OT: Eddie Jordan fired

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,003

OT: Eddie Jordan fired 

Post#1 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:38 pm

Second coach in a week to go down. Wiz have started 1-10.

I don't know what these people in OK City or Washington expect. The Thunder are extremely young at their key positions, the Wizards are without Arenas and Haywood and don't have much outside of Butler and Jamison.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Re: OT: Eddie Jordan fired 

Post#2 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:46 pm

The sports economist who shall not be named has been writing recently about the (non) impact of most head coaches. There is a small handful of elite coaches who genuinely make their players play better, and an even smaller handful who make their players worse. Most coaches seem to have no impact on player performance. That theory seems to mesh pretty well with what we see out there in the NBA: a never-ending game of musical chairs which seems to have little impact on team records.

Maybe the GMs know that it doesn't matter, but think that they can help out ticket sales if they look like they're trying to do something pro-active.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#3 » by EastSideBucksFan » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:57 pm

adamcz wrote:The sports economist who shall not be named has been writing recently about the (non) impact of most head coaches. There is a small handful of elite coaches who genuinely make their players play better, and an even smaller handful who make their players worse. Most coaches seem to have no impact on player performance.

Well, the Bucks seem to have had the kind of coaches who make their players worse.

And sure, most coaches can't impact a certain players performance, but they certainly impact team performance.

I don't think you can tell a Bucks fan that coaches don't matter. Especially after watching three rookie coaches fumble through the last 5 years and now seeing what an experienced coach can do, there is no doubt in my mind that having an intelligent, experienced head coach makes all the difference.
More Bang For The Bucks
Starter
And1: 0

Post#4 » by More Bang For The Bucks » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:57 pm

Gilbert finally gave Ernie permission to drop the hammer
by LUKE23 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am
I certainly wouldn't be dancing in the streets or bestowing a bunch of praise on Hammond though.
It's like taking three huge dumps on your kitchen floor, then cleaning up one of them.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,026

Post#5 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:58 pm

I've never really understood what the Wizards were trying to do that last number of years here. No one on that team really is very compelling as a player and then they compound things by giving agent zero $20+ million a year.

I think Kohl was correct in letting Grunfeld go. Not correct in taking over himself afterwards mind you, but correct with Ernie. Ernie tosses the money out too blindly for crap that can score. Interesting that Kohl, Grunfeld and Harris all hung out together so long.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
THE DINJ
Starter
And1: 121

Post#6 » by THE DINJ » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:01 pm

And we have yet to have our first Fire Skiles thread.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#7 » by Rockmaninoff » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Coaching success on the NBA level comes down to having talented professionals who are coachable. NBA coaches are more managers than teachers. The good ones are probably worth about 4 wins a season, and the bad ones worth about 4 losses, and the average not having much effect. I just made those numbers up, but it feels right.

Eddie Jordan was a good coach. That Washington team always seemed well prepared and they regularly overachieved. They played a nice little Princeton set and paid attention on defense. The injury situation wasn't Jordan's fault, but like we've seen with the Bucks, it's helpful to have a scapegoat.

If Porter can get another shot, then Jordan will as well. I can think of a couple teams that would benefit from him.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,131

Post#8 » by jokeboy86 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Grunfield could give Wizards fans some hope if he makes a call to Avery Johnson right now. He would be the best head coaching hire they've made in a while. They might not do anything this year but if I were Grunfield I would get him now while its early.

I still think Chicago will give Del Negro one year if he doesn't make the playoffs with that Bulls talent. The way Miami and Chicago hired their coaches this year reminds me alot of the Larry K hire with the Bucks. If those coaches don't make the playoffs they're basically gone.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#9 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:23 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
adamcz wrote:The sports economist who shall not be named has been writing recently about the (non) impact of most head coaches. There is a small handful of elite coaches who genuinely make their players play better, and an even smaller handful who make their players worse. Most coaches seem to have no impact on player performance.

Well, the Bucks seem to have had the kind of coaches who make their players worse.

And sure, most coaches can't impact a certain players performance, but they certainly impact team performance.

I don't think you can tell a Bucks fan that coaches don't matter. Especially after watching three rookie coaches fumble through the last 5 years and now seeing what an experienced coach can do, there is no doubt in my mind that having an intelligent, experienced head coach makes all the difference.
ESBF, you seem to be confirming what I said - that most coaches do not have an impact on player perforamnce (and contrary to what you imply, there is no team performance without player performance). As Bucks fans, we went through a new coach each year, and didn't improve; nor did players perform way below their expectations. I'm not saying that coaches don't matter - I'm saying that very few coaches are good enough or bad enough to make a difference.

If you try to make a list of all the coaches who could go to any team and get those players performing to their highest potential, you'd see for yourself what the deal is. There are probably only 5 or 6 coaches like that in the NBA. Whether Skiles is one of them, I'm not sure - he seems to be doing a great job so far.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#10 » by Epicurus » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:32 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:

You have no evidence of course for saying that the previous three Bucks coaches made their players worse, except from your " well-trained" observations, do you?

How in the hell do you affect team performance but not players' performance? Simply impossible, to not find improved team play within the output of players.

Thus far the Bucks record at 15 games, 7-8, is exactly the same as it was under two of the previous three coach's initial year, and the other's team went 9-6 at the 15 game mark. As I was told many times over the last three years that only wins matter, it is surprising to see a different standard now being used. No I am joking-not surprising at all, given the past special pleadings of some posters.
JoeHova
Lead Assistant
And1: 61

Post#11 » by JoeHova » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:36 pm

jokeboy86 wrote:I still think Chicago will give Del Negro one year if he doesn't make the playoffs with that Bulls talent. The way Miami and Chicago hired their coaches this year reminds me alot of the Larry K hire with the Bucks. If those coaches don't make the playoffs they're basically gone.

That likely isn't true in Miami's case. Spoelstra has been Riley's protege/boy-genius for awhile. He's also beloved by Wade. They'll give him a couple years. The only scenario where I see him getting fired anytime soon is if the Heat become a title contender and Riley wants yet another bite at the apple (like what happened to SVG).

As for Eddie Jordan, all I know about him is what I've learned from the Wizards board over the years and they seem to hate him over there. He seems kind of like their Ned Yost, in other words a guy who has overseen dramatic improvement in the fortunes of the franchise, but who is a bit of a dope when it comes to playing the correct players and who seems like a bit of an ineffectual milquetoast.
"Look, if he sees me on his lawn waving a gun around, he's gonna pretend not to be home."
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#12 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:46 pm

I was surprised by the Carliesimo firing, this one, not so much. Jordan is pretty terrible, kinda basketball's version of Ned Yost.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#13 » by Rockmaninoff » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:07 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:I was surprised by the Carliesimo firing, this one, not so much. Jordan is pretty terrible, kinda basketball's version of Ned Yost.

So, do you think Carlesimo is/was a better coach then Jordan? Or is it just the circumstance surrounding their firings?
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#14 » by carmelbrownqueen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:21 pm

THE DINJ wrote:And we have yet to have our first Fire Skiles thread.
There's no need for one, I think he has done a really good job and I'm happy that Hammond and crew were quick and decisive about grabbing him up this past summer. Imagine the bidding war that would have gone on for him if the Bucks hadn't made the move to get him?
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#15 » by REDDzone » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:45 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:And sure, most coaches can't impact a certain players performance, but they certainly impact team performance.

:lol:
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#16 » by Mags FTW » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Who's next, Sam Mitchell?
MetroDrugUnit
Sixth Man
And1: 46

Post#17 » by MetroDrugUnit » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:23 pm

The Wizards are absolutly terrible. That organization right now is a joke and it's clearly being run by Agent Zero. They let Rodger Mason go to the Spurs for next to nothing. So long as Gilbert is there they go nowhere. I feel bad for Caron, Ernie needs to send him back to the Mother Land
MetroDrugUnit
Sixth Man
And1: 46

Post#18 » by MetroDrugUnit » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:26 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:
THE DINJ wrote:And we have yet to have our first Fire Skiles thread.
Imagine the bidding war that would have gone on for him if the Bucks hadn't made the move to get him?

Yah, it would have been like the Reggie White Sweepstakes
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#19 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:10 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:
WEFFPIM wrote:I was surprised by the Carliesimo firing, this one, not so much. Jordan is pretty terrible, kinda basketball's version of Ned Yost.

So, do you think Carlesimo is/was a better coach then Jordan? Or is it just the circumstance surrounding their firings?

Circumstance. Carlesimo's job was to help develop a young roster this season. They were not going to win any games. The Wizards, with Jamison and Butler alone, should be a lot better than 1-10 right now.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#20 » by EastSideBucksFan » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:16 pm

[quote="Epicurus" No I am joking-not surprising at all, given the past special pleadings of some posters.[/quote]

NEWSFLASH:

We don't care about anything Terry Stotts related anymore.

Although I still find it hilarious you continue to be on a mission to clear his name.

He was a bad head coach for a bad basketball team.

End of story.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks