ImageImage

'Give Bogut a fair go': Goorjian

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

NardFactor
Freshman
And1: 0

'Give Bogut a fair go': Goorjian 

Post#1 » by NardFactor » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:18 am

Hi All, long time lurker here... thought you guys might be interested in this, Bogut has been copping a bit of schtick for the aussie's poor performance... On Roy and HG's (comedians/commentators) radio show a few days ago were blaming him for the Aussies poor showing in the gymnastics, and then the fact one of their washing machines had broken down, kinda funny... anyway here's the aussies coach take on it all, shows he's a team player first and foremost...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/basketball/g ... 74123.html

Be patient and give Andrew Bogut a fair go. That's the passionate plea from Australian men's basketball coach Brian Goorjian.

Bogut, the seven-foot centre who signed a $US60m five-year contract extension with the Milwaukee Bucks last month, has been well contained in Australia's three games so far at the Beijing Olympics.

"There is a whole deal in our country about an NBA player," said Goorjian after yesterday's 106-68 win over Iran.

"Look at Dirk Nowitzki (Germany). He's an NBA All-star and close to the most valuable player in the league and he can't carry Germany on his back. This competition is too good.

"Yao Ming can't carry China on his back.

"What Bogut does in our environment has been my decision. And how Bogut is used and how he was used today (against Iran) has been my decision.

"If it doesn't go well, I think you should look at the coach, if the country is not happy with the way Bogut is playing."

Bogut's statistics at the Beijing Olympics so far are:

* vs Croatia (lost 97-82): 21 minutes; 10 points; 1 rebound; 2 assists; 4 turnovers.
* vs Argentina (lost 85-68): 24 minutes; 7 points; 4 rebounds; 2 assists; 2 turnovers.
* vs Iran (won 106-68): 17 minutes; 10 points; 7 rebounds; no assists; 1 turnover.

"I have said all along our country's success is going to be based on how (Brad) Newley, how (David) Barlow, how (Patrick) Mills and (Joe) Ingles play," Goorjian said.

"I don't think you can have a guy with you for a week, play two games (pre Olympics Diamond Ball tournament) and come into a tournament (Olympics) and have the whole country go 'hey this boy is supposed to carry us'.

"He is a 23-year-old guy who is growing with the team. I think he has got better with each game.

"This kid ... if I play him 10 minutes, or if I play him 12 minutes, or we have a shoot around or we get beat by 20, he stays with the team and he accepts the role that I give him and he does not complain.

"Tonight (versus Iran) he had a game that he could have dominated and I rotated and he is behind the team.

"Bogut is an important factor in this. He is the future of our program, he is the cornerstone.

"He is something you build upon, but these other guys are going to have to come up, carry their bag and play big for us to win in this tournament."
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Re: 'Give Bogut a fair go': Goorjian 

Post#2 » by paul » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:24 am

The Australian coach blaming a coach for Bogut not being involved? Confused, going in to meltdown, how can I possibly spin this so that it can be seen as Bogut supporters blaming the coach for Bogut's play, sarcastic comment needed, please somebody help me.......
MajorDad
Banned User

Post#3 » by MajorDad » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:50 am

that's a new one. a coach taking the blame for bogut's play.

My question to that coach is why don't you try to revolve your offense around bogut and play him more? Why do you keep using your stupid perimeter offense and keep losing? You'd think after awhile, the light would dawn on him. You've got an NBA caliber center Australia. Use him! Spain uses gashol. germany uses Dirk. China uses yao. So why does the Austalian coach use these other losers instead of Bogut? he had the same game plan in the last Olympics and got the same bad results.

I think it's time for a new Australian coach and a new strategy of how to play these games. I also think it's time for bogut to get a little more selfish and start taking these games over rather tha n being such a nice guy and team player. it's time for bogut to tell the coach how stupid this game plan actually is.

people keep saying that the olympics is a different brand of basketball. teh reason the US has lost in the past is that we started changing our style of play to match our comeption. I think it's time for the US to go back to the way we play and what we do best and let the other nations try to match our style. They can't.
redred9
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#4 » by redred9 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:28 am

youre right about Goorjian. He has a great winning record back in Australia (i used to live there) but its because he always has the best athletes and always has guys who can defend. His offence inadequacies are exposed big time when he hits the world stage. Australia can do better than this. Goorjian makes players offence fit around what he wants to do rather than looking at the players skillsets and drawing up a suitable offence, which is criminal at this high a level of competition.

The US will win if they can make teams run. Noone in the world comes close in a trackmeet- instant blowout. If teams somehow (Calderon & Rubio?) can slow the tempo to a deliberate crawl and not turn the ball over- thats when the US gets in all sorts of trouble. NBA players are not used to the spacing (or lack of it) in international competition, and obviously struggle to shoot / make plays against well run zone defence.
bayrdbandit
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#5 » by bayrdbandit » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:01 am

wow! goorjian taking the blame? i'm impressed. however, that doesn't make it any better, that's not putting the wins on the board. bogut's not being used properly, anyone can see that. but when he is used properly for the occasional play, he's not finishing the way he should. we haven't had the ideal run into this tournament, we shouldn't have expected much at all from bogut or the team.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,716

Post#6 » by AussieBuck » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:20 am

The thing for me is this isn't a Bogut problem, at least not entirely. Australia's best 4 players are all PF's or C's (Bogut, Anderson, Anstey, Nielson) yet Goorjian doesn't like to use bigmen. That's the problem. We needed Goorjian in charge when the team was led by Gaze, Heal, Maher etc.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#7 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:39 am

Bogut played very poorly the first two games. He deserved any blame he is getting. Played much better against a weak Iranian team. True test for him coming up against Russia and Lithuania, as the Boomers still have a chance to qualify for the knockout round.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,716

Post#8 » by AussieBuck » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:04 am

Couldn't agree more Chuck.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
oldmanpirate
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#9 » by oldmanpirate » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:03 pm

Sadly i agree while Andrew has been playing terrible, the coaching and style of play has been pedestrian at best or more realistically - embarrassing.

Brian is only taking the blame because he 'thinks' he is safe and he is right. However anyone how has watched the games has seen a team with no options , uninterested in defense (stop the dribble penetration LOL) being used in the strangest ways with the timing or replacements etc .

Sadly we are not the strongest BB nation but this is the strongest team we have had and will have for some time - fans like me are starting to see this as an opportunity missed.
MajorDad
Banned User

Post#10 » by MajorDad » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:27 pm

I never expected Australia to be one of the top 3 teams at this year's Olympics. but i did expect them to be respectable. I remember their last appearance in 2004. I was disapointed in Bogut's performance then, and asked the blunt question why doesn't the Australia coach use bogut more or at least focus his offense around what i thought was his team's strength instead of having his guards chuck it up all game long. Australia didn't do well as a team in the 2004 Olympics, and they are not going to excite anybody in these olympics either. i would have thought after 2004, the coach would take a step back and regroup and build his game plan around bogut for this year. but his game plan looks unchanged. And he even admits it's unchanged. Australia looks like they have some talented players. it's a shame they are being under utilized. it's very hard for me to fathom that Bogut is only averaging 21 minutes a game. Even when losing, bogut should be playing 30-35 minutes. IS the Australia coach trying to save Bogut for the NBA and not wanting to tire him out?

it's as if bogut is being treated as an outcast by his country's Olympic coach for playing in the NBA and not staying home and playing with the team. Bogut had as much practice time with his Australia team as gashol and Dirk had with there respective teams. gashol is an intregal part of his team's system, and Bogut is being used almost like a guest who's allowed on the team but not to be part of it's core or system.

it's as if bogut is saying I'll do whatever the coach tells me to do even when he knows it's wrong.
Jakko
Ballboy

Post#11 » by Jakko » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:07 pm

I think Goorj explained things quite well, in that Dirk and Yao are showing that you can build your team around an NBA "star", but it doesnt guarantee winning results.

He isnt coaching like hes relying on 20ppg from Bogut for things to work.

And he isnt coaching too well lets face it. But Bogut hasnt been given a license, and seems content to do whatever his coach is asking of him.
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#12 » by 6_Rings » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:28 pm

i wonder how you guys maybe posting right now if you still have Yi. dual disappointed i guess.
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
redred9
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#13 » by redred9 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:47 am

6_Rings wrote:i wonder how you guys maybe posting right now if you still have Yi. dual disappointed i guess.

between those first two games of boguts and joe alexanders summer league play, plus having just traded Mo Williams, if the Bucks still had Yi instead of Jefferson half this board would have commited suicide by now :lol:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks