carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Re: JS: Skiles Pleased With Redd 

Post#81 » by carmelbrownqueen » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:22 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
carmelbrownqueen wrote:Joana,

What is your primary language?

So far it seems to me that her primary language is... basketball.
And she seems fairly fluent in it ;)

We can always use an infusion of quality posters around here...

Oh I definitely agree... the posts I have read have been great. I was just curious since she mentioned English as a second language instead of primary.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,010

Post#82 » by Siefer » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:42 pm

Absolutely phenomenal post Joana. Your English is more than passable.

I agree that a player can only control what they do (i.e. contesting shots properly, helping on penetration, etc), but over the long run, statistics should reflect, at least in part, the quality of the defense. Sometimes the man you cover is going to make their shots, regardless of what you do, but if you're consistently fighting through screens, following through on penetration, and challenging shots, you increase the probability that the other player doesn't score, and stretched out over an entire season, that should be reflected in the numbers.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#83 » by europa » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:54 pm

Joana has owned this thread. Very well done.

Give her a blog and I'll sign right up. :)
Nothing will not break me.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#84 » by Joana » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:20 pm

My native language is Portuguese. Due to professional reasons, I have to speak a couple of others on a daily basis, so my English is always very close to the total oblivion. Reading (and now trying to write) Bucks related stuff will keep me in serviceable shape for the future, I hope. Thanks for the (undeserved) kind works.

"I agree that a player can only control what they do (i.e. contesting shots properly, helping on penetration, etc), but over the long run, statistics should reflect, at least in part, the quality of the defense. Sometimes the man you cover is going to make their shots, regardless of what you do, but if you're consistently fighting through screens, following through on penetration, and challenging shots, you increase the probability that the other player doesn't score, and stretched out over an entire season, that should be reflected in the numbers."

Sure, like many other things it can help to make better informed decisions/evaluations, but I'm generally afraid that they can be very misleading. While I generally profess an intense animosity towards relativist stances, in this case context is everything. I find the stats based on the counterparts production especially prone to be misleading and I wouldn't say that a season is enough - that's why one can verify sizable levels of variation from season to season regarding the same player. I prefer Dan Rosembaum's approach, btw.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks