ImageImage

Years Later...Are Bucks' Under 'The MJ Hold?'

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Years Later...Are Bucks' Under 'The MJ Hold?' 

Post#1 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:33 am

On the heels of this great trade by the Bobcats team President Michael Jordan it got me to thinking back when MJ was almost the owner of our Milwaukee Bucks!

My entire outlook, and dare I say all out devotion and fervor dwindled considerably on the heels of that hideous Ray Allen trade. Then again with the Gary Payton stiff. And then there was the great team revolt against George Karl in the backed in playoffs against the Pistons the year the Bucks set an NBA record for going from first to worse and simply quit on us a year after going to the NBA Finals led by nutty Sam Cassell!

But the Cardinal sin and mother of all gaffes happen and the Bucks had the audacity to rebuff MJ's efforts to purchase the Bucks' as Kohl granted him a 'token shot ' at minority ownership for the icon or all icon's who actually wanted to honor us to come run our team!

This was the last straw in my Bucks fandom. The cold Michael Jordan rejection or ownership that I thought would bring us back to the top of the NBA and make us relevant if not intriguing again.

It was the perfect time I thought for Kohl to sell the team to Jordan an outsider just like Selig sold the team to Attansio and the Brewers have not looked back since, even eventually bringing in CC to get to the postseason!

They have a new ballpark thanks to Selig, and who is to say that on name alone much less net worth MJ could not have forged the Bucks ahead with Ulice Payne to get a new arena and start a new era for Bucks basketball!?

Today the Bobcats are attempting to atleast try to assemble a team after waiting to see that it did not work (unlike Bucks). MJ is showing he can make deals too, which was fake concern of many of you not in favor of Jordan being owner. citing his mistakes in Washington with Hamilton and Kwame and others...

But today Jordan and Bobcats have made a move to bring in two proven team players and winning professionals Raja Bell and Boris Diaw, as As they also look to then sign veteran PF Juwan Howard another proven veteran, with still more moves to come perhaps of Wallace, Morrison and Carroll for head caoch Larry brown, as MJ tries to shape a team in his coaches image and expertise.

I begin looking at the Bucks and asked myself why can't we do that? And also how might have things been different 6 years ago had Senator Herb Kohl sold the team to Michael Jordan and stepped aside like Selig did with the Brewers. Surely things would have been TOTALLY DIFFERENT! But how different is up for debate, conversation, and speculation...and makes for as interesting a topic as i can invent at this time.

I began to remember when my fervor for the Bucks began to wane and when I really started going downhill after they traded Ray Allen and then two years later, they did the unthinkable....

The made the Cardinal sin or high treason in my book when Senator Kohl entertained offers to sale the team to NBA legend and Megastar Michael Jordan and almost had deal and then 'changed his mind' and refused to seal the deal and sale this team to Michael Jordan about 6 years ago.

From that day forward you must admit, (don't lie!) we have been in a total drought and I want to say a downright curse of sorts! I recall I fought tooth and nail when many of you said this franchise cannot go to an incompetant Jordan. You pointed to what he did or could not do in Washington as your example (as if that means anything!?)to stay clear of this guy.

I for one...THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE THE BEST DEAL IN WISCONSIN SPORTS HISTORY even at the risk of this team leaving. We got the greatest player of all time running the show and bringing in Stars! Just like Jerry West and Larry Bird! I felt it was a chance worth taking to win a title which Jordan might have been motivated to get done here, and possibly even gotten a new arena deal!

The very issues we are complaining about this very hour, right from that moment former GM Ernie Grunfeld (or Larry Harris?) drafted TJ Ford, and then he hit the door, we have been in a downward spiral since then and cursed to this very hour! You know it's true...

Look at the facts for yourself. The Bucks have not been any better without him at all. Many have to admit they might have been wrong about this in hindsight. I know none of you will admit it but all i ask is just think about it...

We should have sold the team to Michael Jordan. Bottom line. It was that simple to me then and even more now. I know right away some of you say he would have moved it to this or there...But David Stern said he would not! You then would point to Seattle and say, 'what about them?' But I think that is a different story.

All I know and see are the facts...4 coaches since then, only one playoff appearance and playoff win and 4 lottery finishes in those 6 years! Pitiful. A host of shoddy player acquisitions and meddlesome involvement by the owner. So you still think we would have been worse off?

We would have probaly have a better roster of players, a new arena deal perhaps with Potowatomi and a winning team had Jordan bought the Bucks. Yes he probaly would have done things his way and he might have even moved the team which I doubt, but what difference does it make.

A losing team is dead wieght anyways in todays sports market. But regardless to what anyone says, I think since that day we have been hit with the 'Jordan Curse.' Many franchises can point to a move or trade or deal they made or did not made that shaped or altered the course of history and their fortunes...

The Bucks' 'Jordan Jinx' I will call it, might one day rival the Cubs' and the 'Billy Goat Curse' or the RedSox and the 'Curse of the Bambino' or perhaps newer ones have started with the Brewers and the curse of CC Sabathia' or for the Packers and "the curse of 'Brett Favre!?" LOL....

I don't really believe in such things myself, I rather be blessed then cursed. But, I am just saying...
Man I wish we were more ...Like Mike. Remember that commercial?

"Like Mike, If I could be like Mike." :roll: My sisters likes to say when I act silly, "stop boy! God dont like ugly!" Well perhaps the so called sports gods or basketball god's if you will were not happy when we spurned Mike Jordan. Look at our 'success' ever since hey? Ah, fate...a mysterious thing...

Seriously though, In closing, you can all relax he is not coming here. But he should have. It has just been a total downhill 'free fall' since then and has not abated. Admit it!

You know it is true....

Now discuss.
Bucksjam
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Years Later...Are Bucks' Under 'The MJ Hold?' 

Post#2 » by Bucksjam » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:43 am

Yeah MBBOWT...it's really a shame...about MJ...

Any kind of new insight at that point of time...might have made a big difference...

It would have made the rivalry between the Bucks & Bulls...amazingly wild...also...

I hope the trade works out for MJ....He's overdue for a BREAK in his management career...

After all...He's still carrying around the albatross that is KWAME BROWN...wherever he may go...!!!
BDUB_30
Banned User

Post#3 » by BDUB_30 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:21 am

:lol:

youre reaching on this one man . seriously

have we come full circle on this forum in regards to critsisms ..?

meaning , we are even critsizing the moves that looked like they were the right ones ? Getting sick of beating the dead horses so we just pull out a cow and kick the **** out of it ?

i could see the merit of this theory if mj was at all sucsessful , but hes not! Yet the bucks made the wrong move ..?

The Bobcats , the nbas model franchise .. one can only dream .

If your post was served as my dinner i would bring it back to the chef and ask him what the hell is wrong with him.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,039

Post#4 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:47 pm

I wonder how many new threads can people make on this forum. The TI thread are one thing cause I know people would otherwise be bored but why not just comment on an current topic which is similar to your comments. I mean I think we can agree most of our topics are really not all different from another.

Its funny how people regard you as the crazy uncle of this board and I fell into this trap today but I see most people ignore your comments no matter how long or how many smilies you add. Your "pigs can fly" type comments are very amusing though. Keep it up.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,183

Post#5 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:25 pm

Yeah MJ has really shown he can run a team. In Washington and Charlotte. Great job, just what I want for us.

MJ was a great player but I don't want him anywhere near the Bucks.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Bucksjam
Junior

Post#6 » by Bucksjam » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:14 pm

Honestly...I don't see why there is such a pissy little attitude...with the concept of MJ...

LOOK BACK...and take hold of reality...my friends...

the Bucks have not even been a glimmer of a decent franchise since 2001...

really, I could get a bum off the streets, or a kid out of kindergarten...to roll the dice...with our moves over the last 8 years...and still have the same exact futile results...

It's really something that keeps this board hopping...Our relentless frustration, of seeing bonehead after bonehead, decisions...which even resulted in your successful BAG NIGHT last season...

We are a sad lot...indeed...but we do have our dreams...of emerging from this wreckage some day!!!

(oh yeah...Mickey...thanks for not banning me...for my Christmas message...I do hope to put it up on RealGm in some way...at some time...Maybe I will save it for next year...when I have my own web-site into place...thanks again...Mick...and merry christmas...)
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,994

Post#7 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:23 pm

Bucksjam wrote:Our relentless frustration, of seeing bonehead after bonehead, decisions

The problem is that even after our relentless bonehead decisions we still own the Bobcats on the court. That says something about Jordan.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Bucksjam
Junior

Post#8 » by Bucksjam » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:29 pm

...that's not saying much...putting a hurting...on an expansion club...like Charlotte...

I guess our glorious record against the Memphis Grizzlies also...gives us a proud moment to bask in every year...both at the BC...and even in the Mississippi Delta...crushing them in poor Memphis...

(and I believe they even brought in GM Legend, Jerry West, for mucho dinero...trying to keep that bunch of bozos, from getting even worse...)
blueedwards
Banned User

Post#9 » by blueedwards » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:06 pm

If MJ owned the Bucks this season we be worst in the league hoping for the #1 pick already.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#10 » by WEFFPIM » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:07 pm

I tried reading through this whole thing and couldn't do it.

1. It was not a great trade by Michael Jordan. It was beyond head-scratching.
2. The Bucks did not go to the NBA Finals, nor set a record from going first to WORSE.
3. This was not the last straw in your Bucks fandom, as you are still here.
4. Michael Jordan had no motivation to keep the Bucks here. If he became owner the team would already be gone.

Four "paragraphs." That's all I could get through.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User

Post#11 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:08 am

BDUB_30 wrote::lol:

youre reaching on this one man . seriously

have we come full circle on this forum in regards to critsisms ..?

meaning , we are even critsizing the moves that looked like they were the right ones ? Getting sick of beating the dead horses so we just pull out a cow and kick the **** out of it ?

i could see the merit of this theory if mj was at all sucsessful , but hes not! Yet the bucks made the wrong move ..?

The Bobcats , the nbas model franchise .. one can only dream .

If your post was served as my dinner i would bring it back to the chef and ask him what the hell is wrong with him.

Reaching how?

How am I reaching? I gave you facts! Look at the facts man...What have the Bucks done after that descision of Kohl to keep the team?

How many interferences has Kohl meddled in and how many trades did he block GM Harris from doing that could have helped?

I have heard of the Nene Hilario Carlos Boozer and Zach Randolph ones just to name a few that he tore down! All true PF's that we need now!

How am I reaching? Tell me. In fact, the more I think about it the more sure I am about it. After MJ was rebuffed, you begin immediately screwing up on lottery picks and have not won since!

4 coaches, and 4 lotteries in 6 years later...Michael Jordan cold not have possibly done worse then the Bucks have been since we kicked him to the curb!

You make too much out of one Jordan mistake...Ok, Kwame did nto work out. Big deal. Jordan only got one year. Many GM's made mistakes not just Jordan!

Say what you want, I think it is a "Jordan Jinx" and you can surely you can certainly make a case for it.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User

Post#12 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:16 am

WEFFPIM wrote:I tried reading through this whole thing and couldn't do it.

1. It was not a great trade by Michael Jordan. It was beyond head-scratching.
2. The Bucks did not go to the NBA Finals, nor set a record from going first to WORSE.
3. This was not the last straw in your Bucks fandom, as you are still here.
4. Michael Jordan had no motivation to keep the Bucks here. If he became owner the team would already be gone.

Four "paragraphs." That's all I could get through.

First off IT WAS A GREAT TRADE BY THE BOBCATS!

And it was a record setting first to worse deal when the Bucks set a dubious record of a team that went from the Eastern Conference finals and then historic collaspe the next year...what the hell are you smoking??????????????????????????????

YES IT WAS A RECORD PACE of losing for a team that went to the Eastern Conference Finals one year to where they finished the next year! DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Go check it out.

You did not finish reading it because you know it is true. I knew when they screwed that up they would not succeed and it was the dumbest move they ever made.

And Jordan was not going to take the team out of town! Those were lies for suckers to believe.

The media here wanted you to believe that becuase they did not want to cover a team run by Jordan because he would be intimidating and distant and they could not do their jobs and get to him as much.

This is a small town paper and small thinkers. Jordan would have changed that...

And was the final staw in my fandom of being a blind loyalist and unreasonable homer. Now I see the NBA for what it is...you dont.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User

Post#13 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:32 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Yeah MJ has really shown he can run a team. In Washington and Charlotte. Great job, just what I want for us.

MJ was a great player but I don't want him anywhere near the Bucks.

MJ got ONE YEAR....Just one darn year Jordan got with someone else's team and money. ONE YEAR my friend to run a team! He would not have done any worse here then what we have done the last few years.

And it was one year with a team that was in worse shape then the Bucks are now. He makes one mistake or two and people are jumping on him for one frickin mistake.

And then the nut Pollin fired him after one year turning his team around getting rid of all those bad contracts for him...and taking in all the gate Jordan gave him.

Many of you do not want to see Jordan be a success and he would have if given time. Just come off it. I guarantee you he would have done better with his own money in this team and his own way of doing things then with Abe Pollin's or Herb Kohl's.

It would have been his money, and his show, and his team and he would have had a team shaped in his own image where he called the shots like he did when he played! And he would have done it right here in Milwaukee!

He would not have been working for Bill Johnsons in Charlotte and not for Herb Kohl's or Abe Pollin in DC or for some other guy! But for us. His own show. And there is no way in heck do I think he would embarass himself with a shoddy product.

You fail to realize that...one fact.. The descisions Jordan would have made with his own team as opposed to what he made with someone else's team are two different things.

Remember that.
andonewheel
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#14 » by andonewheel » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:54 am

The only upside I see to Jordan owning the Bucks is that we might've gotten to see him in a Bucks uni for one more swan song.

Other than playing, I want him to have nothing to do with running the team. I feel like Jordan is used to playing success coming to him and nobody being able to stop him, but off of the court he doesn't have the same control over what happens. I'd rather have a nerdy obsessive guy running the team than an egomaniac like Jordan.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks