RealGM
And1: 42

Bucks blog: CV determines his playing time 

Post#1 » by carmelbrownqueen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:04 am

Charlie V. back in the mix
By Tom Enlund of the Journal Sentinel
Nov. 23, 2008 5:52 p.m.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/34964314.html

Orlando – Now that Bucks forward Charlie Villanueva has returned from a hamstring injury, what does the future hold for him?

To hear coach Scott Skiles tell it, that’s pretty much up to Villanueva.

“It depends on how he plays,” said Skiles. “I’m a pretty big believer that players determine playing time, not coaches. I know that’s not what the fans think and what a lot of people think, but it’s absolutely true.”

In Saturday’s victory in Charlotte, Villanueva scored 15 points and grabbed eight rebounds with four turnovers. He made only three-of-11 shots but sank all eight of his free throws which enhanced the Bucks’ decisive edge at the foul line.

With the Bucks struggling offensively and trailing by seven, Skiles brought Villanueva off the bench late in the first quarter and Villanueva scored six points to help the Bucks rally and take a one-point lead into the second quarter. Villanueva entered the game 1 minute into the third quarter with the Bucks leading by one. He played the rest of the quarter, scoring nine points and turning the ball over twice, and the Bucks took a 10-point lead into the fourth quarter. Villanueva missed all five of his shots in the fourth quarter but had five rebounds.

In Friday night’s home victory over New York, Villanueva scored 20 points in 13 minutes.

“That (New York) game was a good-type game for him,” said Skiles. “He had small people covering him and he’s such a good scorer that he took them down low and went to work on them which is what he should do. When he does that it’s obvious he’s very, very valuable.”

Just before he suffered his hamstring injury, Villanueva had lost his starting job to rookie Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Villanueva continues to come off the bench. But Skiles, at this point, doesn’t rule anything where Villanueva is concerned. Villanueva’s ability to score has never been questioned so it will probably be how he defends and executes that will determine how and when he is utilized.

“He could start again at some point,” said Skiles. “We’ll just see how he plays.”

The Bucks will continue their four-game trip with a game against the Orlando Magic Monday night at Amway Arena.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Re: Bucks blog: CV determines his playing time 

Post#2 » by carmelbrownqueen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:26 am

We all know that CV's ability to reclaim his starting job depends on his commitment to play defense, but I found the following quotes interesting because Skiles is finally admitting to his reasoning. Prior to this he blamed much of his decision to put CV on the bench as something "arbitrary" even through we all suspected otherwise. It's clear this isn't an "arbitrary" thing and based on his play he is going to stay on that bench until he starts playing the way Skiles wants him too. I also suspect that CV's position with this team will continue to be evaluated and somewhat tenous at best because his consistent commitment to play the way Skiles wants him to is always in question.

In the NY game, he played some defense during a few long stretches and you could see how valuable he is to this team, but then he seemed to revert and make a lot of mental mistakes in parts of the NY game and much of the Bobcats game which said to me that he still doesn't get it. Right now we really need his scoring, but I just don't know about him sometimes. There's no way he should let rookies beat him out of position like this and I have to think it's more of a mental thing than anything else with him.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,044

Post#3 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:30 am

carmelbrownqueen wrote: Right now we really need his scoring, but I just don't know about him sometimes. .

Sometimes? Sometimes?? Your more consistent on this than the atomic clock in Fort Collins, Colorado 8-)
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#4 » by carmelbrownqueen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:43 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
carmelbrownqueen wrote: Right now we really need his scoring, but I just don't know about him sometimes. .

Sometimes? Sometimes?? Your more consistent on this than the atomic clock in Fort Collins, Colorado 8-)

:lol: There are games where I am watching him play and he is doing all the things the coach has wanted him to do (scoring the basketball in the mid post and low post, rebounding, blocking shots, making good decisions when passing the ball, playing a semblance of defense, etc.) that I think perhaps he's finally "getting it" only for him to return to the stuff that makes me want to trade him for whatever we can get. Honestly the guy puzzles me. I have no idea why he just can't put it together and focus on playing to his capabilities. I know he idolizes Reggie Miller and models his game after him more than the big men he should be more emulating.. but I just don't get where is his concentration goes during games? Does the guy need Ridalin or Adderal? Does he have short term memory issues? Or is he just stubborn in thinking "I'm going to do what I want to do regardless of what I am told?" I really just don't get it, and I have never gotten it. I have never understood why he just can't commit. So yeah I have been consistent in my irritation with him (and that's truly what it is) but that's because I seriously can't figure the guy out.

BDUB_30
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by BDUB_30 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:53 am

carmelbrownqueen wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

:lol: There are games where I am watching him play and he is doing all the things the coach has wanted him to do (scoring the basketball in the mid post and low post, rebounding, blocking shots, making good decisions when passing the ball, playing a semblance of defense, etc.) that I think perhaps he's finally "getting it" only for him to return to the stuff that makes me want to trade him for whatever we can get. Honestly the guy puzzles me. I have no idea why he just can't put it together and focus on playing to his capabilities. I know he idolizes Reggie Miller and models his game after him more than the big men he should be more emulating.. but I just don't get where is his concentration goes during games? Does the guy need Ridalin or Adderal? Does he have short term memory issues? Or is he just stubborn in thinking "I'm going to do what I want to do regardless of what I am told?" I really just don't get it, and I have never gotten it. I have never understood why he just can't commit. So yeah I have been consistent in my irritation with him (and that's truly what it is) but that's because I seriously can't figure the guy out.

exactally .

thats where im at as well ..

he opens the season and hes taking charges , making these great passes , passing up open long range bombs for a closer look etc etc .

and it makes ya wonder , who the hell is this guy ?

then he comes out and hes doing none of them things at all ... Im of the beleif that you can play this game and make good passes ,take charges , box out , and move your feet every single night .. no one can say they had a " bad night " passing the ball .. :lol: Sure the shot comes and goes , i dont critisize to much for missing shots ( unless their conistanty contested )..

but going from one side of the spectrum to the other in regards to effort plays is mind boggling .. i guess some nights he feels like it , and some nights he doesnt ..conditioning could be an issue ...

but what i do know is the less " if " guys our team has , the better we are ...need pros we can rely on and not guys who come and go with the teams concept as they feel ..
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#6 » by europa » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:56 am

carmelbrownqueen wrote:Honestly the guy puzzles me. I have no idea why he just can't put it together and focus on playing to his capabilities.

Some guys just don't have the drive to succeed. Tim Thomas was like that. There wasn't anything on the court Thomas couldn't do. As Ray Allen once said, he was one of the most talented players in the entire league. But talent only gets you so far. And it won't take you anywhere if you're not willing to push yourself to really be great. I don't think Villanueva has that. Given how the problem has been constant dating back to his college days, I'm not sure he ever will get it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucks are just hoping he plays relatively well so he makes himself valuable to someone at the trade deadline.
Nothing will not break me.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#7 » by El Duderino » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:56 am

This should be no surprise to anyone once Skiles became the coach. I don't see Villanueva starting another game the rest of the year unless Mbah a Moute gets hurt and CV shouldn't because Mbah a Moute is a better all around player.

We can use Villanueva's scoring off the bench though, so the PF situation looks much better now than i expected going into the season. Mbah a Moute is undersized for a starting PF, but he's still done a fine job overall and on nights the offense is lacking, Villanueva can bring some much needed scoring off the bench. Plus, between the two guys, the Bucks have at least got good rebounding from the PF position.

As the season progresses, Villanueva will likely have fairly erratic minutes. From game to game, depending on matchups, scoring needs of the team, and the play of both Mbah a Moute/Villanueva will all dictate the number of minutes Villanueva gets. Sounds reasonable to me and one extra bonus of the stellar play by Mbah a Moute is it took away the majority of Malik Allen's minutes. Between Mbah a Moute and Villanueva at PF, it's largely kept Allen locked on the bench which is a great sign.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#8 » by xTitan » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:20 am

I always though CV was more like Cliff Robinson of the old Blazers, so his scoring punch off the bench is his best role IMO.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,044

Post#9 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:05 am

Cliff Robinson is a pretty good comparison....at least as far as how effective the guy is as a player, although I think CV has more talent if he applied himself. But alas he doesn't.

I think CV has played great these last two games. The problem is that I'm sure he'll go back into his shell here at some point before Saturday and put up some stinkers where he sleepwalks on the court and Skiles pulls him after 3 minutes.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#10 » by eagle13 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:11 pm

Skiles or Hammond should write a message on his locker in permanent ink -
"Big new contract? Only if Big effort Defense."

Of course if it worked and he played decent D and was valuable - I'd give him a new contract in a S&T. There is no way no matter how good he plays I want him on this team next year w/ a big contract. I just don't trust him.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#11 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:17 pm

xTitan wrote:I always though CV was more like Cliff Robinson of the old Blazers, so his scoring punch off the bench is his best role IMO.
This is a bad comparison!
I don't see Charlie Villanueva as being ANYTHING LIKE CLIFF ROBINSON whatsover! In fact, he may be the exact opposite in many ways then they are similiar!

Clifford Robinson was an energy player who 'got it,' and he could play defense, rebound, and knew his role! Clifford also had a great mid-range game until he started falling in love with the 3 ball late in his career...

But he could play. And he played hard and was very durable. Clifford was rarely hurt with a hangnail or minor injuries like CVill is. You never questioned whether he had his head in the game or he did not come prepared to compete and battle his opponent.

In fact, at times he got too hyped up when he was playing and always guarded the other teams top scoring wing. Go to the Portland board and ask if he reminds them of Villanueva and would probaly laugh you off their board...

I am not sure I get Clifford Robinson mixed up with Jerome Kersey but Clifford Robinson was a very good player on both ends of the floor every night in my opinion.

Nothing like Villanuva at all! Not in court temperment, body language, and doing the little things it would take to win and play big. I am curious as to what your comparison is between the two?

Charlie reminds me more of a glorified Brad Sellers or low end Donyell Marshall....hang out players.
They hang out around the 3pt arc and do not like to mix it up and banged around much...but not Clifford Robinson at least early on in his career.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks