And1: 34,958

Jefferson Article on SI.com 

Post#1 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:10 am

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Re: Jefferson Article on SI.com 

Post#2 » by LUKE23 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:29 am

Good find DB. I believe him when he says he's excited to be somewhere where he's wanted, it's always better than any situation where you're taken for granted, big nightlife or not.

This team is going to be very interesting. So many unknowns (how much Skiles improves the D, how much Ridnour improves the offensive efficiency, how much Alexander can bring as a rookie, how much Sessions improves, CV in a contract year). Will at least make the year intriguing.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#3 » by raferfenix » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:38 am

Some really good parts of the article, here are my favorites:

"For the last two or three years, my name has been brought up in trade rumors. Before it was about trading me to Chicago for Luol [Deng]. Now I'm with [former Bulls coach] Scott Skiles in Milwaukee. I saw the correlation. It wasn't surprising. I saw this as an individual who wanted me on his team. Even though he changed teams, I know he has tried to get me for years. He wants me on his team. I'm excited about that."

Real interesting that Skiles was this sure about Jefferson. Also a great sign that he is excited to play for Skiles. It'll be huge for us if RJ plays all out on things besides scoring like he used to in NJ.

This was also cool:

Not anymore. He talks about the potential he sees in a frontcourt with himself and rookie Joe Alexander, who visited Jefferson in San Diego this summer. "We can be a lot like me and Kenyon," said Jefferson. "We're two athletic guys who can score and play multiple positions."

I'm a Alexander optimist, and it seems like Jefferson is as well. Definitely a good sign for his chances at contributing this year that scuh high expectations are being set.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#4 » by trwi7 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:41 am

raferfenix wrote:I'm a Alexander optimist, and it seems like Jefferson is as well. Definitely a good sign for his chances at contributing this year that scuh high expectations are being set.

Come on. We don't know a thing about what Jefferson thinks of Alexander. If he doesn't like Alexander he's not going to go out in an interview and say Man, this guy sucks, I can't believe we drafted him.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
BrewCityBBQ
Analyst
And1: 79

Post#5 » by BrewCityBBQ » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:08 am

trwi7 wrote:
raferfenix wrote:I'm a Alexander optimist, and it seems like Jefferson is as well. Definitely a good sign for his chances at contributing this year that scuh high expectations are being set.

Come on. We don't know a thing about what Jefferson thinks of Alexander. If he doesn't like Alexander he's not going to go out in an interview and say Man, this guy sucks, I can't believe we drafted him.

Yeah but why would he go out of his way to mention Alexander if he didn't really believe that?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#6 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:18 am

Jbizzness wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

Yeah but why would he go out of his way to mention Alexander if he didn't really believe that?

What makes you think he went out of his way? I'm sure he was asked.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#7 » by Buck You » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:27 am

God forbid someone says something positive about Joe Alexander.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#8 » by emunney » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:28 am

Sounds like the guy who went out of his way was Alexander in visiting Jefferson in SD.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#9 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:44 am

Not anymore. He talks about the potential he sees in a frontcourt with himself and rookie Joe Alexander, who visited Jefferson in San Diego this summer. "We can be a lot like me and Kenyon," said Jefferson. "We're two athletic guys who can score and play multiple positions."

For those who say we can't tell what Jefferson thinks of Alexander based on this statement, I completely disagree. That sentence alone is pretty interesting.. He appears to think very highly of Alexander's athleticism and is somewhat putting him in the same category as Kenyon Martin. He also appears to believe that Alexander has enough talent to play multiple positions (the Bucks front office agrees). Is he saying that Alexander is going to be a HOFer? No, but it appears he does think some positive things about the kid.

I like the fact that Alexander went out to San Diego and spent some time with him though.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#10 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:44 am

raferfenix wrote:Some really good parts of the article, here are my favorites:

"For the last two or three years, my name has been brought up in trade rumors. Before it was about trading me to Chicago for Luol [Deng]. Now I'm with [former Bulls coach] Scott Skiles in Milwaukee. I saw the correlation. It wasn't surprising. I saw this as an individual who wanted me on his team. Even though he changed teams, I know he has tried to get me for years. He wants me on his team. I'm excited about that."

Real interesting that Skiles was this sure about Jefferson. Also a great sign that he is excited to play for Skiles. It'll be huge for us if RJ plays all out on things besides scoring like he used to in NJ.

This was also cool:

I'm a Alexander optimist, and it seems like Jefferson is as well. Definitely a good sign for his chances at contributing this year that scuh high expectations are being set.

Well it is like I shared last night in a thread...we should go and get Kenyon Martin and take on his two more years and unload Gadzuric's if they will bite...
I would feel a whole lot better if we had him on the frontline...then I see we can get past the first round...and surprise some people...
BDUB_30
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#11 » by BDUB_30 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:08 am

I am going to be shocked if JA plays any 4 for milwaukee .

I cant figure it out for the life of me . But in films of joe in college that ive seen he looked very physical and solid with his postional awarness . Yet in summer leauge play it was by far the most disapointing aspect of his game . He was clueless about putting his body on anyone .

The only thing i can come up with is he was instructed to go easy , just run the floor and get a feel for things and not get into banging with anyone . I dont think i saw him fight for rebound positon even one time in summer leauge play ..I was specificaly watching for it every game curious as to how well joe held and fought for postion .. I couldnt find it one time in the 4-5 games i watched .

Point being , is this interivew is clearly throwing around the idea of joe playing some 4 and all i can say is if he plays position rebounding in the nba anything like he did in summer leauge , it will be a project scrapped almost immediatly . Im actually worried about him even playing sf because their is no way he can let his man go to the board unchecked and expect to get burn .. lets just hope he was told to go easy for sl .
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#12 » by smooth 'lil balla » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:22 pm

trwi7 wrote:

Disagree completely with this, agree with CBQ.
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#13 » by showtimesam » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:50 pm

I don't think people are amped enough about the acquisition of RJ to the bucks roster.

Sure He's not a top ten NBA talent, but he's the best all-around player we've had in some time. Furthermore, he's a guy that will play both sides of the ball and take on the leadership role that Michael Redd is unable to fulfill.

Hammond has done a great job so far in completely overhauling this mess that he inherited and has the Bucks on track for a much better season.

Whether that means playoffs or not, who knows, but at least we have the make up of a team that can compete for years to come with continued maturation of the younger players on this team (sessions, alexander, bogut).

I expect a disciplined brand of basketball under skiles this seasons that we'll all be able to appreciate after the last few abysmal seasons.
notoriousTJ11
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#14 » by notoriousTJ11 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:20 pm

Awesome article. I'm excited we were able to get Jefferson (especially for just Yi and Simmons). Too bad we couldn't get Haslem though for Mo
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#15 » by smauss » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm very excited RJ is here, and I know I'm in the minority of folks who is very excited to see this roster on the floor. Funny, I'm usually not a "glass half full" kinda guy but for this organization and where we are vs where we were, I'm quite pleased and optimistic.........
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#16 » by raferfenix » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:50 pm

showtimesam wrote:I don't think people are amped enough about the acquisition of RJ to the bucks roster.

Sure He's not a top ten NBA talent, but he's the best all-around player we've had in some time. Furthermore, he's a guy that will play both sides of the ball and take on the leadership role that Michael Redd is unable to fulfill.

Hammond has done a great job so far in completely overhauling this mess that he inherited and has the Bucks on track for a much better season.

Whether that means playoffs or not, who knows, but at least we have the make up of a team that can compete for years to come with continued maturation of the younger players on this team (sessions, alexander, bogut).

I expect a disciplined brand of basketball under skiles this seasons that we'll all be able to appreciate after the last few abysmal seasons.

I agree entirely. RJ wants to take a leadership role, and our team has been desperate for the sort of leader who plays hard on D and is willing to do the little things needed to win. RJ has been a winner throughotu his college and NBA career, and I'm certain that a big part of why Skiles persued him with two different teams is that he thinsk he can mold him as a player to be a star while doing those little things that matter so much.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#17 » by Sigra » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:54 pm

I can't wait for season to start!!!
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#18 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:03 pm

Everyone always says Redd will be a better 2nd banana on a team and I think we might finally have that. If things go really well with Bogut, he could end up being the 3rd best player on this team. RJ and Bogut will play both ends of the floor. Redd can still be a prolific scorer.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#19 » by LUKE23 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:09 pm

RJ is definitely a better all-around player than Redd. Equal scorer, better defender, better rebounder, probably comparable playmaker (not really a compliment). If Bogut can make another leap this year, then yes I agree it's conceivable that Redd could be our third best player in terms of value to the roster.

Redd/RJ/Bogut is a pretty solid threesome, especially paired with a good coach. That has me optimistic. It's the defense in the starting five and the lack of bench weapons that has me somewhat concerned. If Skiles can somehow get the starting five to defend average or better in terms of league rankings, I think we could have a pretty good season. Tough task though.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#20 » by smauss » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:41 pm

LUKE23 wrote:RJ is definitely a better all-around player than Redd. Equal scorer, better defender, better rebounder, probably comparable playmaker (not really a compliment). If Bogut can make another leap this year, then yes I agree it's conceivable that Redd could be our third best player in terms of value to the roster.

Redd/RJ/Bogut is a pretty solid threesome, especially paired with a good coach. That has me optimistic. It's the defense in the starting five and the lack of bench weapons that has me somewhat concerned. If Skiles can somehow get the starting five to defend average or better in terms of league rankings, I think we could have a pretty good season. Tough task though.

Taking a few steps back first, I believe the changing of the mentality of this franchise has been huge and dramatic. That is systemic type of change that has/will flow through the entire organization including the coaches and players. I bring that up only because we tend to get a bit myopic; focusing only on individual players in the back drop of the culture of the entire organization. If my grandma was still alive she would say to me (as she did many times), "Scott, you dasn't forget that!" So I just wanted to somewhat temper my specific comments with that.

Luke, I hold the same fears as you on this roster, especially the defense of the starting 5. Personally, as I've said before, I don't believe CV will start or at least not for very long. I think CV will come off the bench to provide a much needed offensive spark and if that situation doesn't work for CV he will be gone before the trading deadline, maybe even before the all-star break! I believe Elson will win the starting 4 spot. The only other good thing about our concern about "D" is that I don't know of a better coach to get the most out of this roster defensively than Skiles. But I still share your concerns.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator

Return to Milwaukee Bucks