ImageImage

Ersan Ilyasova Interview/October Euroleague Player of Month

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

oshmeehan
Banned User
And1: 0

Ersan Ilyasova Interview/October Euroleague Player of Month 

Post#1 » by oshmeehan » Wed Nov 5, 2008 1:43 am

If last season he returned from the U.S. looking tentative on-court as he re-learned the European game, one year later Ersan Ilyasova of Regal FC Barcelona seems exactly the opposite: a player who is sure of his every move, with or without the ball. With a highly efficient game that stands out for the sheer variety of things he does, the 21-year-old forward from Uzbekistan by way of Turkey made off with Euroleague Basketball's MVP of the month honor for October after leading Barcelona to a pair of blowout wins to start the season. Ilyasova needed no more than 23 minutes per game to put up averages of 16 points and 9 rebounds as Barcelona punctuated a busy month by handing mighty Panathinaikos one of its worst losses of the decade. After an October that saw Barça impress wherever it played on two sides of the Atlantic Ocean, Ilyasova knows that his award came from the efforts of many. "It was never mainly one player: my teammates helped me get this award, so I am happy," Ilyasova told Euroleague.net. "This is just the beginning and we are looking forward to doing more good things."

Ersan, congratulations on such a great start to the season. How does it feel to be chosen the Euroleague's MVP of the month of October?

"I am very excited, because the truth is I was not expecting some award like this. The most important thing is that the it's not just about me. If the whole team didn't do a good job, we wouldn't have won these games and that's what is most important. We did well in our first game against the French team in Nancy, but the effort against Panathinaikos was something special. It was never mainly one player. My teammates helped me get this award, so I am happy. This is just the beginning and we are looking forward to doing more good things."

It was a really busy month for your team, with long trips, two competitions starting, the visit to Los Angeles in the middle. How did you and your teammates stay so sharp?

"It could have been really tough, especially with the big time difference between the west coast of the United States and Europe right in the middle of the month. We adjusted well, though, because we tried to stay professional about it. When we were at home in Barcelona we worked hard to prepare, and I think we did well in the States. Our two games there were good for us, because we became more of a team just before we were to begin the Euroleague. It put us in a good position, and now everyone is playing well and looking forward to the challenge of trying to reach the Final Four."

What was your favorite part of everything that Barcelona accomplished in this month just finished?

"I think had to be last week’s game against Panathinaikos, being at home and playing so well against a good team with great players. To beat a team like that by almost 30 points doesn't happen every day. We made our open shots and stayed focused, the crowd was unbelievable. It made us feel good, everybody on the team, and this week we have to do the same against Siena, another great team."

The four-day trip to play two NBA teams a week before the Euroleague starts could have been be risky. How did your team come together, as you said?

"With the 12-hour flights and such a short time over there, it could have been a problem, but it was a question of attitude. The guys were pros about it, trying to help each other on the court, especially on the defensive end. Working that way helps a lot with chemistry when you are all on a long trip like that together."

Ersan Ilyasova - Regal FC BarcelonaThe next stop was the Euroleague opener at Nancy, and you in particular had a huge game with a double-double in just 23 minutes. How pumped up were you to start the Euroleague?

"That night I felt as happens sometimes to a player when you make a couple shots at the beginning of the game and you feel so hot that you don't think you can miss. I was in that kind of position right away., my teammates played off me a couple times and I scored a lot in a short time. After that, I just tried to do my job on the defensive and offensive boards. But like I said, it was not just me. We did a good job, the whole team, and showed ourselves that we could play well."

Then Panathinaikos came to Barcelona. What was the key to taking apart such a strong team in a blowout like Panathinaikos has not suffered in a long time?

"In the beginning, when the referees called a few fouls on our team, we were a bit frustrated, actually. But we got together and, as our coach told us, we stayed positive. It was mainly that, because soon we made some shots, got some defensive stops. We kept Jasikevicius and Diamantidis from scoring, and soon the game became easy for us. The crowd was unbelievable all the way through the game and even after. But it's just the beginning of the season and it doesn't matter more if we don't stay focused in the same way."

You have another big game on the road this week with Montepaschi. What do you think about that team?

"They have lots of good players who have been together and have the experience of playing in the Final Four last year. It's the same team, basically, but they have lots of talent. It's certainly not going to be easy at their place, but if we play good defense like we have until now, I think we are going to win the game. The key is to get the defensive stops as we have been."

What brought you back to Europe after you had shown promise in the NBA?

"The first idea was to get playing time. I thought I could improve more playing basketball in Europe than in the NBA. There's more practice and I was expecting more minutes, and all I wanted to do was improve and go forward in my career."

A year after coming back, how do you feel about the decision to take your career to the Euroleague?

"Right now, I feel much better. At this time last year, our coach didn't give me the minutes I needed. Now I get them and I have more confidence because the coach has confidence in me to be on the floor a lot. I just try to show what I can do in those minutes. I try to bring my best all game and try to help the team win. It doesn't matter if that happens on offense or with defense and rebounds. As long as I can contribute like I know how to do."

Ersan Ilyasova - Regal FC BarcelonaBesides being on the floor more, what turned things around for you at the end of last season in Barcelona?

"At the beginning of the season, I was playing the three position. Later, when they put me at the four, it felt much easier for me to play against bigger guys. I felt quicker and tried to use that to my advantage in the games. That helped a lot. Now, I am trying to build on that. In the summer with my national team, I spent a lot of time trying to improve my ballhandling, and I am seeing the results of that now."

You mentioned the Final Four. Is that uppermost in your mind this season, reaching Berlin next spring?

"That's our main goal for this season, yes. Of course, we plan to challenge for all the trophies we can, but this team spent lots of money on our players and our fans are waiting for great things for us. We want the same, too."

http://www.euroleague.net/features/inte ... /37473/179

Here is a video link as well: http://euroleague2008.infrontams.biz/pu ... hp?id=1932
Mike X
Starter
And1: 13

Re: Ersan Ilyasova Interview/October Euroleague Player of Month 

Post#2 » by Mike X » Wed Nov 5, 2008 2:27 am

Excellent, well done Easy-E.

Really good to hear he actually prefers to play agaisnt power players. We must find out what the Bucks brass think about his development this year.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#3 » by El Duderino » Wed Nov 5, 2008 2:30 am

Do we still own his NBA rights?
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#4 » by carmelbrownqueen » Wed Nov 5, 2008 2:35 am

From my understanding (I'm sure GAD or Fam can correct me if I am stating it wrong), we still own his rights and he supposedly still owns his home in Mequon.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#5 » by fam3381 » Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:06 am

Yes, we still have his rights. So long as we're over the cap there's zero incentive not to keep his cap hold every offseason. And even if we did have cap space (like the summer before last), his cap hold is less than a million so it's not a big burden.

Remember what Babcock told Chuck Diesel this summer:

Babcock maintains that Ilyasova is still very much in the Bucks plans, and quite possibly would have been back with the team this summer if money weren't an issue. "If our financial situation was better we would have re-signed him," stated Babcock. "Everybody here likes him. Our hope is to get (Ilyasova) back with the Bucks next year."

http://www.brewhoop.com/2008/7/31/58347 ... square-off
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#6 » by LUKE23 » Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:29 am

God we have drafted amazing in the 2nd round.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#7 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:11 pm

We honestly need to just start trading our first round picks for second round picks. We could have traded #8 for #31 easily.

Kidding of course, but Luke's right - our 2nd round picks have been simply ridiculous. Redd, Sessions, PLRMAM, Ilyasova, even Gadzuric is good for a 2nd rounder. Markota was great at looking like a dinosaur too.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#8 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:38 pm

adamcz wrote:
Kidding of course, but Luke's right - our 2nd round picks have been simply ridiculous. Redd, Sessions, PLRMAM, Ilyasova, even Gadzuric is good for a 2nd rounder. Markota was great at looking like a dinosaur too.

Don't forget about Rafer Alston, Jason Hart, Ronald Murray, and Keith Bogans. All guys who are still getting minutes in the Association, and who were selected by the Bucks in the second round.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,021

Post#9 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:40 pm

Good players. It'd be nice to hit on one of those first rounders.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#10 » by bigkurty » Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:40 pm

I wonder where Ilyasova would be drafted if he came out now. I would have to think top 10.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#11 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:43 pm

Perhaps next season Ersan will be brought back to replace Villanueva at PF.

Ridnour
Redd
Jefferson
Ersan
Bogut
Sessions
Bell
Mbah A Moute
backup center

That could be a good 9 man rotation right there. We'd be smaller at PF with Ersan and Mbah A Moute getting most/all of those minutes, but perhaps that will work out for us.

And between Gadzuric, Damon Jones, a possible Villanueva S&T, and Joe Alexander, we could engineer a trade or two to improve that backup center position and add better depth to the roster.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#12 » by carmelbrownqueen » Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:47 pm

I was thinking the same thing GAD (regarding Ersan replacing CV), but I would imagine that Hammond would probably still look for another big man to help with solidifying the PF positon in that scenerio.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#13 » by LUKE23 » Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:51 pm

I am hoping we either draft a big or a wing scorer in the next draft (not saying I want us to reach for a position, just saying I'm hoping BPA is one of those two spots).
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#14 » by crkone » Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:52 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:I was thinking the same thing GAD (regarding Ersan replacing CV), but I would imagine that Hammond would probably still look for another big man to help with solidifying the PF positon in that scenerio.

I would think that they would go for a vet minimum player like a Malik Allen.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#15 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed Nov 5, 2008 3:59 pm

I love Ersan, but I don't know if I want him to replace Villanueva. I think Ersan would be perfect in a James Posey-ish role off the bench. Villanueva brings a different style to the game. In fact, with improved defense he is really the prototypical modern NBA power forward.

And, I want to judge Villanueva based off this season, not the past. Everybody on the team should get that privilege.

But yeah, I'm with you GAD. Our top 7 or 8 guys right now are pretty good, but that could still use a little evaluation.

I'd say that right now...

Sessions
Redd
Jefferson
LRMAM
Bogut

...are locks. And, I'm close to putting Villanueva in that catagory. I need to see more of Ridnour, see if Bell can get healthy and bounce back, and if Gadz can produce.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#16 » by LUKE23 » Wed Nov 5, 2008 4:03 pm

Looking at next year's roster, we are losing Lue (thank god), but still have Allen and Elson under contract.

So we have:

Ridnour
Redd
Jefferson
Bogut
LRMAM
Sessions
Bell
Alexander
Gadzuric
Allen
Elson
1st rounder

That is 12 already. If you add Ilyasova, there is 13. We obviously don't know what happens with CV, but he'd be 14. If our second rounder makes the team, then there is your roster. Either way, our depth should be significantly better next year, adding another first rounder to the mix and Ilyasova, and possibly only losing nobody or just CV of guys that can actually play basketball.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#17 » by bigkurty » Wed Nov 5, 2008 4:25 pm

^
I would rather trade some pieces to try and bring in a legit PF than add depth like that which still sucks for the most part. IMO, you have many pieces to trade including LUE, Jones, CV, Gadz, Bell, one of Redd or RJ, Allen, or Elson, Alexander, and future draft pics and hell Ridnour too if Sessions keeps playing well.

The only people I really care about keeping for the foreseeable future at this point are Sessions, Moute, Bogut, Ersan, and one of Redd or RJ and preferably RJ. I could also still see keeping Alexander if you really believe in his potential however I would not hold back from trading him if he brought you back a legit player.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#18 » by LUKE23 » Wed Nov 5, 2008 4:31 pm

I don't see Redd/RJ being moved at all until their expiration year.

We do have a total of $8M in expirings we could look to move for frontcourt depth this year in Lue/Jones/Croshere.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,533

Post#19 » by raferfenix » Wed Nov 5, 2008 6:53 pm

See I think we are going to trade Redd which will change a lot of this up. I just don't see Hammond thinking it's worth it to invest that much money in Redd when he's already paying Jefferson and Bogut so much while they fit our team that much better.

Furthermore, even if Sessions' D improves we need a more defensive minded player next to him anyways. Ridnour's D is nothign to write home about either. Maybe Hammond and Skiles are ok with going through this season without the potential for being a great defensive team, but I don't see them being ok with that much longer.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#20 » by Newz » Wed Nov 5, 2008 6:58 pm

People on here are hoping Ersan will come in and replace CV... or at least take a big chunk of his minutes?

Does anyone remember when he played here? He was a clumbsy turnover machine who was too slow to guard 3's and too small to guard 4's. He also shot a miserable percentage from the field.

Let's hope he can come back and be a good 12th man before we talk about giving him big minutes in our rotation. He didn't look like he belonged anywhere close to the NBA the last time he was playing here.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks