MJS: Bucks, Improvement, not playoffs, is their goal

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

MJS: Bucks, Improvement, not playoffs, is their goal 

Post#1 » by Badgerlander » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:09 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=800617

“At this point, I just want us to win the opening tip on opening night,” guard Michael Redd said with a laugh Monday at the team’s media day. “That’s all I want to do. That’s our goal. Just win the opening tip. Don’t say anything about the playoffs.

At this point I guess the Bucks should be happy to even be on the front page of the sports section.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Re: MJS: Bucks, Improvement, not playoffs, is their goal 

Post#2 » by jeremyd236 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:20 pm

Obviously the playoffs are their goal but they're not going to go out and say that to the media (in case they fail). I think "improvement" in general is a good goal. To the disappointment of many here, I think the Bucks organization as a whole realizes that we aren't going to improve by 30 wins in one season.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#3 » by LUKE23 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:22 pm

Yeah, I can pretty much guarantee the team goal inside the locker room is making the playoffs, and it should be, because we have a roster that can accomplish it. I actually kind of like that they aren't saying what they will or should do to the media, and are just going about their business instead.

Seems like more than a couple players have made a point to bring up Ridnour. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#4 » by old skool » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:25 pm

I think this article is more about leadership than anything else.

The last couple of seasons, the Bucks, led by Larry Harris, have focused on making the playoffs as their goal. That and being an improved defensive team.

sKiles has turned the rhetoric down a notch or two by telling the team not to talk for the sake of talking. Rather to work on improving in the areas that they can improve. This is very much part of sKiles' pattern. He is setting a tone. Which is in stark contrast to the tone set by the GM in recent seasons.

oLd sKool
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#5 » by BuckFan25226 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:33 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Yeah, I can pretty much guarantee the team goal inside the locker room is making the playoffs, and it should be, because we have a roster that can accomplish it. I actually kind of like that they aren't saying what they will or should do to the media, and are just going about their business instead.

Seems like more than a couple players have made a point to bring up Ridnour. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

In case I've missed comments on Ridnour, links?
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#6 » by LUKE23 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:44 pm

"It's really an exciting team," Alexander said. "Watching (point guard) Luke Ridnour and how fast he is has really impressed me, and Richard Jefferson, we're so lucky to have him here. I get to learn from him, and he seems more than willing to help out the young guys."

There was also some quotes on him in that Bucks.com article about the team getting together early.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#7 » by aboveAverage » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:57 pm

I like Skile's approach. Don't make empty promises. Go and do it on the court. Every year we hear how good we are going to be, and how we will make the playoffs, and then it goes sour. Prove it on the court.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks