ImageImage

Garry Howard emerges from deep slumber to weigh in

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Garry Howard emerges from deep slumber to weigh in 

Post#1 » by Captain Erv » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:58 pm

Not sure if this has been posted in any other thread, but for a sports editor he doesn't seem to have a good grasp of things:

Hammond, Bucks making the right moves
Posted: Aug. 14, 2008

No.

Luke Ridnour is not as good a basketball player as Mo Williams. And Damon Jones can’t even dribble.

Still, this is a very good move.

Wait a minute, G., you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth!

What I mean is the point guard position on the Milwaukee Bucks has been upgraded because of one simple fact:

Williams and Michael Redd just did not work. At all. We're talking about no chemistry whatsoever, no conversation on the court, and they barely even passed the rock to each other.

So what should we make of John Hammond's latest restructuring project?

Smile and be happy, folks, smile and be happy.

If you're scoring at home, that makes 11 new bodies at 4th and State, including Hammond, the Bucks' not-so-new GM, and Scott Skiles, the team's latest savior at the head coaching position.

In order, Hammond has added Richard Jefferson (A+); Joe Alexander (B); Luc Richard Mbah a Moute (C-); Tyronn Lue (C+); Malik Allen (C+); Luke Ridnour (B-); Damon Jones (C-); Adrian Griffin (D+) and Francisco Elson (C-).

Gone are Williams, Yi Jianlian, Bobby Simmons, Desmond Mason and Royal Ivey.

Add it all up and you get . . .

Cap room and a playoff berth.

At least, we know they now have cap room after jettisoning the remainder of Williams' contract, which was valued at $43 million over the next five years.

With a starting lineup that should look like Ridnour (PG), Redd (SG), Jefferson (SF), Charlie Villanueva (PF) and Andrew Bogut (C), the Bucks will have an infinitely better roster. And now that the team has a coach who can actually lead on this level, the future is vastly improved.

And that means Hammond is doing his thing, one piece at a time.

After suffering through four torturous seasons, the Bucks have righted their ship and fans can now see a product that is worthy of the tickets they have been purchasing.

When you put two players with the scoring abilities of Redd and Jefferson on the floor at the same time, you need a point guard with a certifiable passer's mentality and Ridnour has proven, at least when he was a starter in Seattle, that he can dish the rock and run a team. After all, he had Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis on the wings with the Sonics.

Williams is a hybrid guard and he should work well for the Cleveland Cavaliers, who have put the basketball squarely in the hands of their franchise player, LeBron James. Mo can shoot and he can run, but directing an NBA team from the point guard position takes vision, and he has yet to prove that he has that on this level, although his numbers are more than respectable in comparison to other starting point guards in the NBA.

Redd and Jefferson will both average more than 22 points per game this year, and the point guard will have the "chore" of dishing the ball in an orderly fashion. Skiles likes to run, but he also insists that his team play defense (that should be fun), and that type of philosophy takes thinkers on the court, not players who just react instinctively.

Ridnour, Lue and, I guess, Jones (although Ramon Sessions will be squarely in this mix), should be able to handle this task, and all three can really hit an open jumper, which should be more readily available with Jefferson joining Redd, Villanueva (break-out year) and Bogut in the lineup.

A perfect point guard would be Chris Paul (love this kid!), but the Bucks drafted the 7-foot Bogut with their No. 1 pick instead of Paul - rightfully so - and that has worked out rather lovely.

Sans Paul or a Leandro Barbosa, the trio of Ridnour, Lue and Jones will just have to make it work at the point . . . even though Hammond may not be finished.

But for now, the 11 new faces at 4th and State will surely bring a smile back to yours.

Send e-mail to ghoward@journalsentinel.com

Is Sessions in the mix at point?
By Garry D. Howard
Thursday, Aug 14 2008, 01:09 PM

After filing a column on the Milwaukee Bucks' latest acquisiton for today's editions of the Journal Sentinel, I was met with about a dozen e-mails early this morning stating very strongly that Ramon Sessions was the point guard of the future, not Luke Ridnour (way better than you even know), not Tyronn Lue and definitely not Damon Jones.

Sessions, who averaged 4.9 assists per game during his 97-game college basketball career at the University of Nevada, has worked very hard to become an NBA player and I like his story.

Last year, he did extremely well in the D-League, starting 17 of 24 games for the Tulsa 66ers, while scoring a more than respectable (for the D-League, that is) 21.1 points per game and handing out 7.6 apg. He was called up by the Bucks after battling a hand injury and looked fresh, compared to the other guards on the team who were just trying to play out the string under under-manned Larry Krystkowiak.

Sessions played in 17 games, starting seven, last year for the Bucks after his call-up and put up 7.5 assists per game, which is middle of the pack in the NBA. Not bad. But the bogus record he set for assists should not be a record. Yes, I know, he did it in a regular-season NBA game, but the Chicago Bulls crushed the Bucks, 151-135, at the Bradley Center for crying out loud, and yet Sessions still set a record with 24 assists that were not true NBA dimes (if players are standing around in what amounts to a pickup game while waiting to shoot jumpers, then the assist shouldn't count).

Sure, it looks pretty on paper, but Journal Sentinel Bucks beat writer Tom Enlund described that contest as a "glorified playground game," and that is exactly what it was, in addition to being hard on the eyes.

Sessions is a good player, don't get me wrong, and I like him, but ... he is not as polished as Luke Ridnour nor as seasoned as Tyronn Lue. I doubt very seriously if Damon Jones even makes it to training camp or even out of the month of August on the Bucks roster, so Sessions should have a spirited battle in camp against Ridnour and Lue.

But you must consider this heading forward: Sessions is not nearly as fast as either one. His jumper is not as crisp as either one. And he is just learning the NBA game. But he has an NBA body and a work ethic that should present playing-time issues for Coach Scott Skiles -- and this is a good thing.

Sessions should have been mentioned in my column on the point guards, true, but you are more than a bit carried away if you think he is ready to begin the season as the team's starting point guard.

Don't see that happening, but he will make the 2008 Bucks Training Camp very, very interesting.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Re: Garry Howard emerges from deep slumber to weigh in 

Post#2 » by LUKE23 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:18 pm

Sessions is faster than Ridnour, and as inconsistent as Sessions jumper is, it's better than Ridnour's already. Howard needs to stop drinking before noon.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#3 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:29 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Sessions is faster than Ridnour, and as inconsistent as Sessions jumper is, it's better than Ridnour's already. Howard needs to stop drinking before noon.

Eh... I'm not a Luke fan, but he can run for a white dude (no offense to the NAAWD), and he'll push the tempo better than Sessions can.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#4 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:37 pm

So in other words Ramon hasn't invited Garry out to his ranch in Montana yet, as Lee Mayberry used to do.

Ok...all joking aside, this forum would ignite if Garry D. Howard decided to blog the Bucks. Would be fun to see him engaged here. So I hope he keeps writing.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
bigballajohn
Senior
And1: 21

Post#5 » by bigballajohn » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:05 pm

ridnour should start for now, but ramon will take over soon when he improves
VooDoo7 wrote:
emunney wrote:A horse walks into a bar. It turns to Mason Plumlee and says, "Why the long face?"

Frank the Tank scoffs at both of them.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#6 » by Chapter29 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:52 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Sessions is faster than Ridnour, and as inconsistent as Sessions jumper is, it's better than Ridnour's already. Howard needs to stop drinking before noon.

Sessions is not faster nor quicker than Ridnour.

I like him better than Luke for sure, but come on man be for real. I know your the RealGM Bucks Forum Ridnour hater and all, but man you jumped the shark with that statement.
Giannis
is
UponUs
MetroDrugUnit
Sixth Man
And1: 46

Post#7 » by MetroDrugUnit » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:30 pm

I just read this article and was going to post it when I saw this post. Has this guy been in Iraq covering camel racing for the last year or so? Where does he get these "I'll just pull this out of my ass" grades for the Bucks aquisitions? Luke got a B+ which means if he could shot at all he would be a A+ if I had to guess. What a terrible columist, he said that the perfect point guard for our team would be Chris Paul but we drafted Bogut insted which has worked out quite lovely. Are you serious. Why not bring up the fact that we should have drafted Jason Kidd insted of the Big Dog while you're at it.
James1980
Veteran
And1: 381

Post#8 » by James1980 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:32 pm

Garry D. Howard wrote:A perfect point guard would be Chris Paul (love this kid!), but the Bucks drafted the 7-foot Bogut with their No. 1 pick instead of Paul - rightfully so - and that has worked out rather lovely.

Did he say that picking Bogut over Paul was right and worked out lovely???
NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:I overlook foolishness.
MetroDrugUnit
Sixth Man
And1: 46

Post#9 » by MetroDrugUnit » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:43 pm

James1980 wrote:
Garry D. Howard wrote:A perfect point guard would be Chris Paul (love this kid!), but the Bucks drafted the 7-foot Bogut with their No. 1 pick instead of Paul - rightfully so - and that has worked out rather lovely.

Did he say that picking Bogut over Paul was right and worked out lovely???

I think he wanted to say that we really really really should have picked Paul but caught himself at the last minute and said drafting Bogut was "Lovely"

I like Bogut and all but if we do that draft today he doesn't get picked before 3 by anyone
RayRayJones
Starter
And1: 155

Post#10 » by RayRayJones » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:07 pm

Ridnour is way faster than Sessions is, no way can Sessions run a team (or the floor even) like Ridnour can right now. I'm not sure why everyone is still hating on Ridnour. In the '05-'06 Sonics team, he averaged 7apg as the creator in a team that's not set up that much different. Redd is a little less than Allen (at that time) and I would say Lewis was better than Jefferson. CV and Bogut is far better than the combo of Collison and Swift they had at the time too.

Sessions will likely develop a better jump shot, but that's somewhat irrelevant here. Hammond will let Ridnour start for this year and see how it goes. If he does extremely well, he may try to keep him and if not, he's got Sessions who will be more prepared for the NBA game to take over.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,160

Post#11 » by jokeboy86 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:08 am

Why does it seem like all that he is interested in is the Bucks and basketball? Isn't he the editor for the entire Sports section? If the Bucks were to ever leave town I bet he would quit the paper or if they threatened to move, he would write a front page article telling Milwaukee that the Bucks are more important than any other team in WI and we should pay for a new arena to keep them here. I've met the guy several times and he's real nice but he thinks he's big stuff cause hes the sports editor of the JS. The funny thing is when he would come to the barbershop nobody cared who he was and he would get clowned by the older black men there cause of the bummy clothes he wore for somebody with so much clout. :lol: :lol: :lol:
bucksbrewerspackersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#12 » by bucksbrewerspackersfan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:54 am

What did Luke Ridnour do to you man? All you do is hate on the guy.
Isocleas2
Veteran
And1: 513

Post#13 » by Isocleas2 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:03 am

I could only read a few paragraphs before projectile vomiting took over. You have no soul Garry Howard.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks