ImageImage

Hammonds biggest mistake?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

darbstar
Junior
And1: 51

Hammonds biggest mistake? 

Post#1 » by darbstar » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:15 am

All the talk of how well John Hamond has done since becoming GM leads me to the question of whether he has made the biggest mistake of all! Im sure this has been talked about plenty im not sure, but im still struggling to come to terms with the bucks picking Alexander ahead of Randolph, b.lopez and augustine!! heck even the other lopez could have been a better pick!

what r everyones thoughts, am i underestimating alexander?? why do we need him after acquiring jefferson??

we could have picked augustine and then traded both mo and charlie V for someone like marion

Augustine
redd
jefferson
marion
bogut

that team would be scary, awesome on offense and marion and augustine are much better defenders then ridnour and charlie V

thoughts on alexander, will he be better then the other 3 drafted players mentioned? will be an all star? why did we pick him after getting jefferson?
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,003

Re: Hammonds biggest mistake? 

Post#2 » by midranger » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:53 am

Hammond's biggest mistake thus far was not starting the season sooner.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,715

Post#3 » by emunney » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:47 pm

I don't think you're underestimating Alexander so much as you're overestimating Randolph, Lopez and Augustine. I'd be pretty surprised if any of those guy contribute much to wins this year, and the same would be true regardless of what team they were on.

There are strong arguments to be made on behalf of each of them as to which has the most potential, and we took the guy who is probably the best athlete and almost certainly has the best work ethic. For me, and in theory, that's tough to argue against, especially considering what I believe to be the fact that none of them will be any good this year.

Also, mid is right.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,331

Post#4 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

The whole Alexander pick logic has been debated on here many many times since the draft. Too early to tell right now. Way too early.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
BucksRuleAll22
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by BucksRuleAll22 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:56 pm

Alexander was the stupidest pick in the draft. The guy is complete garbage and was only drafted bc he perfermed well in meaningless predraft workouts. Bayless should of been the Bucks pick. We would have Sessions and Bayless at point. Then the Bucks could of traded Mo for a PF or some bench depth. Instead the Bucks lost Mo and Dez for basicly nothing and helped make the Cavs better.

Stupid stupid stupid. I love the Jefferson trade but drafting Alexander killed the trade.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,715

Post#6 » by emunney » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:04 pm

If anybody thought Bayless had it in him to be a point guard, he'd have been a top five pick.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
BDUB_30
Banned User

Post#7 » by BDUB_30 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:32 pm

BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Alexander was the stupidest pick in the draft. The guy is complete garbage and was only drafted bc he perfermed well in meaningless predraft workouts. Bayless should of been the Bucks pick. We would have Sessions and Bayless at point. Then the Bucks could of traded Mo for a PF or some bench depth. Instead the Bucks lost Mo and Dez for basicly nothing and helped make the Cavs better.

Stupid stupid stupid. I love the Jefferson trade but drafting Alexander killed the trade.

i think sometimes people have to have an opionon ...its gotta be hot or cold . right or wrong .left or right ..

the simple idea of saying " i dont know " is to hard ...

you have no clue about the kind of pro alexander is going to be , nor bayless ...judging a draft with such harsh critisms before theyve even played one single game is absurd , hell i wont even judge this pick after the first entire season.
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,606

Post#8 » by Balls2TheWalls » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:33 pm

Really? He hasn't played 1 minute, and he is all of a sudden the biggest mistake Hammond will make?

The only thing that was obvious from Summer League is that Alexander is raw. He showed a lot of good traits, and he showed his youth, but this is something we see every Summer League; players that will never make it in the NBA dominate the rookies regularly.

Give him time, he could end up being a fan favorite. He will get to learn from a great SF in Jefferson.

Don't buy the Alexander jerseys just yet, but don't run him over with your 'over analysis' bus just yet.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#9 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:18 pm

I think Hammond's biggest mistake was using the draft pick at all, when he probably could have traded it for a solid veteran. But I give him the benefit of the doubt with regard to the fact that there probably weren't any viable trade offers out there. Still wonder if JA could be traded for someone like Marion or Battier during the season sometime.

Alternatively, he could have looked into trading some veterans and rebuilding, but apparently since he fell into the RJ trade he felt the Bucks could patch things up on the fly. I personally thing the Bucks should have rebuilt but can't blame Hammond for trying when he was able to get RJ for Yi and Simmons.

Either way, I would be happier if I had either a) more reason to look forward to this season because JA was traded for immediate help or b) more reason to look forward to the long-term future because the Bucks rebuilt around their young players and draft picks. Of course, Hammond could still go in one of those directions and it's probably wise of him to wait and see what he has.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
THE DINJ
Starter
And1: 121

Post#10 » by THE DINJ » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:54 pm

His biggest mistake was giving up the saxophone in junior high. He would have made a really awesome sax player.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#11 » by trwi7 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:04 pm

Hammond doesn't seem like he would be a sax machine.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,494

Post#12 » by old skool » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:20 pm

If Hammond made a big mistake by drafting JA when he already had a solid starter at that same position, then Portland did the right thing when they passed on Michael Jordan when they had Clyde Drexler already starting in Jordan's position.

The Bucks are not good enough to not take the best player available, regardless of position. They need to build their overall talent base. By amassing the best talent, they are in position to make trades that will improve their team.

It is legitimate to disagree with the JA pick if you like someone drafted later instead. But I can't criticize Hammond for picking JA if Hammond felt that Joe was the best prospect available. The draft is always a crapshoot to some extent. You don't necessarily know what you have before the season starts, or, as we saw last year with Yi, even after 30 NBA games.

oLd sKool
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#13 » by Andrew34r » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:38 pm

There is no question that his biggest mistake was both Alexander and Jefferson both have not scored a point...got a rebound...or had an assist yet this season!
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#14 » by raferfenix » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:25 pm

Richard Jefferson says he thinks Alexander can be like a Kenyon Martin. If he's right, this could be one of Hammond's best moves.

I'm excited to see that tandem on the break, there's a ton of potential there. Even aside from that, our team desperately needs players who will go all out (especially on D) and share the basketball on offense. Won't that be refreshing instead of another shot-happy me first no defense greedy player that we've had infesting our teams since before the Big 3 days?
MajorDad
Banned User

Post#15 » by MajorDad » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:39 pm

it would be interesting to find out the reasoning of the Alexander pick over the more popular bayliss, lopez and Augustine possibilities. He did make the pick after the jefferson trade and not before. Bayliss is more of a gordon/Mo than he is a pg . Drafting Augustine would have affected the Lue pick-up. I almost would have gone after lopez. I don't see a great future for Alexander. Was he drafted to play PF? i don't know. can he play PF? probably as god as haislip did.

I have two problems- picking the best athlete over the best basketball player. The best athlete rarely improvs his basketball game in the NBA and becomes a haislip. I also like drafting the best player available regardless of position. i have strong doubts that Alexander was the best athlete available. it's obvious he was the guy Skiles wanted. it will be interesting to see how Skiles uses him. if he doesn't do something this year, my guess is the next bucks pick will be hammond's choice and not skiles.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#16 » by Wise1 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:18 pm

IMO, the Alexandar pick will prove to be a bad one. I think Bayless, Randolph and either of the Lopez brothers will be better pros.
bucksbrewerspackersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#17 » by bucksbrewerspackersfan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:33 am

I think it is to early to guess which move Hammonds is the worse far as we know it could be RJ who is to say RJ does not die in some horriable blimp accident before the season starts?? I am going to wait at least a year before I question any of the moves. In all honesty I think Hammonds has done a good job but it is going to take a while for things to come into place and they may not because of luck of players getting injured etc. I like the JA pick I am not sold on Bayless or the Lopez twins. But you never know. I think he is drafting him for the future and someone to groom over time with rather than throw to the wolves so to speak.
darbstar
Junior
And1: 51

Post#18 » by darbstar » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:16 am

i Think if Jefferson were to have a bad accident before the season, and never played again, i dont think anyone would blame hammonds!

And if your theory of picking Alexander is for the future, then doesnt that completely go against the idea of what he is trying to do in competing now by adding an aging jefferson, keeping redd etc
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#19 » by drew881 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:20 am

Bayless is Mo Williams 2.0, Augustine is TJ ford 2.0, and the Lopez brothers are just meatheads. Randolph could be good, and Donte Green (who we also worked out) did well in the summer league for Houston. I think Randolph and Green will be better scorers at the SF position, but Alexander will be more of a hustle player, will play better defense eventually, and provide more intangibles...we don't need scoring out of him with the other players on this team.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#20 » by worthlessBucks » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:30 am

drew881 wrote:Bayless is Mo Williams 2.0, Augustine is TJ ford 2.0, and the Lopez brothers are just meatheads. Randolph could be good, and Donte Green (who we also worked out) did well in the summer league for Houston. I think Randolph and Green will be better scorers at the SF position, but Alexander will be more of a hustle player, will play better defense eventually, and provide more intangibles...we don't need scoring out of him with the other players on this team.

That's the thing though, when Redd and Jefferson are gone in 2-3 years, we will have a completely different team with different personnel. We might need something more than an intangibles player at that time and, perhaps, the opportunity cost of taking Joe over a few other players mentioned will be devastating. Hopefully the haul will be pretty good when we unload our 2 guard and SF. :D
Go Bucks!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks