sophomore
And1: 0

Theo Ratliff 

Post#1 » by FutureBuck2008 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:15 pm

This would be a logical signing for the Bucks.....because he still can defend and block shots and at least he would be an effective backup. Then swing a deal for Kwame Brown, Sean Williams, Anthony Randolph, Brandan Wright, Tyrus Thomas, etc.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,606

Re: Theo Ratliff 

Post#2 » by Balls2TheWalls » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:17 pm

There is no money left.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#3 » by trwi7 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:20 pm

Balls2TheWalls wrote:There is no money left.

Ratliff blows anyways so even if we did have money I don't know why we'd spend it on him.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,606

Post#4 » by Balls2TheWalls » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:23 pm

We should spend all remaining money taking all new players out to Art's.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#5 » by trwi7 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:25 pm

Balls2TheWalls wrote:We should spend all remaining money taking all new players out to Art's.

MD is great friends with the dancers. He could get the players in for free. Especially now that they know they don't have to worry about Bobby Simmons anymore.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#6 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:34 pm

Tuesdays you get a free shot of Penicillin with every lap dance.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#7 » by jerrod » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:38 pm

trwi7 wrote:

Ratliff blows anyways so even if we did have money I don't know why we'd spend it on him.

it's all bout fit twirly, all about fit
trwi7
RealGM

Post#8 » by trwi7 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:49 pm

jerrod wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

it's all bout fit twirly, all about fit

Well then all I need to do is find a car trunk that fits Hammond's daughter and he needs to find a rabbit that fits in a hat to pull off a heist of a trade (I'm talking something like the Gasol trade) and we'll be even. We're happy Bucks fans and he gets his daughter back. :D

If he doesn't do that then I take his daughter to a tropical island where we fix up an old shack, turn it into a restaurant named Twirl & Girl (Because I don't remember her name) and then constantly harass Hammond with brilliant prank calls like:

Us: Is your refrigerator running?
Him: Yes.
Us: Well then, you better go catch it!

Hilarity ensues.

tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#9 » by tedbrogen » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:28 am

Bucks are only $750,000 under the luxury tax threshold (thanks to the Mo trade saving them a little over a $1M this season!), and they already have 15 players under contract and that is the roster limit. Unless they make another trade where they take back less players, the Bucks won't be signing anyone else this offseason.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#10 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:01 am

Sure there is.

I haven't found out which exceptions were used on Allen and Elson, but we either used the BAE on one and a partial MLE on the other, or we used part of the MLE for both. So we either have part of the MLE or the BAE remaining. Likely the BAE.

Not only that, but you are never out of money to sign guys like Ratliff, as long as your owner has the ability to finance his payroll somehow. There is no limit to the number of minimum salary exceptions you can use.

It has less to do with having money to sign a player like Ratliff than it does with having the desire to sign a player like Ratliff. I don't know why at this point we'd have the desire to sign Ratliff. I'd rather Senator Kohl hold onto that money and earmark it for future spending.

tedbrogen wrote:Bucks are only $750,000 under the luxury tax threshold (thanks to the Mo trade saving them a little over a $1M this season!), and they already have 15 players under contract and that is the roster limit. Unless they make another trade where they take back less players, the Bucks won't be signing anyone else this offseason.

The Mo trade saved the Bucks ~$2.79 mil this season, not just a little over $1 mil

As for the lux tax threshold, I haven't seen Elson's exact salary data data yet. He's probably going to get $1.4 mil but let's just list him at $1.5 mil just in case.
At that point we'd be at ~$69.6 mil
The lux tax threshold is $71.15 mil this season.

However, Adrian Griffin's $1.711 mil salary is NG'd, so we can just waive him and subtract that amount if we wish. I personally expect us to do just that.

I do basically agree with you that the Bucks won't be signing anyone else this offseason.
However, they technically will almost certainly sign a couple players to NG'd contracts (of the summer contract variety) to bring in for training camp. People here will get excited about them, have a multi-page thread about them, talk about how they could really help the team, and then we'll waive those players prior to the regular season :)
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
benultimate
Bench Warmer
And1: 856

Post#11 » by benultimate » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:01 pm

FutureBuck2008 wrote:This would be a logical signing for the Bucks.....because he still can defend and block shots and at least he would be an effective backup. Then swing a deal for Kwame Brown, Sean Williams, Anthony Randolph, Brandan Wright, Tyrus Thomas, etc.

Wouldn't it be nice to go back in time and take Randolph, who could provide a backup defensive presense at SF and PF, as well as having all-star potential.

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:I do basically agree with you that the Bucks won't be signing anyone else this offseason.
However, they technically will almost certainly sign a couple players to NG'd contracts (of the summer contract variety) to bring in for training camp. People here will get excited about them, have a multi-page thread about them, talk about how they could really help the team, and then we'll waive those players prior to the regular season :)

Samaki Walker!!!! Could mentor Joe Alexander ala last years first round pick!!
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#12 » by tedbrogen » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:30 am

Hoopshype currently has the Bucks at $68,102,429 in salary, after the Mo trade but without accounting for Elson or Prince Luc. Assuming Elson is $1.5M and Prince Luc is $700K (based on what Sessions made last season as an early second round pick), that another $2.2M on top, putting them at $70,302,429. (Griffin is counted in this number, not sure if he should be or not)

Luxury Tax threshold, which I doubt Kohl will allow them to cross is (as mentioned previously) $71,150,000. That puts them $847,571 under the cap. (If I am wrong someone please inform me)

I was unaware that Griffin wasn't guaranteed, and I don't know how that works with the lux tax and when they penalize for luxury tax. Is it at the beginning of the season when the rosters are finalized, so nonguaranteed guys have already been released or made the team? Is it penalized if you at any point cross the threshold?
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#13 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:01 am

tedbrogen wrote:Hoopshype

Well, that explains the confusion.

Hoopshype's salary pages are notoriously unreliable and have way too much inaccurate information.
Hoopshype has a great thing going for them with their "Rumors" page and many people even in NBA circles use that page as a good clearinghouse for NBA info, but never use them for salary info.

tedbrogen wrote:$71,150,000. That puts them $847,571 under the cap. (If I am wrong someone please inform me)

I already did. See my prior post.

Also, the term "cap" is really supposed to be used when referring to the salary cap, not the luxury tax threshold. I knew what you were talking about, but it's always best to use the appropriate terms, especially for someone like yourself who seems interested in getting a stronger grasp of these matters than your average fan has. The more people we have like you taking an interest, the better off we are, generally.

tedbrogen wrote:I was unaware that Griffin wasn't guaranteed, and I don't know how that works with the lux tax and when they penalize for luxury tax. Is it at the beginning of the season when the rosters are finalized, so nonguaranteed guys have already been released or made the team? Is it penalized if you at any point cross the threshold?

No, the figure used for lux tax calculation is a snapshot based on the last day of the regular season. When you assign contracts to other teams via trade, they won't count at all for lux tax purposes. When you waive someone, the portion already earned plus any remaining portion that is guaranteed DOES count.
97-98

Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,

I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#14 » by Buck You » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:24 pm

FutureBuck2008 wrote:This would be a logical signing for the Bucks.....because he still can defend and block shots and at least he would be an effective backup. Then swing a deal for Kwame Brown, Sean Williams, Anthony Randolph, Brandan Wright, Tyrus Thomas, etc.

That list makes no sense. Why would we trade for Kwame when we could have signed him? The Nets wouldn't trade Sean Williams, there is no way on god's green earth that the Warriors trade their lottery picks from the past two years and the Bulls aren't trading Thomas either. Are you a NBA Live fan Futurebuck?
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#15 » by tedbrogen » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:40 pm

Dan, doess your $69.6M total salary figure include Prince Luc? I noticed the difference between the figure I posted as total salary and your total is right at $700k which was the amount I estimated Prince Luc was getting. Also, I thought his contract was guaranteed (at least for this season), is that correct?

Is anyone else nonguaranteed other than Griffin?

Also, I was using luxury tax threshold term because I know the Bucks are already well over the actual salary cap so I thought it pointless to talk about the cap. I was just trying to point out that I highly doubt Kohl ever wants to pay the luxury tax.

Thanks for the explanation on the snapshot at the end of the season, that is quite helpful. (I figured it would be a snapshot at the beginning of the season, but then I guess a team could wait until the second day of the season to make a trade that would push them over the threshold and would avoid paying it, so that makes far more sense).
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#16 » by emunney » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:52 pm

benultimate wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice to go back in time and take Randolph, who could provide a backup defensive presense at SF and PF, as well as having all-star potential.

Randolph is a defensive presence only in the literal sense... he doesn't wander completely off the court while playing defense. But mentally, who knows where he is. He's a bad defender, and I don't know how anybody could expect him to stay in front of SFs or keep his skeleton intact against PFs.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#17 » by tedbrogen » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:57 pm

Ironically, CV does wander completely off the court while playing defense.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks