ImageImage

Michael being humble.

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

casey123
Ballboy
And1: 0

Michael being humble. 

Post#1 » by casey123 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:11 pm

Michael Redd's comments on recent success.

On team winning 5 straight home games ...
”We’re positive. You want to continue to stay humble and keep working hard. We realize that we’re gaining ground but we’re still under .500. ”

Anytime in the last few years that Bucks have won a few games in a row, Redd states that they should remain humble. How about not being humble for once and play with a sense of cockiness and toughness. What the hell give it a try.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,727

Re: Michael being humble. 

Post#2 » by Ayt » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:21 pm

I don't see anything wrong with Redd realizing that winning some games is nice, but also that they haven't accomplished anything yet. I don't want a team that gets cocky because they won some games and are a few games under .500.

I also don't think you need to be cocky to play with toughness or confidence.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#3 » by jeremyd236 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:38 pm

I'm not sure how serious this thread is but...

try playing cocky and see how long Skiles will leave you in the rotation.
GuitarGod_Dan
Freshman
And1: 81

Post#4 » by GuitarGod_Dan » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Wow - I think if Redd averaged a triple double on the season and took the bucks to a championship, people on this board would still find something to hate on him for. I don't get it... I watch almost every game every season, and I don't see half the garbage Redd gets on here. Sometimes I wonder if we're even watching the same games...
http://www.lostinaname.com <--- my band. If you like progressive/pop-metal.
austuf
Senior
And1: 11

Post#5 » by austuf » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:22 pm

Was Redd being humble when he said he was as great as D.Wade.
While an avid reader, I am not a prolific poster.
GO BUCKS!!!!!
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#6 » by carmelbrownqueen » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:28 pm

Ayt wrote:I don't see anything wrong with Redd realizing that winning some games is nice, but also that they haven't accomplished anything yet. I don't want a team that gets cocky because they won some games and are a few games under .500.

I also don't think you need to be cocky to play with toughness or confidence.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
REDD-hot22
Sophomore

Post#7 » by REDD-hot22 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:40 pm

austuf wrote:Was Redd being humble when he said he was as great as D.Wade.

when was this?
Redd, get a top-notch surgeon with all the money you have and come back at the START of next season, no later! I have a feeling you will make a HUGE comeback and play better than you ever have in your career. People are doubting you, make it happen mike.
aaprigs311
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#8 » by aaprigs311 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:55 pm

There's nothing wrong with playing with some swagger if you can back it up.
bayrdbandit
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#9 » by bayrdbandit » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:01 pm

humble is the right approach. we're not yet .500. only the celtics and cavs can be cocky. the lakers can't even afford to be cocky right now, they've had a couple embarrassing losses.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#10 » by trwi7 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:02 pm

You can't play cocky, it's very difficult to run.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#11 » by carmelbrownqueen » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:06 pm

austuf wrote:Was Redd being humble when he said he was as great as D.Wade.

Please post a link to this because I have never ever read or heard Redd make a comment like that. Was this after the recent Miami game or somethinng?
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
austuf
Senior

Post#12 » by austuf » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:31 am

Post match comments after Miami.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/36198919.html

"We challenged Wade tonight and tried to contain him the best we could," Redd said. "We did a good job. That's what great players do, try to challenge each other. And it helped that we were together all summer, too (on the Olympic team). We know each other's game. We respect his game. He's a tremendous player and if he gets off, it's going to be a tough night for us."

:)

GO BUCKS!!!!!
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#13 » by jeremyd236 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:37 am

austuf wrote:Post match comments after Miami.

"We challenged Wade tonight and tried to contain him the best we could," Redd said. "We did a good job. That's what great players do, try to challenge each other. And it helped that we were together all summer, too (on the Olympic team). We know each other's game. We respect his game. He's a tremendous player and if he gets off, it's going to be a tough night for us."

uhh....
austuf
Senior

Post#14 » by austuf » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:47 am

All with the Royal "We" as well.

I guess that's why he called his son Michael Redd II.

GO BUCKS!!!!!
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#15 » by trwi7 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:49 am

austuf wrote:Post match comments after Miami.

I'm no fan of Max, but where does he say he's as good as Wade? He never says I'm as good as Wade. He says we challenged him, we did a good job. That's what great players do. He said both the team and individual defenders who were guarding Wade did a good job.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by power4wardjinx » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:03 pm

This strata of greatness that he and D-Wade occupy, this Olympian place where greatness challenges greatness, is certainly great enough to know that maintaining humility is important when your team is 14-16.

Humility is also important when you're shooting 9-25 and nearly handing a game to a depleted Utah Jazz team whose play was so great that its coach labelled it "streetball."

The humility of greatness also remembers that when you've missed seven 3-pointers against the streetballing Jazz, the 8th miss can't be contstrued as "cocky." Humility also means forgetting that you had your shot blocked three times by those streetballers. Do you really want this guy playing more cocky?

I'm sure that what greatness really meant when he talked about humility was that Luke Ridnour, who stopped passing him the ball with about 4 minutes to play, should remain humble. Luke decided he'd seen enough of the Redd show and hit one on his own, then got it to RJ, then to Bogut, then to the Prince, then shot it himself again. Those five possessions won the game, but it's important to not get cocky about it and to remember that greatness is on your team.

A point guard should remain humble and never forget that his primary role is to get the ball to Michael Redd. :D
"Power forward ... again, that's something we'll probably have to address." - Larry Costello, Don Nelson, George Karl, Scott Skiles.
http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blog ... fault.aspx
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#17 » by zmanishere11 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:55 pm

AND 1!!!!!!!
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#18 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:13 am

casey123 wrote:Michael Redd's comments on recent success.

On team winning 5 straight home games ...
”We’re positive. You want to continue to stay humble and keep working hard. We realize that we’re gaining ground but we’re still under .500. ”

Anytime in the last few years that Bucks have won a few games in a row, Redd states that they should remain humble. How about not being humble for once and play with a sense of cockiness and toughness. What the hell give it a try.
Humility IS the best way to go...not foolishness and folly.

This team is not good enough yet to be 'cocky' and to be able to enforce their 'toughness' or will upon their opponents but it is coming.

I see some strides and some determined desire here and the team looks like they have been coached up and allowing themselves to buy into the program now.

You see motion and passing and screen and rolls and decent shots, you see man up defense body to body sliding the feet and using the arms and you see them guarding without fouling except Gadzuric at times...

The confidence and swagger will come when our Bucks can string a month or two of these quality wins together....not just 5 games.

And then they must continue to learn, accept and execute their roles and feel good about what each of them is doing in Coach Skiles system that has worked everywhere he has been with average to marginal players.

Get in the playoffs....then you can have some 'cockiness and toughness.' Until then stay humble and keep working hard and playing together and buy into what the coach wants until the GM can get us some more pieces that fit.

He is right...you are still under .500! A decent team is supposed to win at home. Especially against the teams they have beaten with the injuries and the tiredness those teams were under.

Teams like Orlando and Cleveland can show a measure of 'cockiness and toughness' because they actually are that damn good! Redd knows the Bucks are not...yet.

Lets see some sustained success, not two steps forward and one step back as Skiles as said. Then we can be justified in asking to see this genuine 'cockiness and toughenss' of which you speak...

:roll: Relax...

Return to Milwaukee Bucks