ImageImage

What does "being patient" mean to you?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

What does "being patient" mean to you? 

Post#1 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:33 pm

A lot of fans on this board, including myself are impatient. We got criticized frequently by posters who sarcasticly chide "the sky is falling," ask for patience, and remind us that nothing happens over night.

But as I'm not accustomed to practicing patience, I want some tips as to how it's done. So please share - how are you living out your patience?

Are you a season ticket holder?

Half-season plan?

How much do you spend on concessions at the average game you attend?

How much merchandise and memorabilia do you buy in a patience-testing year like this?

If you don't live in the Milwaukee area, do you subscribe to League Pass?

What is expected of the fan who is being patient, in terms of sustaining the team? When I look at the empty Bradley Center on tv, I see little evidence that there are many patient people out there. We have a lot of patient-sounding posters on this board... are you the same 15 or 20 fans that I see on tv at the Bradley Center supporting the team? Are you showing your faith in a way that Kohl and his accountants can appreciate?

I've asked this question in other threads, but nobody ever answers. Thus, a dedicated thread.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Re: What does "being patient" mean to you? 

Post#2 » by jerrod » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:39 pm

i've actually spent more on tickets, and gone to more games this year than in any other year but i've spent very little on merchandise. last week i saw a $40 bucks shirt i'm gonna get and that will bring my grand total spent on merchandise this year to $40.

i agree completely with the premise of this thread though. good idea
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,968

Post#3 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:40 pm

I subscribe to league pass and I think I have seen at least part of every game this season. Even as they're losing I still can find a reason to tune in. This season it's Luc and CV and to a lesser extent Sessions.

As for patience, give me a reason. I want to know why I shouldn't expect the GM of the Bucks to tear this bitch down at the next available moment. I want to know why Redd wasn't dealt for anything the second Hammond was able to deal him. I want to know why, after seeing how capable Luc is and how terrible RJ is, Hammond didn't move Jefferson. I want to know what the hell he's waiting for.

I can be very patient. If Redd and RJ had been moved in a salary dump and the Bucks were throwing up the white flag for the next couple years ala OKC or Minni or Portland I could have very easily got on board and waited.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#4 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:46 pm

My patience comes from wanting to at least see the signs of a plan. I'm not someone who bases all of their enjoyment on win totals as a fan, I'm a fan that bases their enjoyment of watching a team be built for long-term success. I'm a big picture guy. My issue with impatience regarding the Bucks is that they appear to live in the small picture type thinking. Put together a vet, maxed out payroll with no hope of winning a playoff series.

I watch every game and I try to make a few a year. If we had OKC's roster and win total right now, I can say with 100% certainty I would be going to more games to watch Durant/Westbrook or something comparable.

But I need to see what the plan is. Hammond had a clean slate coming in, if he would have said, "we've been doing the same thing for too long here, trying to just get into the playoffs at any cost without thinking about future ramifications, and that is going to change" I think most intelligent fans would have bought in.

In the NBA there has to be a big picture plan. It's the hardest sport to build a contender in of the major sports. You can't just go year to year trying to make the playoffs.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#5 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:46 pm

Half-season tickets for the last few years. League Pass. Buy former player jerseys on the cheap for my kids. Probably attended in person 400 Bucks games since my first as a ten-year old kid in 1977. Was at the 1977 All-star game at Mecca. Was at the last Don Nelson coached game in the playoffs in 1987. Saw the first pre-season and regular season game at the BC in 1988. Was at game 6 of the 2001 ECF. Realize the challenges Kohl has and is grateful for his purchasing and keeping the team here. I walk the walk.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
vlietinho
Veteran
And1: 480

Post#6 » by vlietinho » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:53 pm

League Pass... Finally! Just go a season account..
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,410

Post#7 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:00 pm

Is the person who has been waiting patiently and loyally for umpteen years then suddenly decides he's done waiting, that enough is enough, is that person classified as impatient?

I used to be a die hard Bucks fan, but when I realized I cared more about the team than the players or the management, I became apathetic, skeptical, cynical, etc. I still want them to do well, I just don't care as much as I used to.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#8 » by paul » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Wonder where this thread will end up....

I'm one preaching some form of patience for Hammond so I better respond.
I purchased League Pass to view the games, have missed only two either live or on replay so far this season and would kill to be able to go to games live.
I'm a season ticket holder with reserved seats for my football team who have finished in the bottom 4 of the league the last 4 years running but haven't missed going to a single game when I've been in the country in that time.

Bucks merchandise is a bit thin on the ground around here unfortunately although I did get a friend to bring me back a Bucks T from a recent US holiday and am patiently awaiting for Press to hook me up with some gear ;) joke PP.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#9 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:03 pm

SupremeHustle wrote: I still want them to do well, I just don't care as much as I used to.

You were an intense fan back in the day. I think people here would be surprised how much you would bring it 7-8 years ago on the ESPN boards. This team should not lose fans like you, but unfortunately they've asked for it.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#10 » by aboveAverage » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:13 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:Is the person who has been waiting patiently and loyally for umpteen years then suddenly decides he's done waiting, that enough is enough, is that person classified as impatient?

I used to be a die hard Bucks fan, but when I realized I cared more about the team than the players or the management, I became apathetic, skeptical, cynical, etc. I still want them to do well, I just don't care as much as I used to.

Well said.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#11 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:13 pm

I think Bucks fans have been extremely patient given that, except for one season in 2001, this team has been a disaster since Kohl took over.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#12 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:17 pm

adamcz wrote:A lot of fans on this board, including myself are impatient. We got criticized frequently by posters who sarcasticly chide "the sky is falling," ask for patience, and remind us that nothing happens over night.

But as I'm not accustomed to practicing patience, I want some tips as to how it's done. So please share - how are you living out your patience?

Are you a season ticket holder?

Half-season plan?

How much do you spend on concessions at the average game you attend?

How much merchandise and memorabilia do you buy in a patience-testing year like this?

If you don't live in the Milwaukee area, do you subscribe to League Pass?

What is expected of the fan who is being patient, in terms of sustaining the team? When I look at the empty Bradley Center on tv, I see little evidence that there are many patient people out there. We have a lot of patient-sounding posters on this board... are you the same 15 or 20 fans that I see on tv at the Bradley Center supporting the team? Are you showing your faith in a way that Kohl and his accountants can appreciate?

I've asked this question in other threads, but nobody ever answers. Thus, a dedicated thread.
Excellent admacz, simply outstanding.

I want to know as well!?

"Patience!? 'WE TALKIN BOUT PATIENCE MAN, PATIENCE!?' Not the game, not the game, not the game, not wins, not titles, not contending, but patience!"

LOL...Iverson fans are gonna hate me... :wink: But I kid Iverson because I admire the guy at this stage of his career. I am not dissing him so relax...

But seriously,....

Patience for what!? Look, our society and defintely not the sports industry business is not designed for any of these fans so called, "patience." It is results driven. Success driven, and numbers driven.

I am a fan that is WIN DRIVEN!!! And I am Win driven ....Right.......NOW!

Not being just competitive, not just being viable, not just being entertaining....all of these things SHOULD BE A GIVEN FOR ANY TEAM, AT ALL TIMES!

Some fans in here do not have a vested interests of history with this team so they do not value what some of us do who remember back in the day, or who can see all around them that other teams in the league who were worse off then we were have now managed to turn it around, so what can't we?

Or better yet, why haven't we do so within the last 5 years or so? Why have we not been better and consistently successful while other teams with a lesser plight and history in the league seem to got it done?

Patience? Please. If anything, I am impatient with the excuses and method we are using to get back on the winning track here as I have boasted that my team (the Milwaukee Bucks') have done!

Do you realize how silly :clown: and stupid :eyebrows: I look representing an incompetant team such as this with the names and monikers and handles I use?

Now I am close to a laughingstock. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Now that gets very tiresome and old for some. And you want 'patience?'

It used to be wherever I went, being a Bucks fans back in 2001 meant respect! Now I am met with contempt and disdain and indifference. For some of us fans that makes me mad...all the years I have put in the support of this team!

And I want it turned around right now! The Bucks owe me! They owe us all...

Good thing I still have my paper bags in the dresser drawer here about to pull them out! LOL...

Patience.... :roll:
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#13 » by msiris » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:20 pm

Good thing I do not have to pay for League pass to watch the Bucks play. Watch them no matter what. Would love to watch younger player and not washed up vets. New is always better. You have to be patient if you truly are a Bucks fan.
Ride the tank
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User

Post#14 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:24 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I think Bucks fans have been extremely patient given that, except for one season in 2001, this team has been a disaster since Kohl took over.
Bingo!

Absolutely MickeyD! I have gone back and looked at it...and in the words of our good friend Kurt :usa: Angle, "it's true! it's true!" :nod:
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#15 » by aboveAverage » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:44 pm

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I think Bucks fans have been extremely patient given that, except for one season in 2001, this team has been a disaster since Kohl took over.
Bingo!

Absolutely MickeyD! I have gone back and looked at it...and in the words of our good friend Kurt :usa: Angle, "it's true! it's true!" :nod:

MBBOT's shortest post ever
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User

Post#16 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:44 pm

paul wrote:Wonder where this thread will end up....

I purchased League Pass to view the games, have missed only two either live or on replay so far this season and would kill to be able to go to games live.
I'm a season ticket holder with reserved seats for my football team who have finished in the bottom 4 of the league the last 4 years running but haven't missed going to a single game when I've been in the country in that time.

Bucks merchandise is a bit thin on the ground around here unfortunately although I did get a friend to bring me back a Bucks T from a recent US holiday and am patiently awaiting for Press to hook me up with some gear ;) joke PP.
Well that explains it...

Didnt you read what admacz said? You are one of those fans who are not here in Wisconsin am I correct? Well of course you advocate patience! You are a fan who is not here amongst this every day like are.

Fans who post in here because they are chasing Bogut and are international Bucks fans from afar do not feel what we feel. Just like you do not see Yi Jianlian fans :gossip: anymore...

Fans who have been Bucks fans :rocking: only on the heels of the 2001 Eastern Conference Finals run as well, do not feel what some of us feel.

Perhaps I speak only for myself :rolleyes: but that is the case if you ask me...but don't get things twisted here. :wavefinger:

There was a time before the internet of course where there are some here who remember when we won titles (albeit divisional) like it was going out of style, and some fans actually got bored with winning them!

I know many of you do not want to read about the 'good ole days' anymore and it bores you. But that is all some of us have to go on and have memories of!

Being fans from afar, or of recent history does not make you any more or less as loyal or as valuable a Bucks fan as me or anyone else I guess. And I am not implying that...or do not mean to.

However, nor does it make us who are somewhat long in the tooth here and seemingly, 'impatient', (if that is even the right word for it)..... any less devoted, dedicated, avid, die-hard, hard-core, or loyal then you are just because we are unhappy with the direction of this team.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#17 » by InsideOut » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:46 pm

Over the past 17 years I've seen ONE better than average season. I think that makes me patient...some might call it stupid. I paid to go to the Detroit game where Skiles gave up with 4 minutes left in the 3rd because Detroit went on a 8-0 to take a 12 point lead. I said I was done after that and not going back. If he wanted to sit RJ/REDD for being 8-30 that is fine but why sit everyone else? People were booing and leaving early. I felt like I took $100+ and flushed it. I have no patience for a quitter.

As for Hammond I have patience as long as I see a plan or progress. I have no patience if he makes things worse. So far I see no direction.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#18 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:02 pm

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Didnt you read what admacz said? You are one of those fans who are not here in Wisconsin am I correct? Well of course you advocate patience! You are a fan who is not here amongst this every day like are.
I don't live in Wisconsin either. Paul said he pays for league pass, just like I do. I don't think it's fair to call him a hypocrite or anything else - he's just a fan with a different opinion of the best strategy than the one that I have.

However, there's still a large group of posters out there who I'd like to hear from. Paul was one of them, but he was already kind enough to respond. I'm talking about the guys who argue when I say the team should be blown up, and say that we need to be patient with Hammond and with this roster. I want to know how those folks are putting their optimism and faith to work.

Most of the people who have responded in this thread are the ones who share my sentiment about the current roster.
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#19 » by Andrew34r » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:15 pm

I had season tickets since 1999. And now live in another state so just have league pass and attend games here when the Bucks play and also when I fly back to see family and friends.

I think that people have been plenty patient with this team. As pointed out earlier in this thread the last time we were really good was back in the ECF finals run we made in 2000. After the huge collapse that we had the year after that we basically blew things up. And in no time we had gotten rid of our big 3 that had given us and the city of Milwaukee its first taste of Bucks fever in quite sometime. Well that attempt failed. Sure we made it to the playoffs a couple of years but it became very clear that a piece or two was missing and we would need that piece to get us over the top.

Thats my main concern with all of this. The thought of blowing things up sounds alright but who is to say that we will fail at it again and set ourselves back even further than we already have now. That is what I will say I do not have the patience for! I am not going to wait 3 or 4 years to finally get into the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed and than realize we failed at yet another remake of this team and blow it up again. I do not have the patience for us to tank away the season to get a high draft pick but only to draft a bust that never pans out. If thats what I am supposed to be patient and wait for than im not willing to do it. I would much rather go with sure things through trade or free agency or whatever the case might be.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#20 » by msiris » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:20 pm

paul wrote:Wonder where this thread will end up....

Never caught where you are from? Are you from down under? :D
Ride the tank

Return to Milwaukee Bucks