ImageImage

Ball Don't Lie's Bucks Preview

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Ball Don't Lie's Bucks Preview 

Post#1 » by jerrod » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:45 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d ... ng-content

nothing too groundbreaking, pretty much the same stuff we've said on here

although the bogut acoustic guitar comment was kind of funny
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Re: Ball Don't Lie's Bucks Preview 

Post#2 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:55 pm

He considers Royal Ivey and Adrian Griffen to be key players.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Joana » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:22 pm

The topic of how much can a good team-defense help a team is very interesting.

Last year Pacers is a good example. They got one of the best defensive coaches in the history of the game and their players seemed committed to put the effort. However, that didn't improve their defense by much, if at all.

The Celtics also hired a top defensive coach. They were by far the best defense in the league, playing the exact same system Indiana played.

In my view, it's very hard to improve your defense if you don't have good individual defenders on the floor. Skiles also needs to be an instructor.
jerrod
RealGM
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#4 » by jerrod » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:29 pm

i think that to have a great defense you need all 3 of: motivation, talent, good teaching.

there's no way we're gonna be great but i think we'll be ok if skiles is a good instructor and he can keep everyone motivated.
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Wade-A-Holic » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:38 pm

jerrod wrote:i think that to have a great defense you need all 3 of: motivation, talent, good teaching.

there's no way we're gonna be great but i think we'll be ok if skiles is a good instructor and he can keep everyone motivated.

I don't think good teaching has anything to do with it. Phil Jackson has coached some of the best defensive teams in basketball over the years, and both he and his players have said that Phil hardly even ever talks about defense in practice, let alone practices it. It's all about having a star or superstar that buys in on defense. If the team's best player is busting his butt on that end of the floor, everyone else will.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#6 » by trwi7 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:40 pm

I just hope that Potsie's sandals get some playing time.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
jerrod
RealGM

Post#7 » by jerrod » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:41 pm

Wade-A-Holic wrote: I don't think good teaching has anything to do with it. Phil Jackson has coached some of the best defensive teams in basketball over the years, and both he and his players have said that Phil hardly even ever talks about defense in practice, let alone practices it. It's all about having a star or superstar that buys in on defense. If the team's best player is busting his butt on that end of the floor, everyone else will.

phil jackson never talks about defense, or phil jackson's staff never talks about it?
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#8 » by fam3381 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:49 pm

Wade-A-Holic wrote:I don't think good teaching has anything to do with it. Phil Jackson has coached some of the best defensive teams in basketball over the years, and both he and his players have said that Phil hardly even ever talks about defense in practice, let alone practices it. It's all about having a star or superstar that buys in on defense. If the team's best player is busting his butt on that end of the floor, everyone else will.

I really don't see good defense as a one-size-fits-all approach, and to use Jackson's coaching style as a rule seems odd to me (not just for defense either). Jackson had two of the best defensive players of all time in Chicago (and Rodman later) and he has obviously had Kobe in LA. Of course he had to focus less on defense.

But those teams obviously differed greatly from what allowed Skiles to build great defensive teams in Chicago, which I think are far more relevant archetypes to the Bucks' current situation than anything Jackson has done.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#9 » by Bernman » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:06 pm

The only good part of the article:

"Tyronn Lue (free agent, Audrain County Elementary School)"

"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#10 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:58 am

Bernman wrote:The only good part of the article:

"Tyronn Lue (free agent, Audrain County Elementary School)"

:rofl:

I was also amused by the "Name Draft" being where we got Luc Richard Mbah A Moute
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#11 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:14 am

Wade-A-Holic wrote:
jerrod wrote:i think that to have a great defense you need all 3 of: motivation, talent, good teaching.

I don't think good teaching has anything to do with it. Phil Jackson has coached some of the best defensive teams in basketball over the years, and both he and his players have said that Phil hardly even ever talks about defense in practice, let alone practices it. It's all about having a star or superstar that buys in on defense. If the team's best player is busting his butt on that end of the floor, everyone else will.

Bull crap....Phil hardly ever talked about it because he had Tex Winter the ultimate defensive guru and Jim Cleamons his longtime assistants to do the talking for him.

We will see how Lionel Hollins and Jim Boylan Skiles' assistants will do here with Skiles. Hollins was an excellent defensive guard for the Blazers in his heyday...I remember him well. Good player.

But you should know that about Phil Jackson and his staff. Defense was an emphasis as was having great individual team defenders as well in Jordan, Pippen, Grant, Rodman, Stacey King even, Ron Harper, Bill Cartwright, Will Perdue, and a lot of swallowed whistles by the officials when the Bulls played too.

Defense most of the time too comes also by reputation...Some teams like the Pistons get calls or do not get calls called on them and are allowed to play to who they are defensively.

Even Skiles' Bulls got some respect in that regard as they were a fierce come from behind team. And it started on the defensive side of the ball.

So that factors in as well...having a defensive mentality and then forging a defensive reputation. It will take time, and yes you are right, the willingness of the players to challenge at that end of the court.

But lets not get it twisted too now... The NBA is full of great offensive teams who get out and push it. And the league has gotten younger and swifter as well so a team can get tired in spurts.

But you can still defend a team who does not know the fastest way to get in transition is the pass with either the baseball and bounce pass.

But we'll see...
JGeils
Assistant Coach
And1: 31

Post#12 » by JGeils » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:08 pm

Tex Winter, the ultimate defensive guru?

Jim Cleamons?

I think you mean Johnny Bach, and later, Jimmie Rodgers.
upnorthfan
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#13 » by upnorthfan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:28 pm

trwi7 wrote:I just hope that Potsie's sandals get some playing time.

I am going on record protesting the nickname "Potsie". If you're watching the game and all night the team and JA have been fighting and hustling all night, I would think he would deserve a better nick name. Those implied nick names are for players that play like Danny G.

As for what does protesting mean? I have no idea. I do feel better though having said it, lol.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks