ImageImage

Magic Need Third PG

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,972

Magic Need Third PG 

Post#1 » by drew881 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:28 pm

Ok, this thread is based on the wiretap news that the magic need a 3rd pg.

Trade:

Bucks give:

Damon Jones
Adrian Griffin
2nd round pick

Bucks get
JJ reddick
brian cook.

Why: Bucks get a backup SG and instant offense for our second unit (we've been complaining about this) and a bit more depth at PF.

Magic: They get their third pg, and two expiring contracts. Jones can contribute and will be happy on a playoff team. The magic love to bomb threes, and Reddick is unhappy in orlando anyway, even if they just picked up is option if i remember correctly.

Bucks Lineup

Ridnour, Lue, Sessions
Redd, Redick, Bell
Jefferson, Alexander, M&M
CV, Elson
Bogut, Gadzuric

Not sure if the magic would do it, since redick was originally a first round pick (11th overall), but I really don't think they need him.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Re: Magic Need Third PG 

Post#2 » by LUKE23 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:31 pm

I'd actually like to get Bogans. We need a guy like him off the bench. Maybe a Jones for Bogans/Foyle deal (both expiring).
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#3 » by carmelbrownqueen » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:56 pm

GAD can correct me here if I am wrong, but since it's being implied that teams don't want to pay Damon Jones entire salary.. that we could do a trade of Keith Bogan for Damon Jones, where we would pay the difference between salaries. However, I think we would still have to drop Adrian Griffin, which I am unsure SKiles is willing to do.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
JoeHova
Lead Assistant
And1: 61

Post#4 » by JoeHova » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:01 pm

I like the original deal. It probably wouldn't amount to anything, but maybe Redick or Cook could be useful in a way that we know Jones and Griffin won't be.

I don't know if the Magic would like the deal, but SVG had Damon in his starting lineup for (pretty much) a whole year, so maybe he still likes him.

As for Bogans, I'm not a fan, plus the Magic love him for some inexplicable reason. I think he's pretty useless. Yao and McGrady were hurt in 2006, but other than that, Bogans was the biggest reason the Rockets weren't competitive down the stretch. I can't even describe how painful it is to watch him play, imagine Reece Gaines, except he gets 32 MPG. He's a SG version of Royal Ivey, he just does nothing at all while he's on the court- no points, no boards, no assists, no steals, no blocks, nothing. Sure, he'll try to stay in front of his man, but so what?
"Look, if he sees me on his lawn waving a gun around, he's gonna pretend not to be home."
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#5 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:17 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:GAD can correct me here if I am wrong, but since it's being implied that teams don't want to pay Damon Jones entire salary.. that we could do a trade of Keith Bogan for Damon Jones, where we would pay the difference between salaries. However, I think we would still have to drop Adrian Griffin, which I am unsure SKiles is willing to do.

That implication should not be assumed to be nearly that broad.
It really depends on the deal. If we are talking about trading just Damon Jones for just another player with an expiring contract but who would be more useful to us than a 5th PG (Ridnour, Sessions, Lue, Bell, Jones) than we have made it known that we would be willing to include some amount of cash as well, obviously dependent on the specific trade.

If a team would be able to just absorb Damon Jones outright with a TPE, DPE, or cap space (fully or pratially in conjunction with sending us a player or two) that is another scenario where we would be willing to include some amount of cash.

As for a trade of Bogans for Damon Jones, that would not work. Bogans doesn't make enough to be traded straight up for Jones. Any inclusion of cash ($3 mil max), whether it be from us or them, would have no bearing on whether that trade could occur.

And since Griffin was brought up when talking about a potential trade, also keep in mind that his $1.711 mil salary is non-guaranteed. So any team acquiring him in a trade could just immediately (or at least prior to the start of the season) waive him without owing him any of that.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#6 » by carmelbrownqueen » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:23 pm

Thanks for the clarification GAD!
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#7 » by LUKE23 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:33 pm

Yeah, that's why I said Bogans/Foyle. It would be basically just swapping expiring deals, but the Magic maybe get somebody at a position where they can use them. Orlando has Turk, Pietrus and they are high on their rookie Lee all at the SG/SF spots. Foyle is about to retire from the sounds of it.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#8 » by emunney » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:04 pm

Man, that sucks for Mike Wilks. I've been there. I don't think my status as a Rufus King alumnus allows me to take advantage of this situation.

Nah, I was looking at this earlier and came to the same conclusion as Luke. Bogans and Foyle. I'd throw in a 2010 2nd. I'd be down with the original deal, too. Why not?

The added possibility of sending Griffin with Jones right now when he's still non-guaranteed has to at least be intriguing to somebody who's pushing up on the cap.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#9 » by raferfenix » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:34 pm

I wouldn't mind giving Brian Cook a shot to break into the rotation. I have little to no interest in Bogans or Foyle though, and would rather keep Damon on to see if he can be included in a deal for someone who would have more of a shot to break into the rotation.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks