ImageImage

jsonline: player updates, workouts, etc.

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

jsonline: player updates, workouts, etc. 

Post#1 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:29 pm

Bogut should be healthy for camp
By CHARLES F. GARDNER
cgardner@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Sept. 17, 2008

Andrew Bogut is scheduled to return to Milwaukee from Australia this weekend, and the 7-foot center is expected to be ready for the opening of the Milwaukee Bucks’ training camp Sept. 30.

Bogut suffered a badly sprained left ankle while competing for Australia against the U.S. during the Beijing Olympics, an injury suffered when he got tangled up with Team USA star Kobe Bryant.

But a magnetic resonance imaging exam showed no serious damage, and Bogut has been rehabilitating the injury in his hometown of Melbourne for nearly a month.

“Reports are that he’s healthy and should start training camp 100%,” Bucks general manager John Hammond said Wednesday. “That’s what we are hoping and anticipating.”

Bogut signed a five-year, guaranteed $60 million deal during the off-season, with the possibility to earn more in incentives. The 23 year old, the top overall pick in the 2005 National Basketball Association draft, will be entering his fourth season with the Bucks.

The team has undergone a serious transformation since Hammond and new coach Scott Skiles arrived in April. Starting point guard Mo Williams was shipped to Cleveland this summer as part of a three-team deal, and forwards Yi Jianlian and Bobby Simmons went to New Jersey on draft day in exchange for veteran Richard Jefferson.

Hammond said Jefferson is expected to arrive in Milwaukee soon, and newly acquired backup center Francisco Elson also will report after finishing play with his Dutch national team.

Michael Redd has been taking some time off to rest after playing for the U.S. team that won the gold medal in Beijing last month.

A number of players have been working out on their own at the Cousins Center training facility. Among those players are point guard Luke Ridnour, acquired from Oklahoma City as part of the Williams trade; guards Tyronn Lue, Ramon Sessions and Charlie Bell; forward Charlie Villanueva and center Dan Gadzuric; and rookies Joe Alexander and Luc Richard Mbah a Moute.

“A lot of our guys have come back in good condition, and I think they’ve worked extremely hard to prepare themselves for the season,” Hammond said.”

The Bucks will open their exhibition schedule Oct. 6 against Minnesota at the Bradley Center.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=796285
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Re: jsonline: player updates, workouts, etc. 

Post#2 » by crkone » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:33 pm

Good to see a number of players practicing at the cousins center already. Too bad though that only 2 of the starters are there.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#3 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:40 pm

crkone wrote:Good to see a number of players practicing at the cousins center already. Too bad though that only 2 of the starters are there.
Most of those guys need as much practice as possible.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#4 » by LUKE23 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:44 pm

Health will be a major factor this year. Cannot afford an injury to any of Redd/RJ/CV/Bogut, given what IMO is a weak bench. I also think chemistry is an underrated aspect in the NBA, so I'm glad guys are coming in early, and the Bucks can hopefully overcome the feeling out process and be ready to go to start the season out.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#5 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:53 pm

Time for another post from flintstone, I want to hear his early impressions on Ridnour.

BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#6 » by BuckFan25226 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:00 pm

Good to see we'll have C-Bell starting the season fresh and in shape.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#7 » by trwi7 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:40 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:Michael Redd has been taking some time off to rest after playing for the U.S. team that won the gold medal in Beijing last month.

Redd must be worn out after those three minutes per game he played in the Olympics. Not to mention he always came in the game when the pressure was on. :wink:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#8 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Also sounds like Matt Freije will be added to the roster, probably just for training camp though.

carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#9 » by carmelbrownqueen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:53 pm

trwi7 wrote:
carmelbrownqueen wrote:Michael Redd has been taking some time off to rest after playing for the U.S. team that won the gold medal in Beijing last month.

Redd must be worn out after those three minutes per game he played in the Olympics. Not to mention he always came in the game when the pressure was on. :wink:

:lol:

paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#10 » by paul » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:15 am

BuckFan25226 wrote:Good to see we'll have C-Bell starting the season fresh and in shape.

Completely agree. I think Charlie can be an important player for us this season in Skiles system.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#11 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:56 am

paul wrote:
BuckFan25226 wrote:Good to see we'll have C-Bell starting the season fresh and in shape.

Completely agree. I think Charlie can be an important player for us this season in Skiles system.
Oh Please :roll: ....Charlie Villanueva will be "an important player for us this season" only because it is A CONTRACT YEAR....bottom line.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#12 » by Rockmaninoff » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:14 am

trwi7 wrote:

I had the same thought as I put on my socks this morning. Was the jet leg that bad? Is the guy trying to get traded? Come on now, practices couldn't have been that intense. Knock off the prima-donna nonsense and get in the game.

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:
paul wrote:

Oh Please :roll: ....Charlie Villanueva will be "an important player for us this season" only because it is A CONTRACT YEAR....bottom line.

You're the best.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#13 » by paul » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:39 pm

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:
paul wrote:

Read the freaking quote before you roll your eyes at me you complete goose, that would be Charlie Bell.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,952

Post#14 » by Jez2983 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:15 am

But a magnetic resonance imaging exam showed no serious damage, and Bogut has been rehabilitating the injury in his hometown of Melbourne for nearly a month.

“Reports are that he’s healthy and should start training camp 100%,” Bucks general manager John Hammond said Wednesday. “That’s what we are hoping and anticipating.”

I'm going to have the mandatory dig at MJS and say there's some A-Grade reporting here. They comment on an MRI done at the end of the Olympics and then quote what Hammond said the other day. What about reporting on what he's actually doing? Getting a source in Australia who could comment on whether Bogut's been shooting/doing some 1-on-1 work or something like that? "...rehabilitating the injury" well I should sincerely hope he hasn't been sitting in front of his computer eating cheeseburgers for the last month.

As for mbbot's inability do demonstrate simple reading comprehension, I've been thinking about CV lately. Do we want him to have a great year, helping us to get to the playoffs and then worry about him at the end of the year? I suspect most are happy to see him go at the end of the year, but could he have any value in a S&T?

I guess I'm asking, do we want him to maintain his play, keep him on a small deal and try and try and get a better option or have him blow up?
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#15 » by fam3381 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:02 pm

Jez2983 wrote:As for mbbot's inability do demonstrate simple reading comprehension, I've been thinking about CV lately. Do we want him to have a great year, helping us to get to the playoffs and then worry about him at the end of the year? I suspect most are happy to see him go at the end of the year, but could he have any value in a S&T?

I'd be thrilled if CV finally puts it all together and goes for 16/9 while shooting a good percentage (or at least notably better) and playing a nominal amount of defense. If that means he's too expensive to sign long-term, we still have first dibs on him next summer and if he QOs we'd have Bird Rights the following summer.

He'd be an asset for sure, even if it's just as a trade chip. Though if the Bucks kept him this year and QO'ed him in 09/10 he could veto any trades thereafter--since he would lose his Bird rights if he was traded while on a QO. But if he had significant value then you could do a S&T the next summer.

Either way, I'm not expecting CV to put up monster numbers, but I'll be rooting for him all the same. I think we've seen enough of him to know that *hoping* for a breakout year isn't altogether unreasonable, but expecting it is asking to be disappointed.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks