ImageImage

TI:McGrady and Landry for RJ, DJ, and CV?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

htr
Bench Warmer
And1: 61

TI:McGrady and Landry for RJ, DJ, and CV? 

Post#1 » by htr » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:56 pm

It works in trade checker and Yao wants McGrady traded. Does this one seem like a good fit for both teams?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Re: TI:McGrady and Landry for RJ, DJ, and CV? 

Post#2 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:01 pm

I don't think we can afford this deal from a payroll standpoint next year. McGrady only has a year left, but at $23mm I think versus RJ's $14mm. That is a $9mm difference by virtue of CV's and Damon's contracts possibly coming off the books. I think the team needs that $9mm. Add in the $3mm Landry makes and you've got a $12mm negative payroll differential.

Send them Redd, Gadz and CV for T-Mac and Landry and we are more payroll neutral. Now we'd dump about $28mm from next year's payroll (assuming we keep CV) while taking back about $26mm.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
BenchCoach
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#3 » by BenchCoach » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Tmac is junk! Can never stay healthy, never 100 % Even when TMac is out on the floor he lacks the burst and explosion he had in years past. I know hes older but the injuries have taken him out of his game. Now he just wants to shoot outside all day. Redd can do that for us. Its a shame because he could have been on of the best during his time.

I like the PP25's idea! But dont think they would put those two together in a trade...
apdamico
Senior
And1: 2

Post#4 » by apdamico » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:51 pm

I think a more likely scenario would be Redd to a team that has no quality SG and is over-loaded in the front court with players of similar skill sets.

A team that comes to mind is the Oklahoma Thunder. They have too many 3's through 5's, but more importantly has to play Desmond Mason as their starting SG. The Thunder is a young team in a new city that needs a true veteran superstar at the SG position and may be willing to take on Redd's max contract. I'm sure they still remember how well the trade of Ray Allen worked out for them when at Seattle. The only downside is that any trade with the Thunder has to include the other team taking on PG Watson's contract. There are many possible trades that could work cap-wise and could include Lue, CV and others, but the trade I think that works best is:

Outgoing Bucks:

SG Mike Redd
PG/SG Damon Jones (or PG T. Lue)

Incoming from Thunder:

PF/C Nick Collison (or c/PF Wilcox)
PF Joe Smith
SF Jeff Green
PG Earl Watson

The main problem of course is us then having to move RJ to be our starting SG. Of course Wilcox could be swapped for Collison and his expiring contract, but I just felt that in order to get them to take Redd's max contract and give up Jeff Green, they'd want us to take back Collison instead Wilcox's expiring contract.

With Collison, this trade would not free up as much salary cap, but would provide future insurance should Bogut's back continue to be a problem and/or CV leaves after the season. The deal would also allow the Thunder to move Mason back to his more natural position as the backup 3. Of course the trade not only gives us a stronger starting lineup, but also gives us much needed bench strength. Moreover, I believe RJ is still athletic enough to keep up with most SG's in the league and create positive match ups for us in certain situations.

Lue could be the other player traded to the Thunder instead of Jones and the trade would still work, but I just don't see Jones playing at all for the Bucks. This leads me to believe that keeping Lue would be the better choice because of his possible use should the Bucks still pursue the Conley for JA and Sessions trade. Trade works either way and the Thunder likely would prefer Lue, which is fine because it would then give us more cap relief next season. We could even throw in JA and demand a 1st round pick back in return, should the Conley deal be dead.

The problem is of course taking on Watson's contract as already mentioned because it would reunite Ridnour with Watson who originally took Luke's job from him in Seattle. Don't know how that would work chemistry-wise? However, with Watson and possibly Conley, we'd have a better long-term outlook at the position. Of course, the main issue is that if we wanted Watson over Ridnour, I'm sure that would have happened when we traded Mo. Then again, Watson was the starting PG at that time and not the player that the Thunder is now looking to trade most, along with a couple front court players.

Collison and Smith would provide much needed help up front for both the 5 and 4 positions and we'd gain Smith's 4.8 mil. in cap relief at the end of the season. We'd also gain a much younger, taller and more athletic SF in Green who rebounds very well for his position and gives us a nice rotation at the 3 with himself, LRMAM and possibly Alexander if he's not traded to Memphis or the Thunder as part of this deal.

I know it's nothing more than a pipe dream, but the lineup could look like this:

C Bogut/Collison/Gadz/Elston
PF Collison, CV, Green, Allen
SF Green, LRMAM, RJ
SG RJ, Bell, future #1 pick
PG Watson, Ridnour, Conley, Lue

or

C Bogut/Collison/Gadz/Eston
PF Collison, CV, Alexander, Allen
SF Green, LRMAM, Alexander, RJ
SG RJ, Bell, Sessions, future #1 pick
PG Watson, Ridnour, Sessions, Lue

Of course, with so many PG's either way we should be able to trade Lue for an expiring SG's contract. The downside is that the deal would lock us in with just about the same rotation for next season, but we'd gain a huge cap savings for the 2010/11 season. Then again, there are teams out there willing to trade for Watson and we could trade him before the deadline or wait until the summer to see if he's a better option than Ridnour.

The main question Hammond would have to ask himself is would be a much better team without Redd and more frount court help and bench strength?
Never under estimate the value of a Buck!
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#5 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:59 pm

apdamico wrote:A team that comes to mind is the Oklahoma Thunder.

This one is interesting. If OKC does not feel they can get an FA's to come there this year, I could see Redd at least being something they might look at. Given his Christian background, he'd be a good fit in that city. But we'd have to take back some crap contracts.

Redd for Collison/Damien Wilkins/Joe Smith would work. I'm not sure I really like that deal as much as others, but it would be an out of left field deal. We'd let Smith expire and keep Collison/Wilkins and pick up about $8 million in salary savings next year allowing the team to keep Ramon/CV if they wanted.

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#6 » by LUKE23 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:03 am

No way OKC takes on that kind of salary.

If they do strike out on FA's, oh well, they have Westbrook/Durant/Green and very possibly a big like Blake Griffin in addition to four more picks in the next two years. They will just let that team grow together, attempt to lure FA's if they can, and if not just keep adding young talent. Acquiring Redd and his $51M when it doesn't make them a contender right now doesn't seem to fit with what they want to do.

I'd love to trade rosters with OKC though.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#7 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:08 am

LUKE23 wrote:Acquiring Redd and his $51M when it doesn't make them a contender right now doesn't seem to fit with what they want to do..

At this point, even I'm starting to back away from the $51mm number and look at it in context of the $35mm number on the two years remaining after this one. So it isn't quite as bad IF your team has a really low payroll for the next two years.

This could be a deal that could be realistic this summer if OKC strikes out on FA's and they also get another high lotto pick like Griffin. They'll need to put payroll somewhere and bring in a vet two guard.

The sad part is that OKC is positioned so well that they could take on Redd and really have it be only a blip on their payroll because they are positioned with a ton of young cheap talent and more to come. It's going to be hard to lure FA's there IMO.

apdamico
Senior
And1: 2

Post#8 » by apdamico » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:49 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:The sad part is that OKC is positioned so well that they could take on Redd and really have it be only a blip on their payroll because they are positioned with a ton of young cheap talent and more to come. It's going to be hard to lure FA's there IMO.

Exactly, it's not that far-fetched that the Thunder would be willing to take on Redd's contract. Yes, they won't make the playoffs this season, but they are on a roll right now having won 3 of their last 4 games.

Redd would give them the star power that might help them lure another FA over the summer and he'd certainly be a much better option for them at the 2 then Dez. I love Dez, but he's not a 2!

Additionally, Krstic was just signed to the same type of contract (same # of years, but for slightly less salary) than Collison. Plus Collison didn't play in the Thunder's last game, which just happened to be Krstic's 1st start of the year.

Also, it's well known they have been shopping their big men (Collison, Wilcox and Smith) and it certainly is no secret that Watson's on the block.

As stated, they could actually take Redd's contract on and still have salary cap available for FA's this summer. It's these types of trades that never get discussed that ironically end up happening.

The rumor mill's talk of CV and Lue to the Thunder for Wilcox or Collison and then boom the trade takes an unusual twist and turns out it's Redd that ends up in Oklahoma.

Maybe that's why Kohl was really in on the trade discussions because it's Redd that Hammond has a deal in the works for? Why concern Kohl with Sessions or Alexander, but Redd I could see. I mean really, how many people can actually say they weren't floored when Ray Allen was traded?
Never under estimate the value of a Buck!
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#9 » by europa » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:57 am

Remove McGrady and RJ from the deal and the beers are on me if it happens.
Nothing will not break me.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks