ImageImage

OT: Whatcha rocking in the IPOD (FALL SEMESTER)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: OT: Whatcha rocking in the IPOD (FALL SEMESTER) 

Post#81 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:03 am

MikeIsGood wrote:I mellowed out with some Sigur Ros ( ) today.

Nice call. Love that group.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#82 » by Rockmaninoff » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:11 pm

I second emmuney's list.

I don't have an IPOD, but i've been listening to this stuff on my Fisher-Price mono record player:

Al Jolson 'Sings Stephen Foster' - Original Hip Hop. Jolson's delivery is wonderful and I'm a huge Stephen Foster fan. The racial stuff is just icing on the cake.

Willie Nelson 'Stardust' - The best collection of standards sung and played by the country/jazz master.

Wendy Carlos 'A Clockwork Orange Soundtrack' - Some of my favorite classical tracks in MOOG format. I also like the soundtrack for Castlevania 2 (and pretty much all NES music for that matter). For when I feel ultraviolent.

The Japanese Orphan Childrens Choir - They do a killer version of 'Oh Shenandoah' and of Foster's 'Jeanie with the Light Brown Hair'.

David Bowie 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars' - The original death of rock and roll. The story of Kurt Cobain?

The Bremerhaven Choir 'Original Shanties' - More original Hip Hop. The grown up version of 'Oh Shenandoah. I want that played at my funeral. Away, I've gone away, 'cross the wide Missouri (but Missouri sounds like misery).

Besides that, I listen to the radio, or play Piedmont Blues and Ragtime on my guitar. It's an American made Harmony.

And, I find that MIA chick to be both intriguing and disgusting at the same time. She's the new Al Jolson.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
TheGhostDog
Senior
And1: 2

Post#83 » by TheGhostDog » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:31 pm

Now that Garbage's Shirley Manson is acting on TV's Terminator instead of singing, the female-fronted rock band that kicks the most ass is The Duke Spirit. I cannot put "Love is an Unfamiliar Name" in my iPod because when the chorus kicks in I might get too fired up and try running through a wall. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S_DQmMbVWM

That's from their guitar-dominated first album, which has more of a Velvet Underground feel with hints of Pixies and Mazzy Star. Their second, out just a few months ago, mixes lead singer Liela Moss's voice more prominently and plays up more of their 60s Mod influences. The Duke Spirit is touring the US now; you can catch them in Milwaukee come November.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#84 » by Nebula1 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:36 pm

T.I. and John Legend.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,952

Post#85 » by Jez2983 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:21 am

tyland wrote:- Coldplay: Viva La Vida. Best album since their debut IMHO

Not sure if I'd agree it's better than A Rush of Blood to the Head but then I liked that more than the first album anyway. Viva La Vida plays better as a whole album than their 2nd and 3rd albums which I suppose was like their first.

emunney wrote:Why does that piss her off? Richard Cheese always puts me in a great mood. I highly recommend his Slipknot cover for mood-bettering.

How could someone make you mad when their album titles are:

The Sunny Side of the Moon
Tuxicity
Apertif for Destruction
and the all-time classic:

I'd Like a Virgin

Come on.

Thankyou for helping me waste the last 90 minutes of my life on youtube! Richard Cheese = musical genius. My personal favourites have been the Milkshake song, Rock the Casbah and Rape Me!
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#86 » by BobbyLight » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:48 am

TheGhostDog wrote:Now that Garbage's Shirley Manson is acting on TV's Terminator instead of singing, the female-fronted rock band that kicks the most ass is The Duke Spirit. I cannot put "Love is an Unfamiliar Name" in my iPod because when the chorus kicks in I might get too fired up and try running through a wall. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S_DQmMbVWM

That's from their guitar-dominated first album, which has more of a Velvet Underground feel with hints of Pixies and Mazzy Star. Their second, out just a few months ago, mixes lead singer Liela Moss's voice more prominently and plays up more of their 60s Mod influences. The Duke Spirit is touring the US now; you can catch them in Milwaukee come November.

I love female fronted rock. My personal favs...

Luckie Stike - Pop/Punk/Rockibilliy

http://www.last.fm/music/Luckie+Strike

The Horropops - Some gold old pschyobilly. Never seen a chick from Denmark look this good while playing a stand up bass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3gib969 ... re=related

Lacuna Coil - Hard Rock/Metal with one of the best female vocalists anywhere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly9E30Hc5pg

Guano Apes - Hard rock from Germany (great song):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFojdQ8d7DY

Within Temptation - Goth metal group

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JizBVv-J5_0

Tapping The Vein - awesome cover of Tori Amos' Cornflake Girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT0viAyKnSM

And I am sure there is more....
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#87 » by LUKE23 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:28 pm

Coldplay-Viva La Vida, Violet Hill
Willy Porter-Angry Words, Rita, Available Light
Keane-Somewhere Only We Know, A Bad Dream, Try Again
Matt Kearney-Bullet, Undeniable, In The Middle
Tupac-everything
DMB-everything
Barenaked Ladies-anything
Metro Station-Shake It
Bruce Springsteen-Radio Nowhere
bogutsdad
Senior
And1: 0

Post#88 » by bogutsdad » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:39 am

After watching seasons mtb dvd, it had an awesome soundtrack, so I have uploaded most of the songs off that
The sessions-18 candles
Rage against the machine-bulls on parade
The cat empire- two shoes
Wintersleep-Orca

Actually hadn't heard of wintersleep before but downloaded some of their other songs and they sound pretty good. How big are wintersleep in the states? Fair to say they are unknown in Australia.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#89 » by BuckHole » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:15 pm

I'm an outsider here, but this is my $.02

Podcasts:
ESPN: Fantasy Focus
Skeptoid
Dan Carlin

Music:
Albums
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros-global a go-go
Hüsker Dü-new day rising
The Flaming Lips-soft bulletin
Game-lax
Neutral Milk Hotel-In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Song
Kanye West, KRS-One, Nas & Rakim-Classic (Better Than I've Ever Been)

Artist, everything they have
Steely Dan
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#90 » by Nebula1 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:52 pm

You guys like that Love Lockdown track by Kanye?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jraeq9BY3Wo

I like the end alot, but I wish he would've taken it further. Maybe a little A Day in the Life by the Beatles.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#91 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:01 am

Right now I'm all about the Humdinger, Nappy Roots latest album. I listen to the pied Piper of R&B just about every day. I'll throw on a little K-ci and JoJo, Boyz II Men or Az Yet for my imaginary slow dances with Anna Ivanovic. I've never been a country guy, but my friend has had some stuff on that I've been getting into a little bit. Taylor Swift and Sugerland stay doin the dam thing. Reba's 'Every other weekend' brings a tear to the eye.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#92 » by paul » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:11 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
midranger wrote:I've been rockin' alot of jazz and R&B lately. Main perpetrators being Stan Getz, Etta James, Nina Simone, Sade, and John Legend.

I'm getting old now.

Though, I'll tell you what, there is nothing better than having a cocktail in a rocks glass and listening to "Girl from Ipanema" or "Desafinado" with Stan Getz. It's crazy. Try it with a girl sometime.

The one Nina Simone song I am familiar with, "Sinnerman" I really love.
I became familiar with it from a somewhat odd source I suppose, actually. It was in the 1999 remake of the film "The Thomas Crown Affair"
I liked that movie (more than the original, hopefully that's not blasphemous to some) and I very much enjoyed the soundtrack. You probably would too, midranger. Nina Simone was partly responsible for that soundtrack (with Sting and Bill Conti). I just stopped by the wikipedia entry for that movie because I couldn't remember one of the names (Bill Conti) and I see there they are making a sequel to that 1999 remake to be released in 2009 and to be directed by Paul Verhoeven :o
Quite a strange sequence of randomness that caused to me to discover that :)

I'm only familiar with two songs by Sade, but I like both of them. "Smooth Operator" is good, but I'm more partial to "No Ordinary Love"

I do like "Girl from Ipanema" but I have to be in the right mood for it.

In general, I just am really not a fan at all of jazz. I've tried to get into it, and I just can't for some reason.

I don't have an actual iPod, but my PocketPC phone is a comparable portable media player.
I generally only have about 100MB of free internal memory to use for mp3s since I use up much of the rest of the internal storage on various work related files. I haven't gotten around to getting a larger micro SD card, so I only have the 512MB card it came with. I do have it filled with MP3s (besides a few pictures) but that space gets used up fast. Plus for some reason Active Sync recently stopped working so I am kind of stuck with what is on there right now until I fix that.

Right now these are the albums I have in there:

- the soundtrack to "The Dark Knight"
- The Killers - Sam's Town
- M.I.A. - Piracy Funds Terrorism
- M.I.A. - Arular
- M.I.A. - Kala

GAD if your looking to get into a little more Nina Simone I highly recommend looking for her songs (or versions of) Here comes the sun, Ain't got no/I got life, My baby just cares for me and Don't smoke in Bed among many others. The very best Sunday afternoon, glass of wine and daily papers spread out music there is.

Back on topic - I've had a bit of a weird month music wise. Feeling a bit retro with stuff like -

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground and Nico
Some solo Lou Reed
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - The first 10 years
Joy Division - Substance

Some in-between stuff like -

Billy Bragg & Wilco - Mermaid Avenue
Elliott Smith - Either Or
The Shins - Chutes too narrow
Jose Gonzalez - Veneer

Then some newer stuff like -

Rilo Kiley
The Wombats
Kings of Leon
The Killers
Damien Rice

I listen to music pretty much all day every day while I work so I guess a bit of a retro freakout is required every now and then to keep things interesting, and although I do constantly use my ipod I'm moving back to being an album listener - I find you miss out on way too many cool songs by just skipping to your favourites all the time with the ipod and many great songs aren't that good unless heard in the album order they were intended imo.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#93 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:34 am

It's a long shot, but did anyone go see Ratatat tonight at Turner Hall?

I have been waiting for them to come around here for a while now.

Great show. Wanted to hear more from the first album, which was my gateway album, if you will.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#94 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:37 am

Rockmaninoff wrote:Wendy Carlos 'A Clockwork Orange Soundtrack' - Some of my favorite classical tracks in MOOG format. I also like the soundtrack for Castlevania 2 (and pretty much all NES music for that matter). For when I feel ultraviolent.

Not only do I love that movie...but the soundtrack is killer. Good call.
charlesbarkley
Junior
And1: 1

Post#95 » by charlesbarkley » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:27 am

Handsome Furs - Plague Park
Desaparecidos - Read Music, Speak Spanish
She & Him - Volume One
Say Hi To Your Mom - Numbers & Mumbles
Tilly & The Wall - Bottoms Of Barrels
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#96 » by jerrod » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:30 pm

best song of the summer:

Hold tight - Skillz featuring Black Thought produced by ?uestlove and James Poyser. Off Skillz' Million Dollar Backpack cd.

just awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-cbYclE7tA
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,023

Post#97 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:44 pm

Been listening to a lot of Ne-Yo and Avenged Sevenfold lately. I used to be a big Ax7 fan years ago and dismissed their last two albums, but I'm starting to really dig 'em the more I listen. I love their track Gunslinger.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#98 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:47 am

Just found out that one of my favorite musicians - Miguel Zenon - was recently awarded the MacArthur "genius" grant. Half a million bucks is a huge award for a jazz musician.

http://www.macfound.org/site/c.lkLXJ8MQKrH/b.4537297/

Musicians who got their BM from Berklee and MM from Manhattan School of Music represent!
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#99 » by El Duderino » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:58 am

Some of the cd's sitting by the player

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,393

Post#100 » by trwi7 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:13 am

El Duderino wrote:Image

This reminds me of my favorite Family Guy quote.

Lois: What the hell? Marilyn Manson? Is that who’s causing all this?

Peter: Yeah, it’s all him or her’s fault. Who does he or she think he or she is? Look, you can totally see his or her nipples. That’s obscene, maybe.

Lois: There’s only one thing to do.

Peter: You’re right. We got to find this Marilyn Manson and I got to give that bastard or bitch a piece of my mind or penis.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks