Terry Porter

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

OzzyInTheLake
Freshman
And1: 10

Re: Terry Porter 

Post#21 » by OzzyInTheLake » Mon Sep 8, 2008 5:55 pm

smauss wrote:Ozzy,
My reaction to MD was because I remember back in TP days just how many times TP would take a time out to set-up a play and it would be an absolute debacle of one kind or another. I can remember getting shivers when he did take a time-out thinking we'd be better of just giving the ball to the other team and saving the time-out! Was it TP or Shuler or both - I don't know. We had many a discussion about TP's system or the lack of it many times in those days. That is what gave me a chuckle.

Is TP worse than LK as far as X's & O's; that is a debate that would serve no purpose IMHO unless there is a big difference between bad and worse. I'm sure that TP has learned much since his stint in Milwaukee and I wish him much success with the Suns.

Sorry smauss, it wasn't meant as an attack on you or your opinion.. I willingly take the word of the board on how bad TP was at X and Os (in several other threads also.. but can't be bothered to dig them up) and thus understand the comedic value of MDs statement (esp. since he's usually leading the charge)

It just boggled my mind that in the threads there have been on Porter and bucks coaching staffs many here will slate Porter for being a terrible XO coach, some even the worst they've seen.. when I thought Larry K would easily take that mantle (he does get criticism for it, just not the same amount).

I suppose it was more of a dig and the bucks coaching over the past several seasons than anything else.. and empathy for all the long-term bucks fans.

ETA: I remember several times feeling exactly the same about late quarter Larry K time outs as you did with TP.. which frustrated me endlessly.. and I imagine you even more so.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#22 » by smauss » Mon Sep 8, 2008 6:48 pm

OzzyInTheLake wrote:
smauss wrote:Ozzy,
My reaction to MD was because I remember back in TP days just how many times TP would take a time out to set-up a play and it would be an absolute debacle of one kind or another. I can remember getting shivers when he did take a time-out thinking we'd be better of just giving the ball to the other team and saving the time-out! Was it TP or Shuler or both - I don't know. We had many a discussion about TP's system or the lack of it many times in those days. That is what gave me a chuckle.

Is TP worse than LK as far as X's & O's; that is a debate that would serve no purpose IMHO unless there is a big difference between bad and worse. I'm sure that TP has learned much since his stint in Milwaukee and I wish him much success with the Suns.

Sorry smauss, it wasn't meant as an attack on you or your opinion.. I willingly take the word of the board on how bad TP was at X and Os (in several other threads also.. but can't be bothered to dig them up) and thus understand the comedic value of MDs statement (esp. since he's usually leading the charge)

It just boggled my mind that in the threads there have been on Porter and bucks coaching staffs many here will slate Porter for being a terrible XO coach, some even the worst they've seen.. when I thought Larry K would easily take that mantle (he does get criticism for it, just not the same amount).

I suppose it was more of a dig and the bucks coaching over the past several seasons than anything else.. and empathy for all the long-term bucks fans.

ETA: I remember several times feeling exactly the same about late quarter Larry K time outs as you did with TP.. which frustrated me endlessly.. and I imagine you even more so.

No problem Ozzy, I didn't consider it an attack anyway. Honestly, I think I was much more critical of Shuler than TP. I never thought that TP would be an X's & O's type guy, nor did he have much of any experience coaching in the league therefore it was much more of a mystery to me what Shuler was doing or maybe better said, what Shuler wasn't doing. Shuler had tons of experience and knows the game and I've always had quite high regards for him until those years. Oh well, as bucks fans we are used to ripping the rear view mirrors off and concentrating on whats coming down the road rather than looking back over the rough road we have just gone through........ :wink:
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#23 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Tue Sep 9, 2008 7:14 am

Terry Porter was the wrong hire there...NOT A BAD COACH, JUST NOT THE 'RIGHT COACH.'

Good guy and he should techincally still be the coach here in Milwaukee! He is a better fit for a younger team like say the Memphis Grizzlies.

But Pheonix dropped the ball when they chose not to bring in Flip Saunders or some other guy to coach that team if they are gonna have Shaq and Amare and Nash there.

It was a horrible choice in my opinion so you guys are behind the eight ball right there I think.

It is nothing on Porter. I went to school with the guy and watched his entire career...but he was just not the right hire at this stage in that teams journey.

You needed a proven guy right there. Not a young coach in Porter. Detriot is just the opposite they need a young coach and to trade some of those vets have and let Michael Curry get his feet wet with a talented young trio of player they drafted last year.

But both Atlanta and Phoenix made poor choices as did the Chicago. You had Van Gundy and Flip out there as well asAvery Johnson, Mike Fratello, Paul Silas and Dave Cowens you could have gone to...who are more battle tested.

Any one of those could have worked out better for all of those teams... You don't go from D'Antoni to Terry Porter. I have no idea what Steve Kerr is doing out there?

But we will see...

But like I said, Avery Johnson should have gone to the Atlanta Hawks if they wanted to make a move to pacify Josh Smith, Paul Silas of Flip Saunders to the Suns and Jeff Van Gundy to the Bulls...if not Fratello or Cowens.

But who am I....?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks